What is the difference between Shia and Sunni Islam?

I'm not trolling or trying to start something, I am genuinely curious. I know very little about them.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=What is the difference between Shia and Sunni Islam?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lmgtfy.com/?q=What is the difference between Shia and Sunni Islam?

If I recall correctly, the two sects disagree on who should be Caliph of the Muslims, because of a succession problem that dates back to Muhammad's death.

it's so much deeper than that

all you need to know is sunnis are subhumans and shias are bro-tier

Shia muslims are slightly less annoying than Sunni muslims

What about sufis?

Idk, but the funny thing is that "Shia" literally mean "(someone) shit/poop".

in french.

But that was what sparked the whole divide, right? I don't know, I never looked too deep into sand lore.

Shias are cool. Somewhat free.

Sunnis are the ones who blowthemselves and kill you if you disagree the slightest.

this.

there's a lot of similarities but also many major differences

After the death of Muhammad,Abu bakr(best friend of prophet and the oldest of the candidates) elected as caliph but shia sad that it should be Ali(prophet's cousin).This was the first dissociation.After Ali selected as the 4th caliph,Muawiyah(general and later caliph) and Aisha(prophet's wive) demanded to Ali to capture and punish the assasins of the Uthman(third caliph).Ali asked time for investigation but they don't listened and rebelled against him.At first Ali won but on the second one Muawiyah did some monkey business and the battle has held .Not so much later Ali was assasinated.And later on Muawiyah became a caliph.

Yes that's why you can't even listen pop music in Iran.

ITT: Butthurt shias trying to label sunni as wahabi

There are Sunnis that aren't batshit crazy extremists as well, they listen to music and everything. Like there.

The thing is both side have extremism, but Sunnis are way more prone to that.

Shias and sunnis are almost the exact same

Only difference is sunnis make up 90% of the population so they are most of the suicide bombers

And shias are too busy fighting sunnis to kill us

If Shias were the majority they would do the EXACT same shit desu

Because they are way more populated and there is a country called "saudi arabia" that pumps up extremist wahabi bullshit to the sunnis thanks to their oil money .

Sunnis are more monarchical whereas Shiites lean on the side of Republicanism

This is a huge simplification but that's about it.

Inb4 butthurt from both sides

Yeah i forgot that. But my point still stands, extremism there is on both sides.

It literally comes down to whether Muhamad's father in law or his son in law were the legit succesors, all the other nunaces get ridiculous as you'd have to argue whether an office that no longer exists, and which shouldn't really be important in a theological sense, is any reason for the deep divisions that exist between these two peoples.

The reality is that this division got started as a power grab and later evolved into a cultural divide, you really can't fault Shias in the sense that it was a way for them to resist Arabization unlike the rest of MENA peoples, only Turks, a much later arrival, were able to resist this process amongst Sunnis through their own dominance and remain something of a cultural exception to this day which is remarkable as even Muslims in Sunnis in South East Asia, or Western converts, continue to become Arabized and have their original cultures deleted.

Either way their most substantial difference is the brand of Islamism they each adhere to, with Iran's theocratic republic being the model for Shias and Saudi Arabia's theocratic monrachy being the model for Sunnis.

Some might argue Sunni Islamic republics as in Egypt or Turkey are a third alternative and this may have been the case mid 20th century but today they're simply Western based frameworks for authoritarian rule. Genuine separation of Mosque and state is not currently compatible with full democracy in the Muslim world even if there's arguably a couple of countries with some foundations to build that.

Its literally the other way around. Sunnis want the caliph to be elected by the Ummah (the people) shias want the title of caliph to be property of Mohammeds family

kek
do they censor or kinda paraphrase "shi'a" on TV?

By that, is there anyone from Muhammad's family alive. Like, do they know who it is?

>Its literally the other way around. Sunnis want the caliph to be elected by the Ummah (the people)

That's some serious meme shit, the Umayyads and Abbasids were monarchical and dynastic as they come

No, most of his family has been killed off.

I meant "the righteous caliphs". Caliphs afterwards were mutli-religious and embraced all abrahamic faiths and their off-branches

Thank you! This explains some stuff.

Later Shia started to idiolicize Ali and add more people to it (12 imams etc). Kinda heretic

Yes and they are called Sayyids but these are usually come from his uncles/other relatives. His own children died off.

In french it's chiite so there's none of that issue.

The current Caliph, ISIS chief, is related to Muhammad.

same shit in different toilets...
well,...streets for india

There are tens of millions. Most of them are lying like (Abu Bakr al Baghdadi isn't), but there are some legitimate ones. For example the King of Jordan can trace his ancestry directly to Muhammad, and you can find his family tree on wikipedia.

it was Iran who popularised the idea of martyrdom for islam and they're heavily Shia

bektashi order>>>>>sunny muslims=şiya muslims

All you need to know you filthy infi...I mean...dear American friend, is that Shias are based, Sunnis are not.

An Iranian flag

xex nice one rıza baba

But there is no prove Muhamad was an historical figure, not a single one. The character Muhamad is fictional.
I really don't understand my this proven fact is still being ignored

Hello proxy, I wish you were real.

You must be new here.

It only matters in Arabic countries.

I can tell you more about it if you really want to know.

I'm more interested in the practical differences between their beliefs today than the historical origins of the split.

All muslims have similar beliefs that includes the original Shia (zyedis). The twelver shia in Iran seem to have some strange beliefs, also the way the gained power, which happened centuries after "the split", is highly controversial.

Isn't Sup Forums banned in your country?

Also, how accurate is this image?

>oman
>sunni

But that's wrong tho

Shia = Believe Ali, Muhammad's son-in-law, should have been Caliph following his death, while Sunni's think the position should be held by whoever has the 'will' to lead Islam (in this case Abu Bakr).

>But there is no prove Genghis Khan was an historical figure, not a single one.
Here, same shit but since Genghis isnt a religious leader you dont bitch about this.

As an Italian shitposter once said, imagine Goku dies. Who's the strongest saiyan alive, therefore allowed to rule over the Saiyan?
Some would say it's Gohan, some would say it's Vegeta, both with convincing arguments and a feud between the two factions would arise. Now imagine this shit goes on for 1300 years.

zaydis*

Sufi's are like monks

I'm not too familiar with DBZ but there is no convincing argument on the Shia side. I'm not Muslim (let alone Sunni) but the Shia stance is objectively silly.

shias actually have a structure with a hierarchy.

Which side caused 9/11? (assuming it wasn't an inside job)

>assuming it wasn't an inside job
it was

prepare for many more with Trump

the explosion radius

both are shit, Ibadi is where its at

Ibadies reject primogeniture succession of the Quraysh, the tribe of Muhammad, and assert that leadership of Islam, the caliphate, should be designated by an imam elected by the community from candidates who possess spiritual and personal qualities. Ibadhi leadership is vested in an imam, who is regarded as the sole legitimate leader and combines religious and political authority. The imam is elected by a council of prominent laymen or shaykhs.