Frenchfag here

Frenchfag here,

How do I into NFL? Shit seems complicated as hell. Lots of rules and breaks.

Also how do I choose a team to support?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent_Duvernay-Tardif
youtube.com/watch?v=b0J0ZtgEd8k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just pick the Patriots

>Germany
>Not picking DA BURRS
Choose Bears

every time the offense gets possession of the ball they have to gain ten yards if they want to continue attempting to score. if they fail to gain ten yards after four attempts the ball switches to the other team. but that only happens in must-score moments because you can kick the ball to the other team's offense instead of risking a turnover.

Become a Bengals fan

lots of room after all the shitters jumped off their bandwagon after last season

Play a madden game
You will understand quickly the rules
Watch some superbowl and try finding old videos from georges eddy cimmentating in french.

As for the teams, either bandwagon the pats, the team with the coolest logo or pick the browns and suffer.
I picked the chiefs because Joe montana was playing in it when I first watched it.

here you go OP, this image was made just for cases like this

Watch college football instead. It's much better.

Support a plucky underdog like Alabama

>Play a madden game
this

season doesn't start until september

As everyone else ITT said, play Madden. You could even use it to pick which one of the 32 teams fits you most.

Become a Bills fan, we're the official team of /fa/

Pls become a jest fan. A French flag will bring life into our dead game threads

>the I formation is the example

go to bed grandpa

>Sup Forums the team = bears
>bandwagon = patriots/broncos
>meme teams = Seahawks/Panthers
>depression = Browns
>Ridicule = Eagles
>Boypussy = Packers
>Autism = Giants
>atrocious fans = 49ers/Cowboys
>team sucks so get drunk instead = All others

I didn't make it, don't be dense. someone just designed it to be super simple in order to get the basic points across. you don't see a nickel corner in there either.

There is only one way to go.

>how do I choose a team to support?
Dad pls.

2bqh this is the team that makes the most sense on the surface for French NFL fans.

Thanks for your answers sp. I will root for the packers .

>yet another out-of-market packers fan
you'll fit right in

wow, bold move Cotton.

Fuck you

>French
>gay

Pick two

i-i-i-it's a good team lads right ?

Outside of 2010 they never live up to really high expectations

Also their QB is a homebabby fraud who can't beat good teams on the road

>their QB is a homebabby fraud who can't beat good teams on the road
he's also a closeted gay

Do you have a picture like this with brief descriptions of each position? I'm trying to get into Footballl before the season starts

they consistently make (and lose in) the playoffs, so yes they are a GOOD team.

I don't have one on hand no, I don't think I've ever found one. I haven't seen that much demand for guides making it simple to get the basics of the sport down, because wikipedia exists for learning the very basics and madden exists for almost everything else.

I've been tempted to do a series of short youtube videos before that explains all sorts of different aspects of football, from gameplay to league operations to the draft to roster guidelines, but it seems like a lot of work for a small niche to fill.

oh hey there's one. could be done much better but saved anyways.

While there have only been 5 Frenchmen to play in the NFL and no current ones, there IS a starting Offensive Lineman who comes from French Canada.

He is Laurent Divernay-Tardiff, or LDT as he is called among fans of the Kansas City Chiefs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent_Duvernay-Tardif

So you should follow the Chiefs. They are also an above-average team.

Plus the Chiefs almost always play their home games at Noon KC time, which is 7pm Sunday night for you in France.

Jeez, this really needs to be updated.

>telling a frenchmen he should bandwagon ANYTHING that quebecois do.
instant mistake

Thank you guys, excellent guides!

>Plus the Chiefs almost always play their home games at Noon KC time, which is 7pm Sunday night for you in France.
All of the games are at the same time for every team, idiot. What timezone the team is in doesn't matter.

also if you are new to the NFL and want to watch a 3 hour game in 30 minutes just google "Condensed NFL" those are the games with all the breaks removed with only the game action, no replays no downtime.

raiders or jaguars if you want a team that is under the radar and will be a super bowl contender in the next 5 years

This t b h

Literally the only NFL city with substantial French influence

>All of the games are at the same time for every team, idiot.

what are you talking about, there are noon games and 3pm games every sunday. So teams do not play the same time every week at all.

The chiefs have historically played their homes games at noon as the lot opens at 9am for Tailgating.

Frenchman OP I would also pick a team with a good fan atmosphere and fan culture that likes to 'tailgate' just in case you ever come to America and watch a game.

Anyone have good recommendations for films that help show what football is like to yuros? Theatric ones or documentaries, doesn't matter as long as they're ones that would actually get them interested.

>Also how do I choose a team to support?
Support the bears so you can bearpost

Or the Iggles so we can be igglebros

The "A Football Life" and "America's Game" series.

If you have a gaming console try and get madden. It helped me understand defenses better.

ESTO

escoge los jefes

>There's no benefit to merging them
he's right though, there are only 3 timeslots every sunday: the 1 pm ET game, the 4 (or 4:30) pm ET game, and the Sunday Night Football game. the first two work out to 12 and 3 for you, but every team gets a share of both, with most of them being the earlier ones because the usual balance is 9 games early, 4 games late, and 3 primetime games on each of Sunday/Monday/Thursday Night.

so whether or not you get a noon game or a 3pm game depends on how the scheduling happens to fit for that week, not because of where you're located.

giants taking it this year. mark my words

Welcome brother

>Not New Orleans
You'd be a reverse >muh heritage fag and it would be adorable

Base it off sister cities.

Frenchies should support New Orleans 2bh. Good team, large French population, based town, etc.

Literally die you fucking frog.

Why does every Euro pick this faggot team?

>tfw Steelers fan

DA BEARS

Fourth down - end zone - no - ten yards - yes - start over ? Am i reading this wrong?

An easy way to explain NFL to foreigners is as follows.

MANIFEST DESTINY

Think of an NFL field like America. We settled in the East coast, but wait. There is TERRITORY before us!

Conquer it.

Fucking savages stand in our way. Fuxk em, they're dumb. Check out these plans I drew up to trick them. We'll all move this way, then take all their furs the other direction

Brilliant.

>passes furs over the savages and runs.t to Oregon with them
>fireworks

Fuck yeah, murica.

>puckers

It's a dying sport, don't even bother.

Nope

So a team can have a near 40 downs before crossing the pitch, as long as it always makes its fourth

a team can drive all the way from one end zone to the other if they keep getting first downs, but if they fail to convert on any four consecutive downs then they don't get a touchdown.

I thought the Dutch could speak English.

If you are on 4th down and you can get the ball past the 10 yard marker it goes back to 1st down. Repeat until touch down, turnover, or field goal

You're in for a ride.

>all of this talk about football vidya

Should I go play some 2K2?

Theoretically you could have a ~40 play drive, but it almost never happens in practice for a number of reasons.

Gonna make a better one of these later if I get a chance, will post in /nfl/.

bretty gud.

>picking Ohio anything

american football is a gladiator sport for slave fetishists. stick to soccer or better yet, futsal.

>packshits

More than 10 downs is considered a long, grinding drive. It's usually a couple big passes, a couple of flats or quick outs, and a couple of runs.

Pick the Rams. You'll get to learn all about them on HBO's Hard Knocks in August, they're moving to LA, and they're an exciting young team.

But nothing will bring life to your dead franchise, unless perhaps bill gives it back.

t. Paul revere

Literally underneath Aaron Rodgers

Or maybe on top. Idk. Either way, Erin will be involved in said ride.

>Another bandwagon Puckers fan

Are we back on the 80s?

Join the Panthers! They have the best color scheme of any team; plus they're my home team, and North and South Carolina are two of the only three or four states where French is the second-most spoken language.

Friday Night Lights. Because more than any other football movie it shows the cultural impact of football on the typical American man and woman. Also the scenes of actually playing football are universally recognized as being gorgeously filmed.

butthurt faggot detected lmao at ur lyfe

The real answer is to just watch some games this coming season. Don't worry about not know all that is going on. Just chill and listen. Have your phone on you so when they some some stupid shit like "nickel defense" you can understand what they meant.

You'll piece it together pretty fast. People like to complain about the breaks but realize that every play is called by coordinators on headsets. Those pauses are the two teams plotting against each other. Use those moments to google shit.

Pick a team based on mascot or a particular player whos style you like.

zeeeeeeke

At least you didn't pick the Pats or Cowboys so you're right in my book

For yuros who've fallen for the >11 minutes of gameplay meme, try watching this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=b0J0ZtgEd8k
Yeah it's a commercial, but the entire thing shows what takes place between the end of one snap and the start of the next one. Just because they're not running around yet doesn't mean important shit isn't going on.

could be worse, you could be an aints fan

GOOD for you. It's the only team owned by its fans.

This is pretty good if you play any vidya, it's how I got into soccer/football as an American, playing Fifa all the time.

>Rooting for the Pacucks
real original pierre

That's exactly what i said.

It just sounds stupid as hell so had to double check.

Don't waste your time, Patrice. The NFL is in decline and will be dead in 15 years.

Tip for enjoying NFL more: watch a delayed version of the games with the breaks between plays removed. (These are sometimes called "condensed" games on torrent sites, and are widely available.)

Watching a game in real time is a lot like watching weightlifting: a whole lot of preparation for short moments of action.

(This isn't as different from divegrass as some might think, it's just that in divegrass instead of a formal stoppage of play while a side plans its next attack the team kicks the ball around.)

Watching a football game this way - all of the plays, none of the delays - is the single best way I can recommend to learn to enjoy the play of the game.

I say this because watching an NFL broadcast in realtime is beyond tedious. And if the broadcast of the game (not the nature of the game itself, the nature of broadcasting it) makes the game nauseatingly boring to watch then there's no way or even reason for you to learn to enjoy it - unless you're a masochist, in which case I recommend you bandwagon the Browns.

So go grab some torrents of condensed versions of good games and I think you'll get both a better appreciation of the game itself and also of the stylistic difference between teams. (If you want to experience what watching it in realtime would be like, just pause in between every play for 1-2 minutes and tell yourself you need to buy a shitty new car or watered down beer.)

Lots of luck and have fun, frogbro!

Packfag here from Madison (I'm just in Japan right now). Why did you pick the Packers?

i got into it through family connections to colorado

we won da 'owl

FUCKING RARE

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING HERE??

That's a great commercial.

Even though I suggested watching condensed games was a good way to get started appreciating football, I want to make clear that there is all sorts of important action that happens all the time - the problem is television broadcast never shows it.

So watching games with the breaks removed is a compromise - since the NFL and networks have already butchered the game by removing the inter-play action, at least the tedious filler with which all the subtlety is replaced can be skipped too.

Alternate answer for "how do I into NFL?" Jacques: buy tickets to every Packers home game and go sit in the stands at Lambeau.