Why do the Welsh have mostly anglo surnames?Why don't they have Welsh surnames?

Why do the Welsh have mostly anglo surnames?Why don't they have Welsh surnames?

bump

because we all have the same heritage, and no one actually talks welsh
fun fact: theres a settlement of people in argentina who only talk welsh

Yeah, I've been there and I had Welsh tea, which was great.

Welsh seems like a labor to speak or write in.

>because we all have the same heritage

You're Anglo Saxon?

because they are anglocucks, just like the irish

t. South Welsh Anglo

There's plenty of Celtic Welshmen in Northern and Western Wales who are fluent in the language, and Celtic surnames are more common.

Ydy rhywyn arall yn gallu siarad yr iaith yn fama?

A lot of Welsh surnames got anglicised or just mean son of.

Isn't that what the O' Mc and Mac surnames mean?

>Ydy rhywyn arall yn gallu siarad yr iaith yn fama?
What kind of barbaric gibberish is this?

That's not true. Lots of Welsh people have names that aren't common in England. Jones, for example. Rhys is another one.

O' and Mc/Mac come from the Irish "Ó" and "Mac" which mean "From" and "Son", respectively.

I thought O' means grandson of

Yeah, it can. It's a fairly imprecise word that probably best translates as "descendant". The most common way of saying "grandson" in Modern Irish is "garmhac".

Ahh I was told that once, but wasn't sure.

But most of these are Anglo
What gives?

Partly due to mixing with the english (which is why I have an Anglo surname) and the fact that many people in Wales didnt have surnames until the middle ages and were forced to choose one quickly when having one was made obligatory.

You'd be suprised, the pronunciation of certain sounds is difficult for some people but all in all the grammar isn't any more complicated than English (though completely different).

WALES STRONK

I'm one of the few people I know with a proper Welsh sounding surname - It's 'Llywelyn' and comes from some celtic gods or something

this

Reese, Evans, Collins are all Welsh surnames. Not every Welsh surname is completely unfathomable and a lot of "English" surnames come from Wales.

Partly it's because many regions of Wales (such as Glamorgan and parts of Powys) were under the control of English marcher lords, meaning they were more or less fully anglicised and most of the former marcher regions haven't spoken Welsh for a long, long time

Secondly, in South Wales there was alot of immigration from all over Britain and Ireland to the booming industries during the industrial revolution (also a fair few of Italians, see: Joe Calzaghe and...me).

Thirdly, the pre-Kingdom of England Welsh naming system was patrynomic, so they would take their Father's name instead of a surname. When the system changed, people just converted their father's name to a surname, just looking at that list for example Aled Davies would be Aled ap Dafydd. The names themselves (like Dafydd) aren't of indigenous Welsh origin because it was after the Protestant Reformation so most people used biblical names.

Good explanation, man. Thanks.

Are there prepositional pronouns in Welsh?

Those are the part of Irish that foreigners can't seem to get their head around, no matter how much I explain it. It seems simple enough to me, but maybe I'm just used to it.

Top notch explanation, lad.

I don't know how to describe this well but basically you'd use 'e' (pronounced 'eh') to mean 'he' if whoever is being referred to is the agent and 'fe' if they aren't.

Is that what you mean?

I'm Welsh and have a surname that originates from Staffordshire, great great grandfather came from there, don't know why it's so common in other Welsh people though, perhaps it's the just Anglicisation of our surnames or a lot of English people who moved here generations ago.

Does anyone else speak the language here?
It's Welsh, an absolute mess

Make a /celt/ thread here tomorrow or saturday night or a welsh thread on Sup Forums if you want to speak welsh on Sup Forums.