Good Arch Linux desktop environments?

Good Arch Linux desktop environments?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/i3
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_default_keybindings
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why aren't you using windows

Heard a lot about windows spying and decided to duel boot with windows and arch. I use windows for games only.

ayy same here

I prefer using i3wm on arch

I3 is really a great choice. Can't recommend it enough.

I use to use arch linux before (and much other linux distributions) and the hassle it takes to just do stuff is not worth it. You jump straight to Z when you use windows and linux, you gotta do the whole alphabet A,B,C, etc. Really not worth it. Try windows 10, much faster than most of the windows versions and on par with Linux IMO.

I am actually very new to linux.

I've heard a lot about windows 10 and spying. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it.

What spying? Never heard of anything remotely close to that

I3 is pretty much the simplest up-to-date WM you can use. You should really try it, and if you don't like it, uninstall it. Your display manager should show it once it's installed and you reboot, I think.

Look up "Windows 10 spying" and you'll get a fucking cluster of articles talking about it. Things like Telemetry and the like.

I'll try it out now.

Oh, and also install dmenu. It's an application launcher. Since I3 is a WM, you won't get icons and shit, so you'll probably want it.

sudo pacman -S dmenu
if it isn't already installed.

>Windows 10 spying
Well, if you really don't like windows at all, I'd recommend a stacking window manager because they're much simpler to use. Openbox is really nice if you can configure it to the way you like, but if you want something already done and on the go, then Xfwm is good for low clutter-mode

Guys, say you played the game Garry's Mod or CSS on Windows and Linux. Which would get better FPS?

Not the same guy, user.

I agree. Typing sudo pacman -S chrome is a cluster fuck compaired to launching IE, dodging it trying to take over your PC, closing all the popups about addons, hoping you don't get a virus, hoping bing doesn't take control and force every URL and search use it, finally getting to Chrome's website (maybe), and downloading chrome, installing it, asnwering the 5 popups from Windows asking if you really want to use Chrome instead of IE, rebooting the system to kill all the IE processes, logging back in to Windows, launching Chrome, answering more popups asking if you want it to be default, then FINALLY going to Sup Forums.

Without Windows we would live like cavemen.

If you have programming pretensions and are interested by functional programming, try XMonad. It's rock solid (the core is proved in Coq), crazily extensible and configurable.

Could you help me out on getting i3? Like I said I'm still new to this. I'm not a complete idiot, I'm just not used to this stuff yet.

What do you need help with, in particular?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/i3

ur mom would get better fps

I guess just starting out. I'm sure I could figure it out from there. What command would I use to get it?

So you're saying linux (arch) is superior? Takes you 1 hour to install (implying you don't fuck up any commands, then you add an extra 3 hours to your install) where as windows takes maybe 20-30 minutes? Ok, I see what you're saying user

No, really. What is the consensus about Linux vs Windows when it comes to steam games? Which is better in framerates?

If I'm to believe what I've heard, it's pretty agreed-upon that Windows is much better with anything gaming-related than Linux. But I wouldn't personally know, since I don't game.

Install Arch using Antergos or Architect.

Get good, scrub.

Arch takes near to nothing to install. It may take more afterwards to install everything you want if you don't know it very well. At least use the right arguments man.

Gayming
Windows
kill yourself
Install gentoo

sudo pacman -S i3 dmenu

You could add the line
exec i3

to your .xinitrc, and once you launch your i3 session, you can create the default super/mod key which will control the flow of your keybinds and such. It's usually Alt or the Windows button, so, for example, I could add a keybind to my i3 config that would look like "bindsym $mod+Shift+f (command)", and when the super key plus shift plus F are used, it would execute a command.

Also, the syntax for the command would be something like "bindsym $mod+Shift+f exec firefox", so you'd put an "exec" in front of the command.

Agreed, they really took it too far with Windows 10. I mainly use Linux but have used Windows off and on pre-10 but even casually i dont think I'll feel comfortable with it again.

Wake up dude.

Personally I like open box and compton for a simple floating window manager. You can design things exactly how you like it but avoid all the stuff you'll never use, I think it goes perfectly with Arch personally.

If you actually know what you're doing it only takes about 15 minutes.

Okay so I did that. I'm sorry but I really don't know much. But I plan to start learning. So how do I start using the desktop environment?

Someone please explain the difference in gaming when it comes to Linux and Windows. Which would be best? Would I be able to completely dismiss Windows and start using Linux for everything, including gaming?

Nice. So it's actually installed and running?
If so, check out some of the keybinds present in /etc/i3/config or ~/.i3/config, or wherever it may be.

i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_default_keybindings

For example, once you've set your $mod key, (I'd recommend the Windows key do it doesn't interfere with applications that use "Alt"), press the key along with enter/return and it'll spawn a terminal emulator. Mod+d opens dmenu, the application launcher, etc.

Either one you can live with. Linux has games, but not as many as Windows. Steam works great. PlayonLinux can help you configure some Windows-only games to run in Linux. You also have open source games if you like being a badass nerd.

Also, MUDs work great on every OS. All you really need in life is a good MUD.

No, you won't have all the games you want. Except if you only play emulator games like me, in that case it's ok.

Playing games is not a very good hobby, find others. Fucking your gf/bf is a good one.

The only games I play are already on Linux. I just want to know the difference in both? (the FPS, mainly)

Or pacman4console.
Shit's so fun.

I don't think that its running. I did sudo pacman -S i3 dmenu but thats it. I don't know how to do the other stuff.

Ask on Sup Forums.

It really depends on the game. Take Shadow of Mordor for example. On my system (i5 4.0ghz Skylake with a 980ti) I get 10 more FPS in Linux than Windows (109 vs. 119) on full tilt. Source games tend to be the same FPS, but more stable on Linux. (Not that it matters with a GPU like mine since most source games run about 200 FPS no matter what.) I get the same FPS in Arma 3 and and Boarder lands. The only real drop I have ever seen has been with non-native games using Wine and bad ports. Some devs try to take the easy way out and use Wine instead of porting their games or do the most minimal port possible. If you keep up with websites like Gaming on Linux you'll be able to get a better ideal about games like that. Personally, if it's not on Linux or stable I usually don't buy it.

I just hope League of Legends would come on Linux. That would be awesome.

I also should point out those Shadow of Mordor numbers are launch day numbers. I hear it had a boost after that, so they might be more even now. I haven't bothered to reinstall it in Windows 10 to find out.

nano ~/.xinitrc
Or wherever the file resides.

Put a pound symbol (#) in front of your current DE inside that file. Underneath that, place "exec i3" without the pound symbol. Make sure to save with ctrl+o.

It should look like:
#exec whateveryou'reusing
exec i3

To reverse the change, put a pound symbol in front of "exec i3" and remove it from whatever you want to use. Then reboot for good measure and run the command "startx", and do NOT "sudo startx".

I like Awesome WM

How would I find were the .xinitrc file is at?

Use Playonlinux. After you install LoL, configure the launcher in PoL and change the wine version to the most recent LoL staging version, I think it is crurrently 1.9.2-staging-LOL3, set your video memory in the display tab, then run the game in window mode on your first match. You'll be golden. May I suggest your first match be with all bots to avoid getting leave buster if you have to xkill the window.

If it's not in /etc/ or in your home directory, then use

sudo find / -iname ".xinitrc"

Don't forget that there's a period in front of "xinitrc", which dictates that it's a hidden file.

Don't edit the one under /skel/.

I ran the command and nothing happened.

How autistic are you if it takes 1 hour to install it

Well, the first time I installed arch and how no clue wtf it was took me more than 1 hour (had to restart multiple times), but now it would probably take me like 20-30 minutes. Still not worth all the hassle when you can just put windows on a usb and install it without doing anything and it takes 10-20 minutes.

>good
>linux
Pick one.

Just wondering, how did you install KDE?
Or is that even you in the OP?

I am op, and I am also very new to all of this. What is KDE?

top kek

I really am sorry about this, you don't have to waste your time on me.

KDE is Klondike Dick Event

I'm just kidding. It's a bloated windows manager. Don't use it.