What happens in Slovakia?

What happens in Slovakia?

I'm going on on a Europe trip at the end of December and I have a grandfather who lives in Slovakia. He speaks little English. I've only seem him once before but my mother informed him of my trip and he offered a room in his home if I decide to visit. He lives just outside Bratislava.

Is it worth seeing? Anything I should watch out for? Are Slovakian people nice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mYqY5YELd0
imdb.com/title/tt0450278/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=1mYqY5YELd0

there is one great documentary about Slovakia, you should check it:
imdb.com/title/tt0450278/

>Is it worth seeing?
Pretty much everything built in Slovakia worth seeing - castles, cities, were built by Hungarians and Germans. But yeah, there are a few things.
>Anything I should watch out for?
Gypsies. They look brown like indians or a bit lighter. Avoid them at all costs. Don't look them in the eye. Keep your valuables in your front pocket, in your jeans. Don't wear flashy clothes that scream "ooh look I'm a tourist, pls pickpocket me". Also you should NEVER EVER give money to any beggar.
Otherwise, you should be very safe. People don't carry guns or anything like that.
>Are Slovakian people nice?
They are smug, and often dishonest, in particular with their history. We wuz "Great Moravians" n' shiiiet. They had practically no national identity before the 1800's.
That said, they are usually peaceful and mind their own business. They aren't bad people.
Also they are a bit racist, so if you aren't entirely white, you might get treated like dirt - this is mainly due to their bad experiences with gypsies, so their racism isn't entirely unfounded.

kys you lying cunt
this is why i hate magyars
not because they tried to genocide us but because they are so butthurt for no reason that they feel the need to lie about history
cities and castles were built by the majority in that area so usually slovaks
just because some castles were owned by hungarians doesn’t mean hungarians built them
slovaks nation can be traced a little after the hungarian conquest but the ethnogenesis started in the principality of nitra

slovakia is pretty nice desu
city centre are usually very pretty and castles are everywhere you go
gypsies only live in the east so you shouldn’t worry about them near bratislava

We never tried to genocide you. Don't get me wrong, we could have, we outnumbered you greatly. But instead we graciously accepted your presence in our lands and allowed you to live by our side for centuries.
It's not our fault you bought into the nationalism, and panslavic memes, and started chimping out. And for what? Yugoslavia fell apart with people committing real genocides left and right, and Czechslovakia broke in half as well.
>just because some castles were owned by hungarians
We literally owned everything.
>principality of nitra
That thing that lasted for barely 70 years? Very serious business.

>slovakia

we didn’t do shit and you tried to genocide us
more slovaks were with the hungarian kingdom than against it
also
>our lands
lmao

>We literally owned everything.
no you didn’t
some elite hungarians owned castles but so did some elite poles, some elite germans and even some elite slovaks

>That thing that lasted for barely 70 years? Very serious business.
who cares for how long it lasted
it lasted a little bit longer because it existed before the moravian anexation
it obviously connected the slavs that were living there

1939 best day of my life

Reminder that nationalism is relatively recent phenomenon (late 18th/early 19th century).

Slovak nationalism was in reaction to Hungarian nationalism and Hungarian nationalism was a reaction to German nationalism.

And there was definitely no genocide, even though Hungarian state tried to assimilate minorities, sometimes pretty violently.

WE WAZ MORAVIAN KANGS is an embarrassing Slota tier meme.

genocide doesn’t have to mean slaughter
wanting to get rid of an ethnic group = genocide

and i think we can take some credit for the moravian empire because slovaks (or the direct ancestors of slovaks) were part of it from the begining

top kek

rape doesn’t have to mean somebody touched you

looking at a woman = rape

it’s true
genocide =/= mass slaughter
it means getting rid off an ethnic group which the hungarian elite was doing in the 19th century

genocide literally means race killing
While there is broader definition of the term nowadays, assimilation still isn't the same as genocide.

Slovaks are rightful heirs of Moravians

this

>Thread about Slovakia
>WE WUZ ensues

Its simple, Slovakia was part of Moravia and then lost to Magyars through political and military events- mainly because of Franks.

1000 years later Hungary loses war and then gets Trianon'd- because of Franks.

Its true that almost everything worth seeing here was built during monarchy, but its not like Slovaks came in during 1917 and took credit, we were always part of kingdom and people who actually built those castles and towns were peasants- mainly Slovaks in upper part of kingdom.

I agree that giving us very southern part of Slovakia was unfair to Hungary, but thats politics, and if you go back in time enough to Principality of Balaton which was ruled by Kocel- son of Nitra duke Pribina, in the end we are all from Africa so yeah.

Now to original post, best thing to see here is nature and castles, cities are pretty underwhelming compared to other european countries, but are nice nontheless. If you are in Bratislava you should checkout atleast both castles and old city, you can make it in one day.
Slovak people are not so nice to be honest, one of most hostile people towards foreigners, but dont worry you wont get stabbed unless you go to bad parts, and if you dont plan on going there you wont even find them so.

Dont be afraid and witness living border between western and eastern culture

Genocide is pretty well defined by the international law.