/lang/ Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

Daily Japanese Thread Chinese Thread Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/Muzikoesperanta/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=vraaUZr2nJM
youtube.com/watch?v=5ZXWAJ5xeqI
youtube.com/watch?v=4dNRtJ9ZEGY
youtube.com/watch?v=exIDp2vlkmw
youtube.com/watch?v=dh9HI4eudR8
youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9gyWUGfnE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is it worth learning Esperanto so I can call others who learned it autists in the language they love so much?

Who knows and why not?

You'd waste your breath less trying to inflate a punctured love doll.

I have a question about polite forms of talking to people. I am Bulgarian but Ive lived in England since a very young age so I never learned how to use the plural/polite version of "you" in my language as English doesn't have it, now it feels funny when I have to do it. I can use it but I can't judge the right situation too well.

Any tips on when to you the plural "you", in any language? I'm gonna need a bit more of an explanation than "when talking to a stranger". When do you switch to normal "you"? What do you use with people the same age?

The joke would be on you for learning it one way or the other

I'm learning French, any user can indicate some good literature for me? I've already read the likes of victor hugo and would love something similar

Victor Hugo is the best, but for sure read Alexander Dumas specifically "The Count of Monte Cristo".

What do you mean?
Not really

Try Sans Famille by Hector Malot, I really liked that one

Formal form is used here when:
-you've just met a stranger to whom you deserve respect (a situation where being too familiar/informal is not advisable)
- you're talking with your boss, your workmate and you've to keep it professional
-someone older than you
- someone you want to keep your distance
Apart from these it's the informal variation
But all these have exceptions if I'm drinking with my boss I'd use the informal variation for example
To people of my age or younger than me I'll also use the informal version unless is one of the situations described above

Use it everywhere.
Done.

Thanks, I'll take a look

>learning French, Mandarin, and Greek

That feel when using the French Assimil books for Mandarin and Greek instead of the English versions.

Has anyone else here studied a language using material written in another foreign language (with the exception of English)? What was your experience with it?

As I've seen it when to use the polite version varies depending on culture, language etc.
I'd suggest you ask it directly to the people whom you are learning the language of instead of asking for a broader answer.

Sup Forums is unironically the best and cheapest way to learn a language.
+1 for victor Hugo. Les misérable is great and easy to read.

What language (or languages) have you learned here?

That's not good either. Being extremely polite and the situation doesn't demand will make him sound autistic too
To circumvent that he could simply pay attention to which pronoun people are using and to the same or simply ask if they can be informal to one another

It was normal to talk like that here, back then.

>What is english?
When i started visiting 4szą i needed to check at least one word in every post. Now i don't even remember when i had been using google translate.

>Russian + Xoxolish
I have improved my cyrilic reading skills and learn some new words.

>Serbian
I have learnt serbian cyrilic and some balkan swearings

Is anyone here learning or already speak a pidgin language?

"Vi estas aŭtismuloj"

There, now you don't have to learn it.

My experience probably isn't what you're looking for, but I did learn a fair bit of Portuguese grammar from a Portuguese book about grammar/phonology.
Having already learned Spanish and having done some Portuguese on Duolingo, it was fairly easy to decipher the text, I just had to go slowly. I didn't learn a whole lot of actual grammar from it, since I only got through the phonology section and the basics of grammar (the point where it's mutually intelligible with Spanish), but it made for good practice either way.

>job requires me to learn 2 of the national languages
>French or Italian
>already know Portugese
Which one is easier? I just wanna get to A2 at best, as fast as possible.

In my experience (I know Spanish and some Portuguese) Italian is much easier for me to pick up on. Easier phonology, simpler orthography, more recognizable cognates and stuff.

Thanks senpai

>but it made for good practice either way.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for. I can practice my French while learning another language at the same time.

bump

Anyone here follow any blogs or YT channels on language learning?

I want to trick you intro learning it and say yes, but the truth is that they won't care

t. esperanto autism expert

Korean learning thread

I'm currently learning Russia. The grammar is awkward compared to west European languages IMO.

Se oni vere volas kolerigi Esperantistojn, oni devus ellerni Idon.

Aŭ voĉe malami Linukson.

>tfw you usually write well but once when you post a comment in that language, it looks like a third grader wrote it.

Everytime I post something in another language, I have to revise it at least once.

hmmm, what language are you learning user, if you dont mind me asking?

this

Before bed bump.

I finished the Ukrainian tree on Duolingo today, will be taking conversational lessons from my university friend next semester.
In the mean time, I'm considering starting up the Esperanto tree. Can anyone recommend me some good Esperanto music to have in the background?

aŭ uzi na "na"

What are some sounds / phonems that English speakers always have trouble with? I'll start with 3

>the e (French é) that is common in most languages
English speakers always seem to think it's pronounced like "ay", but it's not
>the German "ch" sound
Sounds almost like "h" in "huge"
>the German "r" sound, also common in other languages
It's not rolled like the Russian r, it's kinda hard to explain.

>good Esperanto music

There isn't much.

Go check out Muzaiko to get a sample of different artists doing stuff right now.

There's a bunch of stuff here, mostly covers of old songs from different countries:
youtube.com/user/Muzikoesperanta/videos

I guess I would suggest La Perdita Generacio.

youtube.com/watch?v=vraaUZr2nJM

I also like this guy but he's only got like 3 songs:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ZXWAJ5xeqI

this song is widely popular:

youtube.com/watch?v=4dNRtJ9ZEGY

someone did an adele cover:

youtube.com/watch?v=exIDp2vlkmw

I'm currently focusing on English and French, mostly French.

Over time, I've built myself a harem of language exchange partners from various sites/apps which I talk to on a regular or semi-regular basis.

On sunday from 1pm to 10 pm I'm going to talk 9 people from different countries that all speak my target languages.

Oh yeah and on top of that they are all cuties in my age rage and I might meet some in the future at my place or abroad, whatever comes first.
I've already done it before.

good night user
any rolling sounds near the letter R and soft sounding dipthongues in between letters

I'm learning Catalan because my father is from Barcelona.

Aprenc el català. Ho em és molt fácil. Ara puc parlar une llengua estrangera quan les noies coreanes me demanen.

em demanen*
Fuck

>Barcelona
Have you met rionel messi?

My workplace is full of Indians, need to learn some Hindi phrases just to fuck around.

A few threads ago I remember seeing a Brazilian user who said he'd look into putting some Brazilian Portuguese literature on MediaFire. Anyone know what became of that?

wow that 'ch' reference really helped holy shit

I'm hit and miss with the German r's, words like "Lehrer" always get me

It's a waste of time

i wanted to learn russian but it's too fucking hard

Esperanto. Fortunately you can fuck up a little bit and get away with it, because nobody really speaks it natively, but I'm still OCD about my sentences.

Ho jes, precize neoficialajn vortojn.

>took Italian for 2 years in uni
>can't speak for shit
i should just give up

Working on my native tongue (Persian) and trying to learn French.

Teбe пpocтo нaдo пoпытaтьcя, вcё пpидёт вoвpeмя тoвapищ. Пocмoтpи я тoлькo yчилcя 11 мecяцeв a yзнaвaю бoльшe и бoльшe кaждый дeнь (нo y мeня длиннaя пyть впepeди мeня a я мoжeт быть пишy этo нeпpaвильнo, нo пытaлcя). (Taкжe мнe инoгдa нyжнa пoмoщь oт Google Translate)

Currently learning French on my own since I studied it in middle and high school and am trying to get to a higher level. I'm reading Le Petit Prince right now. What other reading would one recommend at a similar level?
Also keeping up on Latin, since I studied that for four years in high school. Can read Fabulae Graecae easily but am working on De Bello Gallico and other classics.
Just for fun and for muh heritage, I'm also trying my hand at Yiddish. It's surprisingly nisht tsu shver.

So I've just started learning Chinese (Mandarin), like 15 minutes ago.

Should be fun.

Gonna use it with some Chinese qt. who want to fug.

Anyone else learning Chinese? Seems like the most useful of the 3 major Asian languages, even if it is the ugliest sounding.

你好

>nisht tsu shver
Sounds almost exactly like German desu. Do the Jews have to steal everything, even our language?

It has its roots in Middle High German IIRC but has some structures and words from Slavic languages and a sub-system plus loanwords from Hebrew.

I wanna kiss Kim Kardashian.
Fuck her

i want to kiss jap girls
Fuck them

Would you like to change American girls with Japanese girls?

>tfw want to learn japanese but would much rather just speak it instead of reading
The kana is useful as far as pronunciation goes but I'd prefer to just talk instead

suomi

finns are the strongest race

Are these finns?

I don't like Romance languages desu

I'm gonna do it anyways though :^)

Bonŝancon.

Yup we were the ones who sacked rome.

youtube.com/watch?v=dh9HI4eudR8

Dankon
Do you know where I can shitpost in Esperanto (maybe on discord)? I don't want to visit reddit

8_ch.net/esperanto

Remove the _ in the url. Sup Forums won't let me directly link the website.

Ich lerne Deutsch. Meine Linie ist Deutsch und mein nachname ist Goodman aber es war Gutman vor den Kriegen.

I'm coming home I'm coming home. Tell the world that I'm coming home.

muh heritage

Most or your shit is english to others, so if you don't master english it's useless

>caring about 'heritage'
what are you, american?

next you'll be saying we wuz ireland cuz i'm 1/782 irish from my great great great 23rd cousin

I bet you are a pedophile

Pourquoi tu penses ça Jean-Eudes?

La plupart des pédophiles sont des gens apatrides, marxistes, qui vomissent sur leurs ancêtres et veulent un monde sans frontière et pour qui le concept de nation n'existe pas

Genre un truc personnelle ou quoi?

>implying people on Sup Forums don't understand English

Where's it at?

I'm working on my Spanish. Going through Duolingo now, and I'm starting to understand my employees when they chitchat in Spanish in the break room.

Last bump

Ow the irony is killing me after having read this comment

youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9gyWUGfnE