I have a theory for why people dislike metal. Metal is a culture shock to many people...

I have a theory for why people dislike metal. Metal is a culture shock to many people. People who are introduced to metal who don't know suffering and anger probably feel scared. They just can't deal with the raw passion, technical mastery and energy that goes into making Metal.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=luWABvDNTS8
youtube.com/watch?v=bhojlA6Gk1Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Too bad that metal sucks dick

>all 6 are wearing sony headphones
lmao

2 Cringe threads going at once! Woah!

What's the other thread?

I bet you listen to trash altrock and death grips

and metal fans can't help but tell everyone about how incredible metal is all the time and how every other genre of music is inferior, which becomes incredibly annoying. metal fans are the worst when they have to tell everyone about it

fpbp

>People who are introduced to metal who don't know suffering and anger probably feel scared
I was a sheltered, well-adjusted 11 year old with no issues and when I first heard metal and I loved it

Luckily I've grown up since then and moved on to better genres.

this might be the worst image i have ever seen

You're not wrong

top 40 and EDM arent cringe as far as i see the list

metal is a meme. people who like the genre are divided in 3 categories:
1. teens who just like the aggression and that's it. will be blind their entire lives, or will grow up.
2. dream theater and meshuggah lovers who think anything is good as long as it's hard to play
3. people with music taste who know most of the genre is pretty bad and ruined by scenesters, but like some of the better stuff metal has to offer

t. beethoven

>suffering and anger

you can't be serious.

>power, technical ability, and passion.

Jazz, soul, and funk have all of these things. Metal was a mistake.

only good metal is doom black and death

>not drone

Serious question here, if you were to impress a qt who is classically trained all the way, listens to literally only classical composers and play classicals, with a rock record, which one would you pick?

I was thinking of Lift Your Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven since it's pretty much based on movements, but I'm not too sure.

You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

fuck off, metal has been mathematically proven to be the worst music genre

I like some metal, but your post is ridiculous and cringe worthy.

youtube.com/watch?v=luWABvDNTS8

He's taking the piss, user.

>metal babby throws every other genre of music into only four groups
ree

This

GIRUGAMESH

The top-40 listener's eyes look like the cover of Soundtrack to Your Escape.

And here I thought there wasn't any YLYL thread in Sup Forums right now OP.

Metal is shite bar maybe black and folk

metal people need to stop jerking off to themselves on Sup Forums, just enjoy the music you adolescent queers

/thread

First of all, what kind of classical does she play? There is a large difference between your "generic basic-bitch" Beethoven listener, "the brass musician" Mahler fan, and the "I'm a fucking hipster" who likes Penderecki.

For the first, I'd show them something basic and straightforward. Neoclassical-progressive stuff on the softer side, with NO harsh vocals. Maybe a Dream Theater album, or something flashy but shallow like that. Rhapsody, Nightwish; maybe some folk like Korpiklaani or Eluveitie. Maybe some slightly out there stuff like Ricinn, but best to keep it tame.

For number 2, you can assume they can take more adventurous or abrasive music. Still, stay to the pseudoclassical stuff. Ne Obliviscaris, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth, maybe something like Animals as Leaders.

For number 3, weird and out there is good. Unexpect, Thantifaxath, Oxxo Xoox.

Let's be real, 99% she's one of those #1 orchestral string player types who gets scared when somebody mentions Stravinsky because they're still playing fucking Mozart.

99% of metal is absolute trash and those of us who are really dedicated to the genre know that. We have to wade through endless puddles of shit to find stuff like youtube.com/watch?v=bhojlA6Gk1Q

There's good stuff in a lot of genres. You just have to really LOOK.

im not saying metal itself is bad, its fanboys who pidgeonhole themselves into the genre are just retarded

>and the "I'm a fucking hipster" who likes Penderecki.

is this a thing? i thought he was supposed to be le microtonal god or something

for example i cant really bash metal that much when porcupine tree are one of my very favourite bands

>what kind of classical

Probably stuff like Mozart, Beethoven.. Stuff from the classical period. She's really really passionate about music though.

But I really just want to destroy her perception of music and hopefully try to show her that there is really good music outside of classical. I was thinking of old post-rock records like Hex or Lift Your Skinny Fists like I mentioned, since those kinda sound like a band trying to make 20th century music.

>But I really just want to destroy her perception of music
Don't do this. This is called "being an asshole". She likes what she likes.

Porc isn't bad if you're into that kinda stuff.

Unfortunately yeah. And the sad thing is Penderecki isn't even as good a composer as Xenakis or Ligeti, just looking at the limited tonal palette of his pieces. Compare his requiem and Ligeti's, for instance.

Definitely. Closemindedness indicates a disinterest in learning. In reality, to be a well-rounded musician or music listener, you need to listen to absolutely everything - including stuff you don't like, so you can at least know what it is you don't like about it.

funny, i always preferred ligeti but when i say that to certain people i always get a speech about how ligeti is some kind of entry level thing and how penderecki 'nailed it'
to me ligeti is much better, better sense of harmony, better 'mix' (whatever you call it when they determine the levels of instruments thru the score) and better textures

Yeah not exactly destroy I guess. More like, introduce or make aware of.

I like SUNBATHER though...

fuck you guys

But I listened to metal when I was like 15 and then realised it's fucking shit

The fans are what drags the entire genre down, most Metal Autists have zero self awareness and are your typical Feodras.

>Fat neckbeards in Trench Coats
>Hipsters with big glasses who only listen to Black Metal
>Edgy cunts who love shit like Cannibal Corpse, Anal Destroyer etc.
>2Aryan4u Stormweenies
>Scene faggots

So any of the "normal" people who enjoy Metal are forced to share with these Autists who serve as an embarrassment. Hell you can generally link the sub-genres to the worst fan bases.

>So any of the "normal" people who enjoy Metal

NORMIES GET OUT OF MY GENRE

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BLOOOOOODY ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>BLOOOOOODY ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ok, I laffed

My nigga kill yourself

I STUDIED THE BLADE

>Metal is a culture shock
>current year
Hah!

I miss this meme.

>have to wade through endless puddles of shit to find stuff like Kayo Dot

What about middle aged punks who listened to metal in the 70's or 80's?

If she really seems to think that classical is the only good genre out there, you have good intentions, for sure. You could try showing her 'in the aeroplane over the meme', to show that even music that is not as complicated as far as songwriting goes, still has it's qualities. You could also try showing her mathrock, which is both hard to preform and emotional. maybe
'and so i watch you from afar - all hail bright futures'

that was before metal became mainstream and less talented bands took over. so nowadays they would probably belong to the third category.

WHILE YOU LISTENED TO ALTERNATIVE MUSIC I STUDIED THE BLADE

>ITT: Avant-teens thinking they're way too intelligent for metal

>also ITT - autistic faggots pretend that metal doesn't sound shitty

>for most mainstream metal
ftfy
you can't deny that a lot of metal is just inspirationless and only influenced by things that sound exactly like it

Bach, you genius

SONY

My favorite metal is bronze

Eh. A lot of it isn't even that experimental or harsh to the ears compared to stuff like Krautrock.

anyone remember that steve albini on IDM thread we had a few days ago? i think what he said about IDM also applies to metal.

I don't. What did he say?

I think it's because metal is edgy enough to attract many autists and social rejects but not edgy enough to pass as sophisticated music, and this is a deadly combo that normies hate.
It's basically perceived as "antisocial edgy" rather than "cool edgy".

damn....