Does Sup Forums like nu metal?

Okay so I've been indulging in some nostalgic pop rock and even though they're all shit, I can enjoy pop punk/pop emo because it's generally very lighthearted high school drama esque lyrics and catchy tunes.

Whenever I see this video now I just go crazy aaahhh! because of all the melodrama and nostalgia it has with me and girls and awkward social situations.

youtu.be/eCV2h1uHx3o

BUT I also enjoyed some nu metal but NOW when I look back at bands like Staind, Linkin Park and fucking Drowning Pool or Slipknot I cringe towards infinity. I mean all of this is pretty cringe but nu metal takes itself so fucking seriously and pretends to be the edgiest edgelords while in reality they're backed by corporate labels that manufacture "safe" edginess. I mean it's not like they're GG Allin

Anyone else feel this?

Other urls found in this thread:

banishedsoulsovforbiddendesire.bandcamp.com/album/land-full-ov-freedoom
youtube.com/watch?v=N2F3BPQ5k5I
youtube.com/watch?v=2bY3xijGb5E
youtube.com/watch?v=ussd4dNulTg
youtube.com/watch?v=0OdEYERXcNo
youtube.com/watch?v=QtFzRtcL1mU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I enjoy nu metal from time to time, i think it's a fun genre and it carries some nostalgia for me.

I do unironically enjoy In The End but other than a select few I can't really enjoy any more because it's just so melodramatic. I mean pop emo is too but the most was just about fitting in, being perfect, girlies etc. Nu metal on the other hand is like bursting out being reborn into an enlightened individual or something. It kinda stops being fun and being false preechy for me or something

I know it's all shit, but I honestly would rather listen to nu metal than pop punk, just my preference

why is that?

Metal wasn't historically as tied with anti-consumerism as punk was, so it feels jarring when you hear something like Good Charlotte being passed-off as punk.

Yes
Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, System of a Down were all great bands

>I mean all of this is pretty cringe but nu metal takes itself so fucking seriously and pretends to be the edgiest edgelords

Depends on the band
Early Slipknot never took themselves seriously, SOAD never did, Deftones were never edgy, you can make an argument for Korn but their self titled isn't cringe at all. People are calling Korn cringe then proceed to listen to Throbbing Gristle. Where do you make the distinction?

Nu Metal is kind of fun in a stupid way, but pop punk doesn't even have ironic appeal for me.

banishedsoulsovforbiddendesire.bandcamp.com/album/land-full-ov-freedoom

You do know that something doesn't have to be the most purely genuine hardcore shit possible to be good.

Is most of the nu-metal "sound" a little bit watered down and too "perfect"? Sure, it's kind of meant to appeal to a wider audience. You act as though that very concept somehow makes it shit? It really doesn't.

Two things are happening here; Either your tastes have evolved and you don't very much like the music itself (ignoring the "edgy lyrics wowzers xD" meme bullshit). If this is the case, then move on whenever the song comes through the playlist, or just tune it out. No one needs to hear your spastic negative remarks to everything. Evolving out of musical favorites is a fact of life and development.

Or; You're just a fucking tryhard who wants to seem like a patrician faggot when it comes to music. You don't cringe to infiinity, lets be fucking real. When one of those songs come on, you hear it, probably smile, and enjoy it. Is it the best music in the world? No. Was anybody fucking asking or demanding that it be considered 10/10 GOAT? No you fucking autist, stop being such an elitist.

It's like that whole joke around Nickelback when one of their songs come on "omg xD so bad!!1!". Sure everyone says it, but everyone still fucking sings along and has a smile from ear to ear when Photograph comes on the radio. They aren't a 10/10, but they sure as shit aren't 0/10 like you fucking force them to be.
tl;dr, Stop trying to be an elitist. The music you listen to and enjoy doesn't need to be 10/10 consistently. Just because something is catchy and kind of appealing to the masses, doesn't mean your ears inherently bleed. Jesus Christ go to a social situation.

I really like Slipknot's Iowa album. I like some of Korn's stuff, too. Issues is pretty good, and I don't think I ever listened to their earlier albums all the way through, but I liked lots of songs off of them.

I think they both do a great job at capturing a lot of neurotic emotions in their music. Anger, anxiety, depression, paranoia.

youtube.com/watch?v=N2F3BPQ5k5I

I can enjoy stuff like Disturbed, Linkin Park or Three Days Grace, too, but their music never felt substantial. It felt like empty, melodramatic angst. It's fun to indulge in, but not satisfying to engage with, if that makes any sense.

I'm not sure if they qualify as mallcore, but a group I've been enjoying recently is Icon For Hire. They kind of sound like Linkin Park, if Linkin Park's lyrics were written for sad 21-year-olds instead of sad 12-year-olds.

youtube.com/watch?v=2bY3xijGb5E

youtube.com/watch?v=ussd4dNulTg

I really like the Bizkit, Deftones, Korn and Slipknot. I don't like other nu-metal bands excepts for several singles.

Recommend me some biscuits. I only listened to their a few of their singles. Break Stuff, My Way, and Rolling. Maybe a few others I liked it, but never bothered to listen to anything else. Any of their albums/songs that you'd in particular recommend?

ill get back to you just gimmie some time

Significant Other is pretty good throughout

I like bring it back and killer in you from the newest album. tho that may be just cause the lyrics are only not vomit worthy like they usually are

>putting Deftones and SOAD with all of that trash

I loved the self titled. It was like really heavy funk and blind has the least cringiest lyrics Davis has ever written. [spoiler] plus dat outro where a bass is ACTUALLY PLAYED [/spoiler]

Thanks, anons.

And by
>only not vomit worthy
I mean
>JUST kinda bad

Rec me something like 3 first Korn albums musically, pls no literal copy bands like flymore

Deftones is the only good band to come out of nĂ¼ metal

>not loving fred's silly-ass delivery/rhymes

nu metal without its silliness or its angst or its juicy riffs is the most boring shit in the world
case in point: deftones

Oh also I liked Mudvayne's first two albums a lot, although they were probably on the edgier side of things.

youtube.com/watch?v=0OdEYERXcNo

Here's a song about a serial killer who made furniture out of his victim's bones. Edgy, but true story.

youtube.com/watch?v=QtFzRtcL1mU

Here's a song about the great Mayan timestream bifurcation. It's made-up bullshit, but it makes for some cool-sounding lyrics.

Gold Cobra is a good album desu, try Nookie, Hot Dog, Full Nelson, Counterfeit, Nobody Loves Me, Sour, The Truth

I'm listening to a song where he starts off by saying that he is not a joke, but the lyrics are just making me giggle.

Ironic, really.

>Hot Dog, Full Nelson

not sure if I want to listen to Fred Durst rap about sex positions, but the rest sound fine

and your problem is?

Kek, hopefully I can't understand all the lyrics but these two have killer riffs.

What do nu metal fans think of Hollywood Undead?

three dollar bill yall and significant other

everything past that isnt as good, doesn't have the same "style" or interesting instrumentation imo

i hear roots by sepultra is supposed to be great

Most of the nu-metal bands sound quite different from each other. Nu-metal is a genre based around experimentation, most of the popular nu-metal bands added their own things. Korn and Deftones started it all.

You might like Sepultura's Roots. Formerly a thrash metal band, their album Roots was heavily influenced by Korn, plus has brazilian rhythms and insane drumming by Igor Cavalera. It's not nu-metal but if it was it'd be my favorite nu-metal release.

The songs I've heard are pretty bad. It's a Slipknot lacking all the qualities that actually made Slipknot great.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BLOOOOOOOODY ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lmao we posted in the same second. Yes Roots is pretty much what I consider is a metal masterpiece. It's in my opinion way better than their earlier albums, and this is coming from someone who also adores their earlier albums.

they're a chorus machine and they're pretty good at that. pretty much all of their songs sound like singles. i like they don't stick to one type of instrumental arrangement for the majority of the songs but change things up often. that's it, there's not much too them but they're not bad

Yeah I guess I was looking at all the bands output once nu metal took off and became mainstream. I constantly hear people say deftones are the only good nu metal band. Why is that

I don't mean this condescendingly but how is it fun? maybe I need to jar my memory again. What are some "fun" nu metal songs?

chill my mane. I didn't mean to be pretentious. The cringing thing was me just exaggerating. As for your claim no I don't really have those feelings when I listen to old nu metal stuff I used to enjoy sorry.

Slipknot are god tier at writing pop metal songs. They kinda differ from meatloaf or something becausr they're never really very ballady and have lotsa agression and angst. I too used to enjoy Disturbed and breaking benjamin (if they're nu metal)

hahahah Icon for hire kinda sound like a mix between Paramore, a little bit (a tiny bit) of skrillex and yeah linkin park

couple of reasons

1. Deftones always had a big shoegaze influence on their albums. This makes your average rym/mudrone easier to get into
2. Deftones were never as ""edgy"" as Korn or Slipknot. This made your average rym/mudrone be able to like these without remembering their edgy teenage metal phase.
3. Deftones turned into a different sound after Around the Fur. So now they aren't remembered as nu-metal as much, in contrast to Slipknot and Korn who still make nu-metal and attract the edgy teenage audience.
4. Basically just a huge bandwagon resulting in a snowball effect.

Deftones being the only good nu-metal band is a load of bullshit. A person who enjoys Around the Fur can easily enjoy most other nu-metal. Just to add I love Deftones of course, but I also love Slipknot, Korn, and some others.