Any Finnish anons here?

Any Finnish anons here?

I have to write an essay in uni about the cross-subject teaching system in Finland. What can you tell me about it?
Do kids really study 'cafeteria services' instead of math? Other examples of studied topics?

Other urls found in this thread:

uta.fi/en
helsinki.fi/en
sciencealert.com/no-more-physics-and-maths-finland-to-stop-teaching-individual-subjects
youtube.com/watch?v=Wof0xPUmW38
youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-FOOQ1TpE
ylilauta.org/opiskelu/
oph.fi/english/current_issues/101/0/subject_teaching_in_finnish_schools_is_not_being_abolished
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

*throat sings*

i have no understand

uta.fi/en
helsinki.fi/en

There are a few homepages of finnish universities.
I'm confused about the term cross-subject.
I mean if you go to a school that teaches you how to become a cefeterian then yes, you'll be taught that. You've already learned all the math you need, but there are a few recap courses in every school i'm pretty sure.

Not sure if this is what you needed at all, you said "teaching system" do you mean like child, teen or young adult students?

I'm too old to be able to help. I sincerely apologize.

>If it's working, break it.

Yes our current goverment is fucking awful.

I'm confused in how this is going to work, who decides who will be taught what? I get that a chef will be taught cookery, hygiene, maybe business studies, etc, but who decides this child will become a chef (and not for example an accountant) and teach them those cooking subjects? If it is the child who decides, then when? Surely even 12 years old (start of high school) is too young to decide what career to choose?

It's pretty sad that it's still one of the best systems in the world and it's pretty bad.

Lots of improvements to make, we basically need to rework the whole thing.

But if we do it right it can be amazing

Good on them for trying shit out so we don't have to

Everyone goes through grades 1-9
At these grades you can choose extra language if you want to. English and Swedish are mandatory.
You can also choose between woodworking class, or some housekeeping shit or something like that, you know wash clothes and make food type of shit. Or some schools have both.

After 1-9 grades you will either go to a gymnasium or tradeschool where you will study a trade, for example car aspie or machinist etc.

After these 2 there are higher tiers of education like university or danker trade school.

>But if we do it right it can be amazing
Well cutting massive amounts from education sure isn't a step towards the right way.

The children themselves decide what school they go to. You need to decide whether you go to highschool (lukio) or vocational school/trade school/career college/technical school (used a translator for ammattikoulu)

You decide this after upper comprehensive school/junior high and you're 14-16 years old at that point.

Those schools are 2-4 years, usually completed in 3 years. After that you either get a job (more likely for people who went to vocational school because that basically prepares you for a certain job; cook, hair stylist, painter etc)
Or you can choose to get more education in either university or in college/university of applied sciences. You can also always choose to get more education no matter your age. But if you never skip a year or get a job you'd be studying whatever you want from 15-23+ years old

That has no relevance to the question

While true it's kind of insignificant.
We don't need funding for education, we need funding for creating a new education system.

Who knows, maybe whatever we might come up with might even be cheaper than what we have, that should get people excited

So it is basically applying what vocational colleges have been doing for decades to every career, doctors as well as electricians?

A good idea in my opinion, better than here, having to choose three different subjects when you are only going to use one, maybe two, in university. For example, I have an comsci degree, so I studied IT in college (senior high), but also had to study two completely unrelated subjects because IT was only taught as a single subject. A complete waste of time and effort. I could have learnt so much more in software, networking etc, leading to a better university education (if I even needed it to write code) instead of wasting time studying the effects of erosion on exposed soil.

I'm NEET currently trying my hardest to get to a school this year and I just visited a career support psychologist. It was interesting and I learned something new. For example last year in my city (which is one of the biggest student cities in Finland, Tampere) more than 1300 people applied for psychology studies, only around 30 were taken in. So they have to make entrance exams and some courses are really dull and even offtopic so they get the people who are willing to study something complete ass just so they get to study psychology.
It's a weird system. In our uni you also choose your main and secondary subjects , but I'm not sure if the secondary is mandatory.

Still confused about OP because cross-subject is a new term for me and I don't know what level of education he means.

I'm confusion

I dont answer to greeks.

sciencealert.com/no-more-physics-and-maths-finland-to-stop-teaching-individual-subjects

>ically, instead of having an hour of geography followed by an hour of history, students will now spend, say, two hours learning about the European Union, which covers languages, economics, history and geography. Or students who are taking a vocational course might study 'cafeteria services', which would involve learning maths, languages and communication skills, as Richard Garner reports for The Independent. So although students will still learn all the important scientific theories, they'll be finding out about them in a more applied way, which actually sounds pretty awesome.

Holy shit. We don't even have to meme about our country anymore, the media does it for us.

Yeah, we also have door opening studies where we are taught how to properly open a door.
youtube.com/watch?v=Wof0xPUmW38

>So although students will still learn all the important scientific theories, they'll be finding out about them in a more applied way,
But why? I thought this was supposed to cut down on learning stuff you don't need, what does a hairdresser need to know about Newton's 3 laws or relativity?

>1300 people applied for psychology studies, only around 30 were taken in. So they have to make entrance exams and some courses are really dull and even offtopic so they get the people who are willing to study something complete ass just so they get to study psychology.

College/universities are scams everywhere in one way or another.

Oh yeah that thing, forgot about it.

>Individual subjects started being phased out for 16-year-olds in the country's capital of Helsinki two years ago, and 70 percent of the city's high school teachers are now trained in the new approach.

I don't think I can explain it any better than that article, we're trying something new and that's pretty much it.

Might be a good things but obviously there are always risks when trying out new things.
Everyone should know the basics of our universe, (I think) the idea is to have a smaller gap between the people who do the dirty work and the people with high education.
Less people being pit against each other for no good reason.
But I need the papers to be able to do anything in todays society
youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-FOOQ1TpE

Also you might find more help here.
Finnish sub -board for studying
ylilauta.org/opiskelu/

oph.fi/english/current_issues/101/0/subject_teaching_in_finnish_schools_is_not_being_abolished

It's a meme made up by international media.