Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island
scotslanguage.com/Scots_Dialects/Insular/Orkney_uid1243
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've just come doon from the Isle o' Skye,
I'm no very big and I'm awful shy,
and the lassies shout when I go by,
"Donald where's your troosers?"

John o'Groats is the most boring place I've ever been to as a tourist.

Orkney isles have a nice flag.

so i assume, trees, sea, and nothing?

There are an incredible amount of farm houses and villages that have been left abandoned after the entire male population got slaughtered in ww1.

not much

with the dense population of england, why don't more people move to the islands?

Evangelical Christianity, whiskey distilleries but no pubs, the last Celtic communities on earth - this is the Outer Hebrides, haven't been to Orkney.

No work.

that's a good question, just checked orkenys population and its the same as as my uni lmao
I guess it's just really remote and boring, though I think they are quite involved with the scandinavian countries though in terms of trade and that

kek what were you expecting

few jobs
poor infrastructure
little housing

and because there is none of one, the other two won't appear

oh i see.
On google earth it looks like heaven to me.
I'd love to be able to live and farm there
what is the difference between celts and anglos

The British government tested an extremely nasty strain of anthrax on one of those islands. It was so dangerous that they literally had to remove the soil from the whole island just to make it inhabitable, 50 years after the test.

older folk don't speak English as a first language
really old people might not even be able to speak English above a limited conversational level

>he didn't go to the piss-up at John O'Groats' Rollercoaster World™

is this true?
What do they speak?
Also do they look different?

English history is so fun, a couple of beers, wikipedia, Sup Forums and google are making this weekend a great time

yup biological weapons testing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island

>The island was made dangerous for all mammals by experiments with the anthrax bacterium, until it was decontaminated in the late 20th century.

aftermaths was very interesting too

>older folk don't speak English as a first language
Eh? This is definitely not the case in Thurso.

>English history
delet before a scot gets here kek

>What do they speak?

Scottish. You didn't think that most Scots speak Scottish, did you?

Well not on Britain, I'm talking about remote areas of the small islands

>English history
FUCK OFF YANK

holy shit
what is the case then?
fuck'em
They can suck a fat yank cock
They voted remain.
i had no idea scottish was a language
be nice dad.

What a load of bullshit said in here. It's awful.

Orkney Islands are one of the cutest and simplest community of Great Britain. It's been voted in the top 3 places in terms of quality of life recently (2014).
Orkney have been Norwegian Islands until the 14th century, where they have been given to the scottish crown. That's why they have Norwegian influences. They even celebrate the norwegian national day.
Orkney are connected to Shetland also. Shetland are much more independant due to both remoteness and fuel resources and offshore industry.

No one speaks Scot in thoses Islands. Some old norse remain, and quite a lot of people speak Norwegian as a second language.

No one speaks Scot either in the Outer Hebrides. Many (60%) speak a Celtic language, much closer to Welsh or Breton in France. But all speak English.

To summarize : both Orkney and Outer Hebrides are quiet, beautiful, peaceful and yet lively places. Languages spoken are : English/Norwegian and Celtic/English.

Elves and oil

They do speak Scots in Orkney.

Some of them don't even have trees. The winds are too strong.

selkies

Never mind.

I though Orcadian was an isolated dialect, but you're right. Orcadian is classified as one of the sub-dialect of Scots.

scotslanguage.com/Scots_Dialects/Insular/Orkney_uid1243