So I read a shit ton of books, one after another. But I haven't read a novel in YEARS

So I read a shit ton of books, one after another. But I haven't read a novel in YEARS.

I want a book that's an easy read and yet still epic and gripping. These are books that i've heard a good deal about, would any of these fit what i'm looking for? (Not a hard read, gripping and thrilling story)

Enders game is very consumable pre teen fiction. Steven King will always have be an easy read yet entertaining. Blood meridian is cormac McCarthy who's very far from what I would describe as "an easy read" but that specific novel is about a bloodthirsty band of outlaws hired to find, kill, and scalp Indians. And like all McCarthy books it contains symbolism and figurative language about the inherent evil in mankind (like all McCarthy books, i.e. The road/child of God)

Warlock by Oakly Hall was really good. I just finished it. It's a post modern take on the Wild West, definitely worth reading. A lot of short chapters too, so if length intimidates you it's broken up into small bite sized bits

The mistborn trilogy. They are amazing.

You should read 11/22/63 by Stephan king if you haven't, it's one of my personal favorites, incredible book.

oryx and crake all the way.

dune is good, but very dense. be prepared for it.

A really good book from those in the picture you posted would be The Stand by Stephen King, really good, thrilling story and arguably one of kings best novels

Best novel I ever read: Perfume
unique genre and storytelling
nothing to do with the shitty movie

Hope you don't mind me hijacking, but I need a recommendation too.
I've never read any warhammer 40k, where the hell should I start?

Gotta concur on this one. Maybe also Scott Lynch's books.

Just read In the Time of the Butterflies. Nice easy read and good story.

i loved that one with some minor complaints - but the very best thing about it, imo, was the sense of nostalgia i had for an era i never experienced. It was a good sci fi story anyhow but I felt pretty immersed in late 50s/early 60s america and that was pretty neat.
Obviously just one user's opinion, i'm not a critic or anything.

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

all great ones

Start reading college text books.

Yea man awesome point, defiantly experienced a nostalgic feel, one of the best things about it now that I think about it.

just got a Kindle, anyone can recommend any non-fantasy novels I can download? no King either please

I've never read these and am not op, but thanks for the suggestion - i'll pick them up and mayeb check out Scott Lynch as well.
Also to be a bitch since you guys are suggesting what sound like cool stories: i'd love to find a novel, preferably harder sci-fi, set on a starship. I'll read whatever you fags say tho, love new books.

those are all good choices.especially Dune and The Stand. one of my fav books is A Planet Called Treason by orson scott car, Enders Game is pretty badass though.

The Road

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. But be prepared. It's about a 15,000 page commitment but very satisfying and great read.

awesome book user

house of sand and fog, can't remember the author

The dark tower series
Lonesome Dove

I would also like to know this

Dune is my favorite book ever. It's very heady but in my opinion not a hard read at all. The story will grip the hell out of you and also give you plenty to think about along the way and after you're finished. A+ 10/10 must-read if you think it might even remotely be up your alley.

The Horus Heresy books are good

Also, the Foundation series by Asimov and the Uplift series by Brin are my favorite sci-fi series by far.

Mortal Engines may be a teen fiction, but it is a surprisingly good series, same with Leviathan

That'd be interesting.

I finally read Stranger In A Strange Land thinking it was going to be some Sci-Fi adventure epic. It was a fucking idiot with a personality cult and a harem, and it was so over the top unrealistic in its 1969s misogyny it damn near turned me into an SJW. That author put all his sexual frustrations and control issues and resentment of women on like every fucking page til it was basically the main character if the story. And there was no sci fi. Or adventure. Just more and more dumb people.

In the Heart of the Sea even if youve already seen the movie. The Tiger. half russian history, half bloodthirsty pissed off tiger who hates people. also is a true story.

Agreed, great book and the Hulu series is actually doing it justice.

My personal favorite King is 'Salems Lot. It is unbelievably creepy, but not for the obvious reasons. The fact that evil is able to consume a town speaks to the darkness of the town and its people, and he does a great job with it.

Blood Meridian is a masterpiece.

My dad keeps suggesting these, and I got soured on them by seeing names from the series from faggots in mmo games. I'll try it again, never gave the first book a real chance.

awesome, thanks!

how on earth is that even possible?

You should definitely check out Blood Meridian, and maybe even The Road too. The Mistborn trilogy is also decent, and a fairly fast read.

Personal favorite that I havent read in a while is Cole Protocol by Tobias Buckel. Also, Ghosts of Onyx by Karen Traviss.

Lightbringer series and the other one by Brent weeks. I definitely classify these as easy reads but they're still very fun.
Also for some good old fashioned sci fi do yourself a favor and read John Varley's Gaia trilogy. It's a hoot.

Stephen King's "Cell" is a medium sized novel and very easy to read.
Has a good story with likeable characters.

A movie is actually coming out this year based on the book.

Way of kings...my god I love the stormlight archives

gotta read the dark tower series if you're gonna read stephen king. shit is so god damn bizarre, but easy to consume.

I second this. It's absolutely my favorite fantasy series.

Read the first 2 Stormlight books, don't know if the 3rd came out. I like them, pretty good. Especially the first book, you get really interesting in the main character and his struggle through slavery. The problem is the second book where the super powers go a little too overboard and the main character basically becomes Goku. It loses some of it's charm. Also just fyi, the author plans to make this a 10 novel series and each book is pretty long for novels, so if you aren't interested in reading that much be warned.

The Stand is a good safe choice, it's Kings best novel. It will hold your interest and is a nice long read. gets pretty dark in some parts and nice twist and turns.

I recommend Prince of Thorns which is the first book of a trilogy thats easy to read and the main character is very intriguing. It reads like dark (very dark) twisted old english storybook about a Machiavellian boy who leads a mercenary group and wants to become king. It's my favorite book of the medieval fantasy genre like ASOIF, Black Company, and Stormlight Archives.

The first book takes a little time to get going, I will say that. But once you get into it, it moves pretty well. I've never read anything where I cared so much or got so frustrated with characters.

And the series wraps up in a VERY satisfying manner, which is really great considering all the time you spend reading it.

The Stand is massive as fuck.

Not recommended if you have a deadline/busy schedule.

The Alienist
Devil in the White City

The only book in OP's pic that isn't total shit is Dune.

Yeahhh thats Heinlein.

The Destroyermen series is amazing, check it out.

World war 2 US Pacific ship is transported to another reality, landing in the middle of a war between lemur people and raptor people

Ringworld

Has a great sequel too.

I read through either 7 or 8 when I was in high school (I'm 35 now) and they really were some of the best fantasy I've ever read. BUT Jordan really could have shortened just a bit. Hell, if he had, he probably could have finished before he died. I only stopped reading because I got current for the time and it took him so long to release the next massive volume that I forgot a lot of what was going on. I wasn't going back to RE-read that much.

I actually agree with this assessment.

Gaunts Ghosts is solid, though mainly about the Imperial Guard. Still great though.

Theres also a few books about a Space Marine chapter called "The Soul Drinkers" that I enjoyed. I don't remember authors name for either, sorry.

The early Dragonrider of Pern books are really cool. They usually tell a self contained story using the same settings. They get a little tired and weird later on.

do yourself a favor and read kingkiller chronicles.

i read 4 out of your 6 books, i loved every single one and dune might be my favorite novel of all time.

but kingkiller ist just so natural. the language is probably the most beautiful i've ever seen, and even though the pacing is sometimes a bit off, it's by far my favorite fantasy series.

honestly, i've read both books in about 2 weeks, it's just that fucking good.

I haven't read that but i do hate it when authors inject a bit too much of their personal politics or bias into their stories. I know it's going to happen (and often a good thing in small amounts) but it tends to turn me off, even if I might agree with them.
Not totally related since it's LOLcomicbooks, but Mark Millar (wrote original "ultimates", basis for much of the movies now, at least the foundation) - he is very left wing and anti-imperialism, which is fine, but he loves to jack off about it every other page.

I was so worried that the ending would be a HUGE letdown and that they'd screw it up a la Harry Potter, but it wasn't at all a let down. I put down the last book and felt very content.

Jesus.

Don't be a faggot, OP.
Read this shit right here.

What if you wrote a book?

i enjoyed enders game. despite the audience.
the commonwealth series by peter f. hamilton is a decent read if you are into sci fi stuff.
same goes for the void trilogy, by the same author.
currently going through some neal asher novels.

imo. if you are going to read a book, do it on an ereader. saves you turning pages. and its lighter than an actual book.

Way of Kings is crazy good, maybe one of my favorite books ever, but quite long. Mistborn starts slow, but is good also.

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss are excellent, and not especially long or hard to get in to. Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are the two out presently. Give them a shot.

Read the Expanse series. SciFi, good writing, they made it into a show too. Highly recommended

Acts of Cane series. Best fucking book series you've never heard of.

Read the first 5 and then prepare to give up remembering the bazillion characters and hate Robert Jordan for being a cunt.

some people recommend just reading the first 3 books and then stop, what do you think about that?

Heinlein went full retard for sure, but I still love his early stuff.

You want balls to the wall crazy? Number of the Beast.

i found it to be too draggy.

of the limited 40k books ive read, emperors gift is by far most superior.
gaunts ghosts gets a bit too involved on an individual level, and seems less space opera-ish.

The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley is very good. There are like 9 or 10 of the books following 1 continuity. About a man who can talk to the dead, and not-lame vampires (books were out well before the current trend)

Also by Lumley the Titus Crowe series, it is a cthulu-universe series. They get VERY weird tho.

Loved WoT, but there where some parts that tried my patience. I can only handle so much chronicling of Andoran royalty... but the payoff in the finale was well worth it.

So quick question guys, which book by King is better in your guys opinion IT or The Dead Zone ?

Joe Abercrombie books are pretty good.
Brenk Weeks Night Angel was a good read.
Orcs by Stan Nicholls is great.
and of course A Song of Fire and Ice by GRR Martin

Oh and also had to add, his explanation of magic was the best ever. Channeling was something I could kind of tangibly picture myself doing, and the process behind doing it, rather than "poof here's a fireball!"

That was neat.

dude i asked the same question about 6 months ago in a similar thread, i ended up just googling warhammer books and started at the top. let me tell you im so happy i did, im like 30 books deep into the horus heresy stuff and have only skipped a few books, i definitely suggest you read these books.

average/10

the prequel to 3001 was better.

Actually listening to the newest Mistborn right now.

Red rising trilogy or name of the wind... I think it is the king killer chronicle name of the wind is an amazing book must read

read "on a pale horse" you will not be dissapointed

The Stand is one of the most based books ever written

Yes. Best imaged complete universe.

If you want something very light but lengthy the Redwall series is fantastic. It is written at a grade school level but has an enormous lore and continuity (and the author did not pull punches on the battles)

I did make the commitment to go back and re-read at book 11 and then read 12-13 without doing that, but read 14, the final book after going back and reading all of them. Took me about 3 months, reading predominantly at night.

The most aggravating is book 9, Winter's Heart because there is a cliff hanger with my favorite character in book 8 that doesn't get picked up til book 10. At the time I was waiting for the next book to come out so when I read book 9 and nothing came of it, I was pissed.

meine neegrow. Loved the series when I was a kid. Came for the cover art, stayed for the world building, and Lumley's excessive use of the apostrophe.

IT . Dark Tower is probably still my favorite, because I'm a continuity whore. The one book of his I find myself coming back to a lot is Needful Things, it doesn't suffer as much bloat as some of his works and keeps the plot interesting and is filthy as fuck. Great book.

>dat gif

Loved this when I was younger, have always meant to go back and read it.

Met Jacques when he came to our grade school and did a reading of Redwall. Have the original trilogy signed by him.

Nice. Michael Kramer may very well be the best audiobook narrator of all time.

oh man I fucking love these books, I'm not really into fantasy outside of having read some mainstreams like tolkien shit but these were my JAM growing up - sanderson turns the characters into goofy caricatures of themselves by the time he takes over, and he can't write action/combat scenes with the sparse gravity that jordan managed, but I guess I was glad it had a conclusion of any kind...

in b4 nynaeve pulls her braid, saldaean dresses, and details on the gilding of a tairen arch on a bridge some side character passes under once

best goddamn magic/force/supernatural system in any franchise I've ever encountered except for maybe something like railgun or mahouka where it's all willpower and physics, I always have and always will want a video game that conveys weaving effectively and turns into something potentially complex but intuitively playable

your descending colon extends all the way up to approximately where the bottom of your ribcage is.

Yeah, I agree.. Read the Kingkiller chronicles, only hitch is that it's a trilogy and the last book won't be out until next year... but OMG it's reallllly good.

A couple good reads are the Sci-Fi series put out by Joshua Dalzell and another by Ryk Brown.

night angel has the most cringe inducing end of a series i've ever read.

i was looking for another
>pic related
but ended up being so annoyed afterwards that i hated myself for commiting time reading it.

and the most frustrating part is that the books started getting really good after the second half of the second book.

insomnia is a great read, it fits into the dark tower/crimson king arc too.
why no movie of this? it would be fucking awesome

Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.
The man writes like he's speaking to a child so it's super easy to read, keeps his paragraphs short. I assume you're at least borderline literate, so you should be able to choke it down. He plays with enormous themes (think on the scale of dune) so it's gripping as fuck

He's great. Him and Stefan Rudnicki are personal favorites of mine.

People's inside are a bit more, uh, flexible then it is generally realized. Just need to prevent tearing and its fine.

King really foresaw cellphones becoming an all consuming evil. But in this day and age there would only be like 80+ year old people and babies unaffected. Probably going to be a boring movie.

Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion. Might be my favorite science fiction out there. Kind of light sci-fi but it takes you through about six sub-genres in the first book which all lead towards an astounding finish in the second. Manages to build a very large universe that feels fleshed out in only two books.

i agree leland gaunt its awesome wish king used in another novel....or maybe he did already and im not aware of it

Nigga go read The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. Historical Fiction about vikings and shit, pretty simplistic English and a goddamn entertaining read.