Should Linemen in the NFL have an official weight limit?

Should Linemen in the NFL have an official weight limit?

If such a thing were implemented what should it be?

Would it make the game faster?

/thread

Couldn't really logistically happen, but something has to. These guys keep getting bigger and people keep getting brain damage. No one had CTE back in the days of 180-pound offensive linemen in the 50s.

If I wanted to watch sumo wrestling, I'd watch some sumo wrestling

Well ya, you'd have to implement a limit, and then year by year gradually bring it down to where they'd want it, that way current players have a chance to catch up without having to drop like 100lb

How would lighter lineman make the game faster? These guys play in short bursts of high intensity. They're pretty fast at that. Plus it's not like they'll be in the end zone catching Tds

>Would it make the game faster?

Remove the QB position
Remove all passing from the game

Why not have different weight classes that you could compete at? That way even skinny short guys can play football.

They could just go play in the women's league, but there is this guy, dunno if there's anyone shorter atm

Darren Lee Sproles is an American football running back for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League. Wikipedia
Born: June 20, 1983 (age 32), Waterloo, IA
Height: 5′ 6″

right, google is a thing

Also wait, is it against the rules to throw a team mate? because they could totally just get a midget onboard and toss that fucker over the line to score

Trindon Holliday 5' 5" 169
Jim Breech 5' 6" 175
Darren Sproles 5' 6" 190
Mark McMillian 5' 7" 154

>Also wait, is it against the rules to throw a team mate?

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is banned. I think recently they added a rule where you couldn't use another teammate as leverage for your jump.

its not only linemen that are getting bigger, football players in general are, look at old games players wherent nowhere near as ripped as they are today.

i dont see how it would make the game faster, im preetty sure even if linemen are getting bigger they are also faster than previous generation, they dont run the ball, the game has become more passing focused since at least the 80s, the days of the running backs as the main guys is long over and even so its not like they are not rush blocking.

About CTE, i believe backs and recievers are at a greater risk, linemen rarely get the high impact, concussion producing hits

Also there's something to be said of some balance, if the limit were like 250lb, most people would probably sit at the limit and teams would generally be more equal at the line

>Yes, I'm pretty sure this is banned. I think recently they added a rule where you couldn't use another teammate as leverage for your jump.

They did, about 3 or so seasons back.

im preetty sure all teams have monster linemen, or at least i havent noticed any team having a nooiriously bigger line,the pisstions do require much more skill than people give it credit, being big isnt enough, its the technique what makes a great line, not sheer size, i played both OLine and Dline all my football playing life, and it wasnt always the big guys the harder to block/evade

250 lb linebackers never used to be able to bench 400 lbs and run 4.9 second 40 yard dashes. I believe this is what causes concussions.

It's not the massive hits that cause the head trauma per se. It's the ones most viewers don't notice. If a guy gets hit in the head 30-40 times (average blocks + tackles) he doesn't act different because of gametime adrenaline. But I guarantee he feels it the next day. That punishment adds up over a season.

>About CTE, i believe backs and recievers are at a greater risk, linemen rarely get the high impact, concussion producing hits
This is debatable though because linesman would lead in with their shoulders at times.

Surprisingly, there is a significant number of QBs on the known CTE list, but a lot of them were playing back in the 70s-80s already too.

>Reduce timeouts
>Reduce commercials
>Eliminate 2 minute warning
>35 second play clock

And guarantee you'd see these guys slim down out of necessity. As it stands there's so little cardiovascular work that there is no reason to bulk to 350lbs. Not to mention make the game a lot more watchable

well yeah, and there aint no feeeling as leading a rush blocking and knock the fuck out of a linebacker, but still is less common than defensive player on RB/recievers colliding, didnt knew that aout QBs but yeah back in those days there where less rules in place to protect them

its a turn based strategy sport, there really is no need for it to be faster paced even with the "hurr durr 11 minutes of game" meme euros like to throw around

The down system is what makes it turn based you dumb fuck

also

> little cardiovascular work

anyone who has actually played the sport knows thats bullshit, even with the down time it requires lots of stamina to be able to endure the constant sprinting and expolosiveness

And without it wouldnt be Football, faggot

Limit it at 135lb for a laugh.

I have played the sport and this is not true. Comparatively speaking, gridiron is way lighter on the a aerobic side than a lot of team based ball sports. You're stupid Miguel.