I've got a few questions for those anons who studied some of the less common languages. Why did you do it...

I've got a few questions for those anons who studied some of the less common languages. Why did you do it? What made you interested in learning that language? How did you do it (As in, where did you get the resources)? What do you use it for nowadays?

I'm genuinely interested in knowing what would drive someone to learn a language that doesn't serve much of a practical use nowadays.

Pic unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

hungarianreference.com/Verbs/Verbs-Definite-Conjugation.aspx
hungarianreference.com/Vowel-Harmony.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm learning Hungarian to get their citizenship

I'm sickened, but curious.

Tell me more.

Do you just want the EU citizenship?

Yeah, that's pretty much the main reason

I'm from Vojvodina and there's this Hungarian law by which you can get the citizenship if your ancestors lived in the Kingdom of Hungary before 1918

Also i kinda like Hungary (no homo)

>Hungarian law by which you can get the citizenship if your ancestors lived in the Kingdom of Hungary before 1918

This law is reason why you cant have dual citizenship in Slovakia

Do Slovaks still hate Hungarians that much? Hungarians who live here are total bros

Hungarians genocided Slovaks. its hard to heal that emnity

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I can't even properly sperg out, because you're at least learning our language. How dare you. I want to be mad. Everyone is just using us to get le EU passport. Chinks, Russians, Arabs. You have some nerve, trying to be better than them.

Also
>I kinda like Hungary
Really? Could you be any less enthusiastic? This is fucking rude, let me tell you. You should at least really like us, or even love us, if being overjoyed is out of the question. It's like saying, well, they're out of porches, I guess I'll settle for a trabant.

>This law is reason why you cant have dual citizenship in Slovakia
No. The reason is because you Slovaks are royal scumbags. Who cares if somebody has dual nationality? Nobody does in Europe, because we have free borders anyway.

And don't think I don't know how you're treating Hungarian minorities over there. Even Romanians treat Székelys better than you do people in Felvidék. Your entire race disgusts me, getting all high and mighty, "we wuz so oppressed 200 years ago so we must do everything to become the very thing we hate the most"
*spit*

Yeah well, genocide isn't that much a big deal around these parts you know, it happens
pls no bully i have enough trouble learning your alien language ;_;

>Hungarians genocided Slovaks

Fuck off, we never lay a hand on Slovaks.

Fine. I can be nice, but next time pls lie to our face and say you actually like us, kthx. Be more diplomatic.

So how are your studies going? What level are you at? Can I help you with anything, need any explanations, tips?

I'm just covering the basic stuff at this point, trying to remember as much stuff as i can on my own before i enroll into a proper course soon

I use Duolingo (yeah i know it's shit but it helps me get the basics) + some other stuff on the internet

>tfw been thinking about using a proxy to pretend I'm a foreigner learning Finnish
In one iteration of this plan I was a 25yo girl from Maine.

Why would you even do that? What's the benefit?

See pic

It's actually less complex than it may appear at first glance. We have only three real tenses. Past, present, and future. No grammatical genders, gendered pronouns, or obligatory word order. You just put things in "Focus", the thing you want to emphasize. Én ettem levest is different from Levest ettem én. The first means - it is I who ate soup. The latter means - It is soup that I ate. Get it?
The language is overall pretty logical and simple.

Yeah, conjugating might appear complex at first, but if it makes you feel any better, once you learn word endings you can basically create new words and increase your vocabulary tenfold.

Yeah i like how Ő can mean He, She and It at the same time, also how you generally use suffixes for every single thing you want to express

However word order is pretty confusing. I don't understand vowel harmony, do you just look at most dominating vowel in a word and use it as a suffix or what?

we just...feel what's right I guess. But.

In Teniszütő there are high vowels
In Uborka there are low vowels

Thus:
ablak+ban=ablakban - in the window
szőnyeg+ben=szőnyegben - in the carpet

As you can see a word with low vowels has a low vowel suffix attached to it. With high ones you use the high versions. Actually, there are some exceptions, but overall it's like that.

Cool, thanks.

Also, is there any difference between -ok and -om suffix in present tense? Like Latok and Latom for example, is there any difference between these two?

Yep.

Nem látok means I can't see.
Nem látom means I can't see (something, like an object)

However, if you were to say

Nem eszem
Nem eszek
Both of those mean pretty much the same thing. I don't eat

Nem szarok means I won't shit (here, now)
Nem szarom is incorrect, you'd only say that if you were to say Nem szarom össze a budit - I won't make a giant mess of the toilet.

Basically I have no idea how this works.

Thanks!

Hungarian is a very pleasant sounding language desu

oh, wait, I actually looked it up.

-ok is the first person indefinite conjugation.
-om is the first person definite conjugation

Látni= to see.
Látok= I see
Látom I see (something)

This website will be invaluable to you if you haven't heard of it yet. Basically everything you would ever need to know is here. Although its a bit...dry and overly dense in information. Use in moderation maybe?

hungarianreference.com/Verbs/Verbs-Definite-Conjugation.aspx

So for example it's like
>en látom egy házat
but never
>en látok egy házat
right?

Anyway, thanks for the site, i'll check it out.

Almost.

Én látok egy házat, that's correct.
Én látom a házat.

A and Az are our definite articles. -om is definite ending. Thus you use it with them.

Egy is indefinite article. Also a number coincidentally (one), so you use it with -ok which is also indefinite.

Also here's the vowel harmony thing, he better explains it than I did

hungarianreference.com/Vowel-Harmony.aspx

Ah so the article matters as well, i get it.

Thanks for everything!

You're quite welcome. I wish you luck in learning our language. I swear it's not that difficult, just repeat this to yourself a couple of times everyday, until you start to believe it :^)

And...sorry about my manners. I'm having a terrible day, I really shouldn't let my temper get the best of me.

If it's any consolation, other Hungarians aren't such douches

>I'm having a terrible day
It's alright bro, i'm not doing better either