Guys

Guys

How the crap do I get into this?

Basically I'm from super conservative Christian hypocrite parents and was homeschooled. Always wanted to get into stuff like animu or pic related but never had anyone to talk to about it

but now i really want to get into magic. I bought a deck and got some free starter cards but I don't recall exactly what it was. There's a shop about 15 miles away and one 50 miles away.

The 15 miles away one is really crappy and small and the people I've seen there are honestly pretty much 2spooky4me. Like 40-somethings that are skinnier than me or fat girls who love to "hum" the theme song for Attack on Titan as loudly as possible.

50-mile store is way nicer and bigger, has comics, manga, and all sorts of games. Very good place, if it had vidya it'd be a 10/10. But I don't know if I want to commit to that drive.

Also if FNM a good place for my first ever game? Losing my magic virginity on a friday night sounds reasonable tbh

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/tolariancommunity
wizards.com/magic/quiz/quiz.aspx?x=mtg/quiz/guild
store.steampowered.com/app/316010/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/user/tolariancommunity

You know this channel? I guess it is also pretty good for beginners.

Never heard of them but I appreciate the recommendation, I'll check it out. Thanks Sup Forumsro

it's a money dump, stay at home and watch anime.

Why would you want to subject yourself to the people at card shops? If you're past the age of 21 you should not be playing Magic. The only reason I still play to this day is because I've played it since the game was first released. I used to play with Richard Garfield, helped design a few cards, got nigger rich off my old magic collection, etc etc. But I won't go into a card shop because they're fucking disgusting. I used to when I was a gross 13 year old kid. Anyway that is my advice for you

That's probably true lol

But you can't make friends watching anime all day and I'd like some folks to nerd out with. One thing I forgot to mention is that only 15-mile store is in a crappy town where getting pregnant in high school is the norm and college is godlike.

50-mile store there's some guys like me who actually have a career plan for the future

man, I've talked myself into 50-mile store, but that drive is killer.

first off, cause i want to see it.

But also I just hate the feeling of missing out on stuff that I wanted because of crappy parents. I guess that's not really a topic for Sup Forums but it sucks man. I just want to prove to myself that I can do what I want to without any bullshit from "Christians" that cherry pick.

Honestly, I'm 37 and I've played this game since high school. If you found a group of 40 year old guys to play with they will probably be the nicest bunch to teach you and be very accommodating and you'll learn more.

The game is insanely complex. There are a lot of kids that I play with who play standard/modern and we can drop some older card on them that will ruin the whole game for them or use a simple game mechanic to ruin their entire deck. Vintage/Legacy players know about this stuff and will teach you about it.

It's also very expensive to get into this game. It would be good to have older friends who wouldn't mind loaning you cards if you wanted to play in a "tournament" or some proper setting down the road so you don't have to invest in $400 worth of stuff to test out a deck you MIGHT want to try.

Try out the 15 mile shop. You might be surprised.

Also, try playing online. You can always sell your online cards for real cards later. Couple of my buddies did that.

>go to local comic shop
>everybody there is obsessed with animu and cards

there.

that's your new home now.

go out and spread your neckbeard wings.

Keep buying packs till you find this card.

Play against dark decks.
Collect free wins.

Keep a lookout for this one as well. In your case, it might be pretty rare.

>4 mana cost
>2/2

piece of shit.

you'll be overrun by dindus before you can even get that thing out

Thanks a lot for the insight man. I guess I should give the place a shot, I've just been nervous to go in on Friday night lol

Are there any particular sets that I should try to find some boosters for? Or should I just stick with the newest stuff starting out? I'll probably have to go through the deck I already bought and see what kind of stuff it has, especially in the two boosters that I got.

Also if you don't have a large disposable income then you may want to look into something like force of will. A newer and at the moment a more affordable. But if you're dead set on MTG, then don't buy boater boxes, but your singles. The Professor will tell you that (tolarian comminity collage) and it's very good advice. Also buy from TCG if the shop you go to doesn't have what you want and get lightly played cards. They more often then not look great and it will save you a good amount on decks, also standard is a money sink. With sets roaring faster then ever, you'll end up buying a deck only to have to buy another in 6 months time. Get into modern if possible, it's a bit of a buy-in. But you'll more likely then not be able to keep that deck forever (rid splintertwin, pod, and Elderzi).

Sacrifice a chicken at midnight to our lord Satan and he shall grant you epic drafts from boosters.

Just kill yourself instead, we don't need more trash coming to FNM with shitty homebrews.

lol

such troll

wow

Funny story, I actually was all steeled up and ready to make a 50-mile trip to see what Force of Will was all about but I called the store first to see if it was ok for noobs to come.

I was told that the game doesn't have any players at all there and they just have it on the calendar in case people happen to come.

And the 15-mile store doesn't play anything except Magic, MLP, and Dragon Ball Z.

I'll have to head up to the stores and look for singles, problem is that I obviously have no idea what to look for yet. Modern sounds more like my thing though if it's all about the current decks. It'd be easier to get into anyway lol

2/2 4 drop that can tap every turn to destroy ANY black creature... plz ngr...

The Standard format is continually one of the most popular formats in the constructed deck tournament scene. It is the format most commonly found at Friday Night Magic tournaments, played weekly at many hobby shops. Standard's former name was "Type 2". This format generally consists of the most recent three "Block" releases. The release of the first set of a new Block (usually in April and September) triggers a rotation; the new Block becomes Standard legal, and the oldest block rotates out.

The Modern format is a format gaining more popularity, but still remains difficult to enter for players who have not collected cards for some time. Modern format is made up of any card (Not banned) from the release of 8th Edition onward. Card do not rotate out and your deck will remain relatively stable over time (Unless something is banned) You can call your store to find out what the FNM format they play is.

Decide on your play-style/abilities that you enjoy playing. Then find out which colors relate to those. I like black, red, and green. I have made some decks revolving around those colors. Spend some time learning the terms in play and it will get easier to make a good deck.

As a new player, your best bet is probably to look into Standard. The current sets are Dragons of Tarkir//Magic Origins, Battle For Zendikar//Oath of the Gatewatch and Shadows Over Innistrad//Eldritch Moon (Eldritch Moon not released yet)
I suggest taking a look at the preconstructed deck from Battle For Zendikar//Oath of the Gatewatch and Shadows Over Innistrad and seeing which theme you think is the coolest and buy it. It will NOT win FNM, the deck will NOT be good, but it will be better than having zero idea about the game and going to FNM. Once you start to understand the format you'll be able to build your own deck.

If you are starting out flat-out, maybe get a modern box from eBay with, say, 1000-1500 cards... shouldn't cost more than $20-25 or so. That will give you a very good starting point on basic cards to make some decks out of. They should give you some random uncommon and a few rare cards... Maybe even (and hopefully, if they aren't Dicks) a mythic rare or so.

Check this out, it's kind of neat, you can see what "Guild" (Two color combination) your fantasy personality aligns with. The Guilds of Ravnica have proven to be one of the most popular themes in Magic and many if not all players will recognize them if you use them in conversation when discussing the game. Could be helpful if you're asking for help on making your first deck.

Woops, forgot link.
wizards.com/magic/quiz/quiz.aspx?x=mtg/quiz/guild

Well first of you have to be rich without having a job. You are going to need a ton of time and money to git gud. Playing this game on any competitive level is insanely expensive. Having a coke habit is cheaper. Its also time consuming and requires a ton of travel.

On a non competitive level this game is boring as fuck. Casual level play is so fucking stupid.

Woah, tons of responses. It seems I got Modern and Standard mixed up a bit. If Standard is the one that's more about the new decks then I feel like that'd be the better option, since there's no super old/outdated strategies or cards to worry about.

That deck I have is Oath of the Gatewatch. I'll look into the guilds link and check it out. I don't care much about winning right off the bat, but having some clue about what I'm doing would be nice.

Thanks a lot for all the posts guys. I'll keep it all in mind and start somewhere.

Magic's a great game, but the experience of your local game store is what will make or break it for you. That's why I don't even go out to play anymore, I just occasionally play edh with my friends. If you know that the farther shop is better, than commit to the drive and go.

Before burning your money on physical cards (which ARE awesome), I advice you to star here: store.steampowered.com/app/316010/
it's automated, so you'll learn w/o a teacher

it's free and for every win you get in-game coins to buy boosters (or spend $ to get boosters, but I never had to)

Ok, so I did that quiz and got Azorius. So does that make me a faggot?

>artifact
stop objectifying women >_

Play thru skype

check out meetup.com

if theres no store for miles and miles where people meet to play theres definitely some people who get together on their own.

I dont play as much anymore but I enjoyed it when I did -
Theres a few different "versions" or games you can play which have slightly different rules/ also limit which cards you can use in your deck.

Standard is just the most current cards from the last year or so you kinda have to keep buying the newest cards to play

I really liked EDH (commander) - its a longer game to play but you can build your deck out of cards from any time period and is generally the only thing iplay anymore if I play.

fag

Oh heck, I didn't realize that it was on steam. I know of the iphone version but mine can't run it.

I'm gonna check that out.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the help, guys. Gonna get off my compter and this thread will likely be long dead before I get back. But I do appreciate all of the help and I will check out the 50-mile store at the very least.

Sup Forumsros are the best

Speaking as an Azorious as well, no, it just makes you better than everyone else. Right now, control magic is weaker in standard than it has been for a while. Tempo is the kind of strategy that U/W might employ atm

I've been playing MTG since Revised when I was in grade 7. Best advise is mostly what's already been said; find a friendly shop, play for fun. Best decision I ever made was to stop playing standard. EDH with friends is what I play 80% of the time, but I still go to my FLGS for booster drafts and be social.

Cube and Winst draft is also a ton of fun. Buy playsets/halfs of old set commons/uncommons for $10 and have a blast :)

Pic related; my fav block

what is sarcasm

Op, what is your area code? If you're close I'd like to try to help out with acquainting you with the game

kek

you are welcome, fam. enjoy!

i hate that bitch ass card white/blue cockblock decks are the most frustrating thing ever.
>nice dubs tho

>exile those face down
TOP KEK

> check'd