If friction causes heat. Why does faster winds make you cooler

If friction causes heat. Why does faster winds make you cooler.
Serious questions, Im a chef not a scientist, thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10174882
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

I want to know the answer to this aswell
>inb4 retards

That's like saying "If I rub this ice on my skin really fast, why it no get hot?"

The air is cold and when it rubs on molecules in our skin our skin gives off some of our heat and makes the molecules in the air colder.

Yeah. why dosent it get hot.
Still wondering.

I said colder, I meant it makes the air warmer

wut?

Fucking ice. It is cold. It doesn't generate much friction. Same with wind. You'd have to be traveling the speed of a space shuttle on reentry to generate enough friction with our atmosphere to generate heat.

wind draws heat that is radiating from your body away
if the wind were fast enough though, think meteors burning up in reentry

Why is it that I can draw on my eraser with pencil. I should just end it all right now

It does get hot, but only if you're free falling from space at over 9000 miles an hour and through the thick part of the atmosphere where heavy gasses are. Otherwise the friction regular air gives off is more drag than actual heat

will another eraser erase the eraser?

Retards

>implying drag and friction arent the same thing

but ice burns....so you will get burnt....

Im starting to regret even asking this now. Seems i dont even understand the answers im getting :D

I think what is implied is that drag is caused by friction, but not enough friction to generate heat.

it's because the speed of the wind carries the heat away faster than the heat builds up

that's why it's so cold in antartica, because of how fast the winds blow there, it blows all the heat up to africa and the equator

perhaps...

makes me wonder how this would all work in water. how woud the phase transition of water effect the friction of an object moving through the water as exceptional speeds

I've thought about this, too, but the answer is quite obvious. You are heating up your environment starting with the thinnest layer of air surrounding you. The wind keeps blowing away that closest layer so the energy you radiate is carried away. Faster winds are just taking away that energetic air surrounding you quicker and further.

You need a certain amount of friction before something heats up. When it comes to solids, like when your rub your hands together, it's much easier because of both the amount of molecules and their density. Air, which is a gas, does not have nearly the same concentration of things rubbing up against one another. That's why you'll only see friction generated by reentry into the atmosphere, like the space shuttle landing or whatever. It takes ridiculous speed given the reduced density of molecules, and that's WITH a surface designed to catch as much air under it as possible.

well actually friction does cause heat, air blowing past you causes barely any as it is in a gaseous state(free molecules traveling around)

Air is cool naturally on earth if a lot of air particles are traveling past you they are generally cooler than the outside of your skin, as each one passes you it takes a bit of heat. Like going outside and its gradually gets cooler when its windy(all your heat going away). this leads to death when the body cant generate enough heat. But in the case of a fire air hot enough blowing fast enough can combust leaves/trees that are not even touched by flames yet

The friction from the water would probably disintegrate the object before it generated enough heat to even notice.

Thermodynamics.

So fucking wrong

its a hypothetical
we shall pretend the object traveling through the water is a duranium-alloy coated diamond or some nonsense

everyone ought to also remember that moisture is also evaporating from our skin. even if its minute it still causes evaporative cooling

It's because the air drags away sweat which allows the body to generate more sweat to cool the body down even more

Objects in contact, over time, equalize in temperature. (You put food in the oven/fridge it slowly gets hot/cold)
The greater the temperature difference, the faster heat moves from one object to the other. In still air, a pocket of warm air develops around your body, this slows the flow of heat from your body to the air.
A fan blowing on you keeps your body in contact with room temperature air, and allows for faster heat transfer away from your body.

This is an over simplified answer, but hopefully it's easy to understand.

Watch a video on " forced convection " if you want more info.

Think of a sand blaster, but with water. Have you ever been sprayed with a shit ton of water moving at high speed? Shit hurts man. Water jets are used to cut metal. I guarantee your object would be disintigrated before it generated any noticeable heat.

Thank you.

Has to do with the AMOUNT of friction something causes against something else. A rough match against a grainy patch of a match box ( with the correct chemical influences) causes fire.

A free flowing substance like air rubbing against your semi smooth skin creates almost no friction.

>almost no friction
>almost

nice try government shill

NEXT explanation

Just because there is friction doesn't mean you start on fire....

do you not know what hypothetical means?

strawpoll.me/10174882

Selena... By Far

When cool air is in contact with your body, heat is transferred from your body to the air (at a rate proportional to the temperature difference). That's conduction. If the air isn't moving, then the layer of air surrounding your body is getting warmer, causing the rate of conduction to slow down. But if the air is flowing away from your body, it's taking the heat away with it (convection), and it's being replaced by fresh cool air that's ready to absorb more heat.

No need to continue the subject, go look everything up, I guarantee you'll find credible sources who have answered your question many times over.

though at very high speeds, friction starts to play into the equation again and the moving object will heat up

source: stuff entering earth's atmosphere from space, rail guns, etc

Friction is overcome by convection. This only cools you if the air is at a lower temperature than that of your body.

uh huh....

friction has only a neglible effect on objects entering the earths atmosphere. most of the heat is generated because the air is compressed in front of the spacecraft, because it is slamming into the atmosphere at several kilometers per second and the air cant get out of the way fast enough, compressed gasses will heat up very rapidly

If you think about it... Coldness is just space between molecules. The further apart they are the less friction and so less heat. Thats why its colder at higher altitudes.

Still air is a good insulator. That's why double-pane Windows.

When the wind blows the air moves and pulls the heat away with it. It's why you have a fan on your cpu heatsink.

If OP is a chef they should be familiar with convection ovens, which cook faster due to a fan circulating the hot air. in the case of wind the wind is actually not just cooler, but because of its movement it's capable of faster heat transfer (and friction basically isn't happening)

Sup Forums, where anons are only full of information when noone needs it

By chef you mean you work at McDonald's