How is suicide a selfish act?

How is suicide a selfish act?

If you're asking because you feel like the act of suicide being selfish means it's morally wrong then you need to know it's not wrong, but it is about the most selfish thing you can do.

But how is suicide selfish? Is a person obligated to continue living for their family, for society, for who and why?

I think suicide is selfish ONLY if when have people depending on you and you're abandoning them by killing yourself

i.e. a mother that kills herself and leaves a child behind

you don't seem to grasp the concept of duty very well. either that or you're downright ignoring it, because it stands in the way of you having your way

A duty to who or to do what?

because you dont give a shit about the people who actually care about you and how they feel like when youre gone

Pretty damn selfish to expect someone to continue living just for you when they are going through hell, isnt it?

Because you're taking the joy of your existence away from people who appreciate you.

It may be just some cashier that sees you and smiles, even, and you'll be making their life worse.

a duty to not actually abandon those who depend on you, you dimwit

In being born and living, is a person obligated to continue living for everybody else who may or may not care about them?

I presume you mean this in the sense of children or dependents?

what do you mean by "hell"? are you terminally ill or something? cause other than that, you're just bitching, not really going through hell

Under the right circumstances it is not selfish. Stupid kids killing themselves is selfish, but I watched my father bare through 16 years of agonizing pain just to see me grow up. He earned his peace.

It's like ripping out the heart of people who love you and repeatedly dipping it in battery acid for eternity.

It's a hurt that never goes away.

Yep, that's what I meant

like everything else.
it's literally impossible to do anything not-selfish.

I don't see how that's selfish. You aren't sparing your life for anything else, you're ending it. Can't you fucking understand the difference?

like charity and giving away stuff for no reason, right?

edgy 12 yr old detected

There's plenty of ways to go through hell. The numbness of depression is its own special kind of hell, as an example.

I've lost people too and I know how it feels, but death is an inevitable thing, they'll likely have to handle it at one point or another.

you must be retarded or something. you're killing yourself because YOU want to do this for YOU, while disregarding the needs of those who depend on you. this is the definition of selfishness

>like charity and giving away stuff for no reason, right?

it gives you the satisfaction and validation about you being so noble and kind.
there is nothing selfless about it.
just another way to jerk your ego.

It's selfish and reckless if you do something retarded like jumping under a train.
If you don't want to bother other people do it in a clean way. Like hang yourself with a plastic sheet under you.
If you want to help people, you could take somebody really bad with you.

Selfish
self·ish
ˈselfiSH/
adjective
adjective: selfish

(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

What if you have no children or dependents or a SO, nobody really depends on you?

yeah, depression is pretty bad, I agree. but you're NOT beyond help. Even the most severe cases can recover, so why abandon the fight?

suicide is not a selfish act.
it's the end result of a person not able to cope with pain.
it's only slightly stupid because you should seek help, but those in a very distressed state, have no control over it.
why it's biologically programmed is odd.

Some may think that it wouldn't matter to the world if one were to disappear, but what they're forgetting is that they themselves are a part of the world for someone else

Ahh the person that never went through shit in his life. So he has to tell everyone that had some bad times he is a pussy for being upset about it.

Come back once you are over the age of 25. Maybe by that time you have had to deal with the worst life brings you.

>charity and giving away stuff for no reason
no reason = feeling entitled after and showing other people what a great person you are
while the people receiving the charity will become even more dependent on it and less self-sufficient
way to go, user

I don't know where you're from, but if people there are so cynic about basic acts of kindness and altruism, it must be a shitty place with shitty people.

altruism doesn't exist.

then, in this case, I totally support your decision to an hero.

don't get me wrong, I am not against suicide per se. just make sure you tie up loose ends before you do it

Implying you have had anything to say as to you wanted to be born.

This is my main problem with living. I can't decide to enter it. And am looked down upon for exiting it. Really fucked up if you think about it.

It's a selfish act, because all the survives can be bothered to think of is "how could/dare he do this to me?" rather than "how did he get that far without me bothering to notice?"

this.

Hey, you don't know what other people may be going through. I agree that most people who say they're depressed are mostly pussies who don't know how to handle life, but come on. Some of us out there actually have a pretty shitty life with no better option than to just end it. I would know where my life is headed if I've only made it this far when I try

What do you care if it's selfish, you'll be dead

are you retarded

>implying this is debateable
top kek.
Really, guys? When you're literally feeling emotional and/or physical pain every single day of your life, there is no way in hell you should not end of your life because "oh wait i wouldn't want to upset that one person who likes me" lol fuck that your the one living your life your the one who decides to continue living it or not. But I must admit, things must be pretty fucking shit if e.g your a single parent and you leave your kids behind. Still not wrong though. Selfishness isnt in the picture when everyday is literal hell.

You'd make a good catholic

but what if there are no people that care about you?

My friend and I actually debated over whether someone is justified to commit suicide if they have no one.

We come to the comclusion that killing yourself does not benefit the society positively and that you always have more potential to contribute if you're alive.

It's not really justified for one to commit suicide, especially for someone who lives in the first world.

But it's your life.

>upset that one person who likes me
Nobody likes you. This is more about the train driver who will be traumatized for years, or the cops who have to go examine your rotten corpse at 2 am. Just think before you do it and try to minimize the collateral damage.

I'd make a better hero..........

How is it hell to where you can't deal with it/make it better.
It's selfish because you only expect things to not be a literal hell, but it's probably because you never got off your ass.

No, the fuck. It's only selfish if it's benefitting me in some, but if I'm dead then that isn't possible. You make no sense

> because people care about you

ah the angsty teen that is upset he was shoved in this life without his approval. well, son, I get where you're coming from. the thing is, if you want to kill yourself, go right ahead, I won't stop you from exerciting your autonomy as an individual. but if you're gonna go through with this, and you know it from early on, be a decent person and don't take on lots of responsibilities in life, so that you won't impact the lives of many others when you kill yourself.

>This is more about the train driver who will be traumatized for years, or the cops who have to go examine your rotten corpse at 2 am

Not user you're talking to, but who the fuck cares, that's what they get paid for. Oh, and it's life. People die, they'll get over it.

Unless you are terminally ill, suicide is a selfish act because you are hurting the people who love you greatly. Your suicide may even drive some other people who loved you to committ suicide. If your parents are still alive, you will be forcing them to bury a child, which is something a parent should never have to do.

We come to the comclusion that killing yourself does not benefit the society positively and that you always have more potential to contribute if you're alive.

Nice try. What if you're NEET, have no motivation, no ambition, no significant other, no prospects?

Would not kiling yourself remove yourself as a burden on your family and on the gov't?

And by doing so, would free up resources for said parties to better help others (or themselves)?

"no positive benefit* my ass.

You just don't know what rock bottom is.

look, you wanted to kill yourself. this is your stated goal. you have kill yourself. you have reached your goal.

so yeah, your death benefits you, since you got what you wanted.

"Well, user, I know you'd literally rather die in a fire than experience another day on this earth, but if you don't babysit for me tomorrow, I'll have to wait until the weekend to see captain america. Can't you think of anyone else? God, you're so selfish!"

And i'm sure you don't either because you've got a cellphone/computer or fucking something in your life to vent to.
None of us care what you think, because that part of you that wants to die that wants to just give up because it's easy, it's full of shit.
The part of you that wants to live, the one that makes this post in the first place for people to fucking talk to, still wants to live clearly. It's not that bad for you, you need to understand that there is always someone in a worse position than you, that would kill to be in that position that you have RIGHT NOW.
That's what's selfish as well about it. You need to get back on your feet by getting off your ass OP. Go fucking kill yourself otherwise.

Suicide being selfish act is the biggest bullshit I've ever heard of and here's why.

Everyone perceives life as "gift". Fair enough. But it is a gift you are forced upon therefore you have no say in if you want it or not. In sense you have been forced into this world and everyone's acting like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And in case you want to give the gift back everyone starts to think you're ungrateful little shit for not loving the life like everyone else does.

It's not selfish because other people do not matter when you're making the decision of "to live or not to live" since they are not living your life. Say if you are in agonizing pain you'd want to die, but oh wait, your friends want you to keep living. Now you have to bear the pain while others don't, it's actually more selfish to not let someone commit suicide since you're putting your own desire of them living in front of the person in question's desire to leave.

Although in the end it doesn't even matter anyway. You're dead now, if it's selfish or not doesn't matter since you don't have to deal with the fallout of it anyway.

Just my opinion.

I said "more potential"

If you aren't even willing to try, then there's no hope. Very little people will help you out of the kindness of their heart. If you're not willing to change your own situation, then it will never change for the better.

again, more unwarranted cynicism

because only self is kill should of also kill someone other to make unselfish

That's a little short sighted. You're looking at life like a puddle, when in actuality it's an ocean. There's so much more to it than selfishness.

One thing I figured out over the years is that people don't have to like you to love you. There's someone out there, even if it's only one that cares about you and would mourn your loss. To be truly alone is a rare case.

If you decide to shuffle off this mortal coil you leave behind everyone you've ever known and those that you could. If the prospect of these things doesn't bother you then you have nothing to lose.

Come on, even Shakespear knew that suicide is wrong.
He made the most famous "Whoopsi, fucked that one up" suicide drama known to mankind.

people justify suicide because they say they have now more power left to cope with their problems.
while this can be true, seeking help to find someone with enough power is a way of ditching suicide as the ultimate solution to a problem.

>"you're the one living your life"
yes but you never, really like never ever live your life on your own and totally alone.

your opinion is wrong nigger

Ahhh the "jumping to conclusions"-guy
Can't have enough of these. Learn to have a real discussion.

>unwarranted
read up on the topic instead of seeking validation so desperately.

Because you don't allow others to see your suffering over and over so they can feel better about themselves if you commit suicide, and that's selfish.

By definition I guess, I'm meaning more if a person is obligated to continue living for the sake of everybody else in their life.

Tried, Can't afford help and I wish I were baiting when I say family I have reached out to just tell me to pull up my pants and get over it (depression/life issues)

I'm aware my life could be a lot worse, but do bad things and bad conditions just not happen to first world people?

>implying the cop/EMT/other guy doesn't see this shit regularly

>Pull up them pampers and deal with it

One parent who I've severed ties with for the most part.

>you don't have to deal with the fallout of it anyway.

and here's why it's selfish, in a nutshell.

you basically don't give a flying fuck about the mess you're leaving behind.

I would kill you myself.

>Pathetic

Someone has too find you and clean you up and that's no fun trust me.

never seen such crimson red
>whatchutalkinboutwillis

This has nothing to do with being around to perform favors for people, you stupid motherfucker. Suicide for the most part is a permanent solution to temporary problems. But you go ahead. Throw your hands in the air and scream "I just can't handle my first world life anymore" and call it quits. Meanwhile, half the people on the fucking planet don't even know if they will have enough food to survive to see the sun rise the next day. But you've got such a hard life, on your computer, on Sup Forums, don't you?

I can't get anything out of that. I'm dead. Therefor it isnt selfish
If I wanted to end my life, I must've thought it wasn't important for anything else. Which it shouldn't be if I have nothing to live for. Uh, other people? Other people shouldn't be depending on me for anything and call me selfish. That's just being a hypocrite

you reincarnate but family suffers etc

*takes shots at random on the internet because their opinion differs from others* fuck some random cop or train driver this is your fucking shithole life you're talking about, some person you don't even know coming across your body isn't involved in the situation when your mind is suicidal.

>how is it hell to where you can't deal with it/make it better
Hey there, buddy :) You ever heard of PTSD or severe clinical depression? This can make it near impossible to live a happy life, thus making it not worth it. Understand kiddy? The world aint all sunshine and rainbows :) Point is imbalanced brain chemicals can fuck you up. its science.

Circumstances can really differ in those situations.
Honestly OP doesn't sound like he's in agonizing pain, it's not like he has a disease eating away at him or something.
He just sounds like someone who's a whiny little bitch who can't just deal with his fucking problems like the rest of us.
Who said life was all milk and honey faggot? We all have problems, but we fucking move on for the milk and honey that we can achieve.
If you want to die, you can die the way you want, just understand that HOW you choose to do it, will effect others.
We're not saying if you're old, in great pain (real pain not pain you can learn to cope with like emotional pain) or being in a truly hopeless situation and wanting to die isn't selfish.
But OP, are you really one of those things? Are you really hopeless, if so why?

it makes you a fucking coward, take the hard road and not the easy way out

Think about it this way, it's like your parents have always wanted you to be a doctor, and you fucking hate every second of med school. You start your residency and they start putting you on 36-hour shifts until you're about to lose your mind. Your family and friends are all excited about your career, but when you look ahead all you can see is more suffering.

Is it selfish to quit and go be a bus driver instead? Maybe, I guess, but that doesn't make it wrong.

You can take many things for yourself.
Taking your life is greedy, in the sense that you are removing any potential you have fro

'I don't have any potential!'

Yet, you're willing to take that pointless life, and remove it from the world, because removing it gains the world... one more lifeless body.

>your friends want you to keep living

idiot. this is not how this works and perceiving it that way is just wrong.
through living you connect with people, you share emotions, stories and thoughts.
friends don't want you keep living because they want you to keep living. they want to be connected with you, share emotions, thoughts, write stories and memories.
they want you to be part of their lives because they are part of your life. it's not about keeping you in agonizing pain. and its not a deed that needs to be fulfilled, friendship is a sacrifice. you give parts of your life to someone else, in the best case without expecting a reward.

It isn't selfish. Let people do what they wanna do and worry about your own life. Why is that so hard?

we usually accept that sometimes people have to take care of themselves before other people. If you think that's wrong, then go ahead and sell all your shit and send all the money to orphans in africa.

Yeah but at least you're still dealing with that problem in a much better way than just
"OH I JUST CAN"T TAKE IT"
>Permanent answer to a temporary problem

if only we could remember our kill count after death

my point is, whether it's selfish or not is a bad question. Not all selfish things are bad, not all unselfish things are good.

Cause someone has got to clean your mess when you die.

You're not saying anything new or profound.
Some tumblr tier stuff here.

> may
So, you're going to take that chance; the chance that someone MIGHT not care for you? You may get angry at others for not empathising with you, but you could show some empathy towards them. If someone doesn't show they care, it's intuitive to believe that, but some people simply find showing emotion difficult. They could be deeply phased by suicide.

Plus, the chance of someone caring for you is more likely than 50%, despite being only two outcomes, because it's human nature to cooperate- an evolutionary thing.

that's literally what the med student is doing. He's saying "I JUST CAN'T TAKE MED SCHOOL" and quitting.

It's selfish because you are completely disregarding the feelings of anyone around you. You are centered around your own emotions and neglect to realize the existence of others emotions. Hence the selfishness.

Yeah.. Thanks for proving my argument. If you need a rope to hang your worthless ass from, I'll be happy to mail one to you. I'll even send it overnight
if it means I don't have to read your irrational retorts again.

Oh lord you're pandering my word choice here.

>quit your job
>quit your life

These are not the same thing.

we call these "analogies," friend.

>implying society needs you
you're unimportant.
you're replaceable.
it actually fucking matters nothing.
you faggots are so full of yourselves it's incredible.

its not really, i think you'd be more of an hero for doing it

>deal with something that was entirely avoidable.
So, you want to enlongate the pain by commuting suicide?
Along with your absence, there will be this lingering guilt that surrounds the people that care for you.
Unanswered questions that can never be answered. Was this my fault? Could I have stopped this? Why did they do it?
You really think killing yourself to end your own pain is justifiable, when another's happiness is at the expense? You could really sacrifice someone's content?
To me, that reflects the definition of selfishness very closely.

>irrational
>t-that just proves my point!
good post, you should feel proud

Please continue your mouth diarrhea. It's amusing. Like watching a monkey try to type.