Does being an Atheist make you more intelligent?

Does being an Atheist make you more intelligent?

Other urls found in this thread:

strangenotions.com/atheists-higher-iqs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No. But, more intelligent people tend to become atheists. Just like being an NBA player does not increase one's height.

yes because you know how fucking stupid it is to bellieve in fairy tales and bullshit

No, but being intelligent makes you more likely to be Atheist.

Does being a monkey make you more intelligent?

being intelligent makes you atheist

No. It just makes you autistic and means you have daddy issues.

Intelligence is such a broad term that not even these dumbasses know what it means

Hard to say. Being a VOCAL atheist definitely makes you an asshole, though.

Being Atheist often leads to arrogance, arrogance eventually increase ignorance and ignorance leads to poor decision.

> You can claim knowledge but if you don't have any wisdom good luck in applying that knowledge.

Exactly. Like, I know how to use a computer, but I don't have the wisdom to do anything with that knowledge but visit Sup Forums.

True. As does being a vocal theist.

As soon as people open their mouths, they let their stupidity show.

Of course, with no dialogue, no one learns anything... so maybe our society just needs to be polite and remain stupid. I don't know.

Good luck in applying that "English".

That sentence you wrote proves you're a fucking retard

Just as retarded as those who say people that are Theists are more intelligent

No but it means you get dual citizenship with Africa, which is pretty cool.

No, that's not even close to being accurate. In my experience it is people of far lesser intelligence who gravitate toward atheism. They embrace it as proof of their intellectual superiority much like how an awkward child must have Air Jordans to prove what a great basketball player they are.

Theist>Atheist>Agnostic

>arrogance

I wouldn't start off down that particular road, user. It's not one of the ones we have a good record of traversing.

>No, that's not even close to being accurate. In my experience
>In my experience
How about you look at some data. Atheists tend to have higher IQ than theists.
>in before IQ does not mean anything!!!
>except when used with racial arguments

Clearly, a point which cannot be refuted. Nay, ought not be refuted. Much edukate. Super smrt.

Everyone is agnostic, you 12 year old.

No one "knows" the unknowable, that's what faith is for.

Sounds like your only experience is with stupid people. There is absolutely zero proof that an invisible sky wizard exists. Only a very stupid person believes in magic. The very second that someone reveals that he believes in magic, he is put into the "moron" category. To even say "in your experience" proves that you are stupid. Anecdotal evidence is not real evidence. "Your experience" is not a valid statistical sample, it is a self selected, BIASED selection criteria.

Point proven.

No, being a Christian and/or Muslim makes you a dumbass.

no, it just means you have a low tolerance for nonsense

This guy. This guy right here.

Fuck you and your stupid data. Go outside and be foolproof yourself if you want to see examples.

strangenotions.com/atheists-higher-iqs/

>the current year of our Lord
>being a gaytheist

>religious source
>hurr durr.

yes

Jesus loves you anyway, user. God bless!

No

More intelligent than whom?

>Doesn't bother to read the source
>"nearly all the greatest, best, highest, most beautiful minds that ever existed were theists. Aristotle? Augustine? Confucius? Aquinas? Bonaventure? Copernicus? Bruno? Kepler? Galileo? Pascal? Descartes? Newton? Bach? Mendel? The list is endless."
>Doesn't argue about this

This is why Atheists are stupid. They're not open minded

Highly religious countries (Barber, 2012):

Are poorer.
They are less urbanized.
Have lower levels of education.
They have less exposure to electronic media that increase intelligence (Barber, 2006).
Experience a heavier load of infectious diseases that impair brain function.
Suffer more from low birth weights.
Have worse child nutrition.
Do a poor job of controlling environmental pollutants such as lead that reduce IQ.

Also check out Zuckerman's study The "Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations"

And yes, when I go outside I see religious people pushing their stupid ideas, denying evidences. This is not a matter of opinions anyway when we have data.

It is proven that religious people have lower IQ's.

Have a nice day.

Than being a non atheist u "whom-ing" fuckface

>instead of logical reasons, make counter arguments by ridicluing his stature and social standings

We found the neckbeard.

Same thing could be said about Atheism. Just as there any ignorance in religious people there also ignorance within people who are atheists.

Dont forget hitler ;)

name one that isn't from over a hundred years ago

it doesn't make you smarter, but it does show that you're not a complete moron

Sorry to hear even the "ignorant believers" didn't like you.

The pope

No, being an Atheist doesnt make you more intelligent. Being vegan does.
Think about it

Shut up dumb faggit

I think that Scientifically intelligent people will question the existence of god more often, since their field relies on evidence to form results.

The question I struggle with is does believing in God mean believing in an actual higher being or perhaps believing that people have souls.

well, it didn't make this guy any more intelligent, so I guess the answer is no

I dont think I'm intelligent in any way, nor would I say I truly believe in god.

Why does anyone care?

What a dumb discussion! Hurr durr I'm an atheist I am so smart hurr durr! I don't really believe in God either but I tend to be jealous off religous people! Because they have something to believe in, something to explain their lifes! Atheist are just some faggots who say "oh I don't believe in things I can't proof but I believe in the Big Bang Theory (which they personally can't proof either, but sience says so, so it's totally legit) and I don't have a real explanation for my existance! Oh I am so much smarter than Theist.."

So what do you think of USA, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Italy, Vatican.

No, but religion makes people dumber so atheists just appear smarter by comparison.

Wtf are you talking about. Shut up

If you have been indoctrinated well enough you can still be intelligent while being a theist.

>Saudi Arabia, Qatar
Oil rich countries. Having a lot of money mitigates some societal problems, but are you really going to argue Saudi Arabia and Qatar would not be better if they were secular? If so please dial 1-800 Come on Now

>Italy, Vatican
Corrupt as fuck. Again, relatively rich but not because of resources but because of leeching money from gullible catholics the world over. Hardly a paragon of ideal society.

>USA
A rich secular country built on secular values taken over during the Red Scare by Creationists (literally the most retarded tier of Christian).

>TLDR they're outliers, just as every statistical study has outliers.

No, but being a theist does make you dumber.

Please explain how not believing in a god means you have "daddy issues", without projecting your own ones onto the answer.

Because there sure are no vocal asshole theists.

>theist
>intelligent

>Theists
>open minded
>literally operate their belief structure by being as close minded as possible

You have to actively be dumber to be a creationist of any form.

No. God makes you more intelligent. It's your choice to accept him or reject him. That is his gift to you.

bait

>and/or
Wat?

Das rite

No, but only stupid people are theists in the modern day past adulthood.

It should be dibz vedora

Atheists are one person

Of course not. One's religious beliefs are mostly unrelated to one's intelligence.

Untrue.

Nigger feet nigger feet

I would love to see what Dawkins would do, if say he was held against his will, tortured, then had a gun to his head, facing death. Would he "all of a sudden" believe in "God". Curious.

Dawkins bases his views on the 5 senses
He as a scientist should know better than anyone that the scientific method is limited, as are our perceptions. So no, I don't think it makes you more intelligent. I think it strengthens your illusion of being in control.

Are you asking "Would he lie in order to save his life"?

In which case, what exactly are you hoping to prove?

noted, theists are violent with fantasies of torture and coercion
thanks for the insight

I am pondering whether the fear of loosing his life would erase all scientific "reasoning" and "logic", and he would surrender to something he rejects at his final seconds of life.

How do you know I am a theist? Because my hypothesis appears anti-atheist?

Once again "Would he resort to anything and everything when tortured and threatened with death"?

You're literally pointing out you become illogical at that point. Not a good argument.

No, because you're weird and twisted with no logic.
Sounds like a theist.

Yes, he would. Just like every other Atheist. Because we're all human. Anyone that says otherwise is lying.

I think that means you're "crazy"

Scared of facing death, huh?

Wow, a living creature is afraid of dying.
Fancy that.

“But at least learn your inability to believe, since reason brings you to this, and yet you cannot believe. Endeavor, then, to convince yourself, not by increase of proofs of God, but by the abatement of your passions. You would like to attain faith and do not know the way; you would like to cure yourself of unbelief and ask the remedy for it. Learn of those who have been bound like you, and who now stake all their possessions. These are people who know the way which you would follow, and who are cured of an ill of which you would be cured. Follow the way by which they began; by acting as if they believed…
Now, what harm will befall you in taking this side? You will be faithful, humble, grateful, generous, a sincere friend, truthful. Certainly you will not have those poisonous pleasures, glory and luxury; but will you not have others? I will tell you that you will thereby gain in this life, and that, at each step you take on this road, you will see so great certainty of gain, so much nothingness in what you risk, that you will at last recognize that you have wagered for something certain and infinite, for which you have given nothing.” The Thoughts of Blaise Pascal, Pascal’s Wager (1657-1658), translated (1910) by W. F. Trotter, Blaise Pascal

>Still believing in fairy tales

How does it feel to be primitive, anons?

This has to be bait. Not taking a position in this argument, theist or atheist, but it's demonstrable fact that a population of atheists have above average IQ.

No. I think you're crazy.

Yes, because it's the end.

There's no proven correlation between inteligence and atheism, several countries with rather large groups of atheists do, however, present excellent economic safety/stability, if that's because more money provides better formal education or is more related to comfort/free time is up to debate.
(btw, i'm assuming that by inteligence you mean logical thinking, IQ etc, given your pic of Dawkins, but let's not forget that there are more types of inteligence)

This

Pick one.

I would rather say he bases his views on what can be tested. Since the hypothesis of god's existence doesn't come with any falsifiable predictions it should be taken just as valid as any other unfalsifiable claim.
Of course science has its limitations. But you won't get beyond them by simply guessing. And how should one choose one specific unfalsifiable claim over another?

>>Does being an Atheist make you more intelligent?

No, but people are sure diluted into thinking it does.

For the truly scientific, the idea of a being or beings that exist above us is completely possible, especially given the extreme limitation of what is known in our universe. That fact alone is enough is provide reasonable doubt to atheism, not to mention that everything in the universe is created from a single underlying omnipresent, omnidirectional energy that can be construed as evidence of the presence of a single God creator.

But if your lack of imagination and ignorance of scientific principles makes you feel better about yourself, then so be it. Ignorance is bliss.

4. Pure Agnostic.

We are all Agnostic.

>"nearly all the greatest, best, highest, most beautiful minds that ever existed were theists..."
>selectively cherry picked list, of thinkers from antiquity, when humans still had very limited knowledge about the universe or it's origins.
>leaves out tons of extremely well respected atheist thinkers and inventors; Tesla, Nietzsche, Kant, Schopenhauer, Turing, Bentham. Comte. Dewey. Empedocles. Godwin. Heraclitus. Schrodinger. The list is endless.

This is the smartest thing I've read on Sup Forums all year.

obviously

In its own ironic way both atheism and theism provide the same result, feeling better about not being in control, but one certainly has caused less genocide over the years than the other.