Unironically being Christian in 2016

>unironically being Christian in 2016

I wish I could unironically believe.
*reluctantly tips fedora*

This. I feel like it would be much easier and more fun to believe in something ultimate, but I can't just make myself believe.
I wish I could.

Same here lads. Sometimes I which being religious would lessen my suffering as it would give some sense of purpose to my life, but I can't bring myself to even slightly believe anything that you have to believe.

As an atheist I'm thinking about falling for the christian meme just because of how e d g y other atheists are.

you don't have to actually believe anything lol. i go to mass every sunday and i met my fiance during a catholic luncheon. religion is a powerful tool to fight leftycuck degeneracy.

Yeah I'm not gonna live a lie. Would rather be miserable than that.

Didn't you have any kind of religious upbringing? I know Scandi's still go through confirmation, do they not in the Netherlands?

I do believe in God but it's not life changing or anything. It's just nice to have someone you can call out to when you're feeling like shit. It might just be a placebo, but I find it helpful.

>raised in protestant household
>go through atheism phase as a teenager
>take introductory philosophy classes
>refine my position to hard agnosticism
>get a job, real life
>realize the pragmatism in organizing a society around a common religious ideology in order to preserve social values and prevent degradation
>now attend Orthodox church every week

This desu, life would be so much more comfy with an afterlife and stuff

I was raised in a thoroughly atheist household. My father however was raised strictly as a Christian and thus has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Bible and related matters. That's why he resented it so much and raised us as atheists.

>He does not revel in the freedom that comes from purposelessness
How? Why would disappointing a deity make you less miserable ?

>being a fedora

I take it your father was brought up in the reformed church? I'd probably feel the same way too if I had to attend a really restrictive church? We went to an Anglican one when I was younger and then onto a sort of non denominational protestant one.

My mother's pretty religious but she was always relaxed about imposing it on us.

Yup, reformed.

same

my parents are devout christians at least my mom is i dont know if my dad is just going along with it or if he actually believes but it seems to provide meaning as well as community

i read that as
>unironically being Canadian in 2016

No, christfags, THIS is the ultimate fedora.
>atheist phase
>preserving society
Give me a fucking break kiddo

I think the problem is in faniticism. Now I believe in God and I am catholic. I had my atheist phase when I was younger. When families and society repress people and deny them to be open minded these kids grow up with resentment and become the edgy atheist. My family didn't impose religion too strictly to me.

>this thread

The hardcore atheists I have met in real life are edgy losers.

This tbqh. Liberalism is worse than christianity.

Huh. My dad was raised Catholic, went through a mildly fedora phase in his youth (he was agnostic and then Buddhist for a short time). But then he gained an encyclopedic knowledge of religion and it led him back to the church (no longer Catholic, admittedly, but then neither are most Catholics). I also have a friend who was hardcore fedoralord all the way up until his conversion. Then he had a voracious appetite for knowledge and theology, and now he knows more than most pastors. So most of the people I know who had an intimate understanding of Christianity were strengthened in their faith by it, not the other way.
It's honestly not difficult to get into the church. Pretty much the only thing you need to do is acknowledge that you don't know everything, and that you're not a perfect person. You do bad stuff sometimes, don't lie. The crux of Christianity is Christ taking responsibility for your shortcomings - everything else is secondary. I can guarantee some legalistic """""catholic""""" is going to storm in here saying otherwise, that you need to follow a bunch of rules, etc, but you don't. As long as you can admit there's a possibility that God exists, you can start down the path of faith.

Yeah, I'm kinda like your dad although I do consider myself a catholic. I mean, I believe in God and most of what the church teaches.
I'm not a legalistic catholic, but I do think one should follow atleast some rules or atleast procure to follow them.

It's just as easy as believing in humanism (Christian virtues without God) or worshiping the free market.Throw all your nihilistic literature in the trash where it belongs, read Kierkegaard, A. MacIntyre, CS Lewish, Thomas Aquinas and Augustine. If you're an atheist who is in love with the world, then wait until you're grown up.

Why don't fucking leaves celebrate Easter?

What led your father back to Christianity after he became a Buddhist?

>2016
>not worshipping me
You're all gonna go to hell, m8s.

But Christ protect people from possessing of evil thoughts or something like that.

He didn't even managed to protect himself from a few nails, m8.