Why do every Dutch person have van in their name but some Germans have von?

Why do every Dutch person have van in their name but some Germans have von?

in German Von = nobility
in Dutch Van = not necessarily nobility

>in German Von = nobility

not really. it just means that at least one of the ancestors was more than a farmer or town rapist

van = of
de = the

A lot of names indicate where someone is from. Then van is often used. Like James of London.
A lot of names are also a profession. Then de is used. James the Miller.

De or the is also used to describe traits. Like The Young (aka junior) or The White.

I'm pretty sure the majority of people don't have van in their name though.

I heard that dutch surnames have silly meaninings because a king forced them to adopt one.

Fun fact: having "von" in your surname is illegal for Austrian citizens as noble titles were outlawed in 1919. The only way they can do it is if they get German citizenship and even then they can only have the "von" on their German passport, not their Austrian one.

Its true. A lot of people didnt have last names before Napoleon.
When people had to pick a last name they didnt take it very seriously. Becauae Napoleon would soon be gone again anyway.

So you have emperors, kings, potatoes, the sweetest, nakedborns, beer, buddies, horsehair, pancakes, ghosts, hellfire, birdcatcher, sweat, the ass etc walking around.

Withoutmoney, carrot, waterdrinker, fishleg, don'tsob, rottenpeople, pissman, chickenpants etc. The list is endless.

lmfao

Croats had surnames forever

dumb western cucs

Are you for real?

It's real.

That's fucking hilarious!

This needs to be a meme

you fools
why would you tell people about this

One of my friends last name is "In het Panhuis", which translates to "in the pan house"

DELETE THIS NOW

kek

kys my man