ITT: We guess books by their first sentence. Here's a few to get started

ITT: We guess books by their first sentence. Here's a few to get started.

>The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon.
>Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
>If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all that before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.
>umber whunnnn yerrrnnn umber whunnnn fayunnnn; These sounds, even in the haze.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

>>Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

hitchhiker's guide the the galaxy

>If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all that before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

catcher in the rye

Easy mode:

>Midway upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a forest dark for the straight forward pathway had been lost.

The first thing the boy Garion remembered was the kitchen at Faldors Farm.

fear and loathing in las vegas

>The boy with the fair hair...
Lord of the flies

1.Lord of the Flies, William Golding
2.HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
3.Catcher in the Rye, J.D Salinger
4. Misery, Steven King

>The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon.
Lord of the Flies

When shall we 3 meet again? In thunder, lighting, or in rain?

All correct

When he was thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.

>On my naming day when I come 12 I gone front spear and kilt a wyld boar he parbly ben the las wyld pig on the Bundel Downs any how there hadnt been none for a long time beor him nor I aint looking to see none agen.

Hint: one of the greatest sci-fi novels ever written.

>Well, my prince, Genoa and Lucca are now no more than possessions, estates, of the Bounaparte family.

>Samuel Spade's jaw was long and bony, his chin a jutting V under the more flexible V of his mouth.

>A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy balloon of a head.

Picture of Dorian Gray??

Tequila Mocking Bird

MacBeth

>"Dragons," said Mollander.

Past, Present, and Future?

Not sure what you mean?

None of the 4 opening lines are from a book of that name though.

>Well, my prince, Genoa and Lucca are now no more than possessions, estates, of the Bounaparte family.

Warren Peace?

Correctamundo

Dubs checked.

Aye, forsooth

>Midway upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a forest dark for the straight forward pathway had been lost.

Dante's Inferno

Took y'all long enough.

Longfellow translation, btw.

>The time traveler (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.

On the 24th of May, 1863, my uncle, Professor Liedenbrock, rushed into his little house, No. 19 Königstrasse, one of the oldest streets in the oldest portion of the city of Hamburg.

the time machine

the second one is hitchkikers guide to the galaxy!

ccccoooorrrrreeeccttt!!!! ding ding ding!

> Aton 77, director of Saro University, thrust out a belligerent lower lip and glared at the young newspaperman in a hot fury.

>I still get the shakes before the drop

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.

> super easy mode

harry potter

The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer.

Starship Troopers?

CORRECT

>It was a dark and stormy night

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

a wrinkle in time

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born,

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel

Feast for Crows

.I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, I came here to tell you how this is going to begin

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.