As an American, I admire that European sports fans sing at sporting events and take pride in creating a vibrant...

As an American, I admire that European sports fans sing at sporting events and take pride in creating a vibrant, unique and influential atmosphere. In contrast, I watched the NBA finals last night and had to turn the sound off due to the grating and repetitive DEE-FENSE cheers and all the pop music and noise blared over the PA. It's a soulless and pathetic product in my opinion.

I don't think they do much singing in Canada and Australia as well. Where did the European tradition of singing come from and how far back is it rooted? Which countries are considered to have the best atmospheres?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=57RGGDTHbFA
youtube.com/watch?v=X9vTv_eG9Hc
youtube.com/watch?v=flIbn65IvXE
youtube.com/watch?v=63ar03dMkI8
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FIIIIIIIIGHT

AND WIIIINN

>Where did the European tradition of singing come from and how far back is it rooted?
Dunno, probably England or Italy,

>Which countries are considered to have the best atmospheres?
Right now? I'd say Germany.
Every game is sold out, great ambient and good fans, lots of cool ideas.
Too bad their league right now is >buyernwinslol
Turkish League also has insane stadium atmosphere.

Best atmospheres? Probably Turkey, Poland, Germany. Italy has great atmosphere in big games but the stadiums are often half empty.

Active support, tifos and Ultras culture all originated in Italy though.

i would love to seriously follow NBA games, but i cant, every time i try i get exhausted.

>food commercials every 40 seconds
>look at this irrelevant shit someone posted on twitter/social media !
>DE-FENSE chants
>30 seconds of uninterrupted gameplay !
>game stops, instead of keeping the camera on the players ... HERE MORE FOOD AND PICKUP COMMERCIALS !
>more blabbering about what people post on social media !

its like they are targeting someone with the attention span of a goldfish
i just want to watch a fucking basketball game uninterrupted for 5 mins ffs

is this something that depends on the channel or is it like this everywhere ?

>As an American

stopped reading there

Just watch highlights. Only fun part is watching them sweet 3s anyway

>watching GS chuck 45 threes is exciting

It comes from the teams being an integral part of the community. A sports team changing cities like they do in America is unthinkable in Europe. It is the city which makes the team.

kys cuck

That doesn't explain the singing though. Americans have clubs that are over 100 years old and have remained in their communities.

youtube.com/watch?v=57RGGDTHbFA

Is this a warzone or a game of sport?

Third world tier.

Don't tell me you wouldn't experience the biggest adrenaline rush going through that tunnel famalam

youtube.com/watch?v=X9vTv_eG9Hc

>Where did the European tradition of singing come from and how far back is it rooted?
You do realise football is over a century old right? In fact I think it's about 150 years old. So for decades, working class folk have been going to football games, whooping and hollering. I'm sure crowd chants have existed as long as football has existed.

>Which countries are considered to have the best atmospheres?
On the continent they probably do the best tifos (flags and other visual displays performed by the crowd), e.g. Germany and Italy are probably the best. That's not such a thing here in the UK, although Crystal Palace which you posted is an exception, and also Liverpool fans often have a lot of red scarfs, red flags, and red flares to make things look pretty great

But English football obviously still creates a great (and I would obviously say better) atmosphere, we just don't go in as much for that artsy fartsy bollocks. We like to sing profane chants instead.

Good post

(tip)

Football is tribal. It's raw. It's aggressive. This is why we have hooligans and violence.

But enjoy your 60 minutes of adverts and your Budweiserâ„¢ Half-Time Shows, I'm sure that's just as good.

>I admire European sports fans
stopped reading there

>Germany and Italy are probably the best
Agreed but don't forget Northern/Eastern Europe.

youtube.com/watch?v=flIbn65IvXE

>We like to sing profane chants instead
Who doesn't?

It goes way back well over 100 years. It's a working class thing, people used to sing in pubs after work - local folk songs, military service songs and all that. Put the same people on cold open terraces and they'll do the same thing.

Atmosphere wise they let a lot more go in Turkey, Greece, former Yugoslavia, other eastern European countries. Some of the biggest games in south America are similar atmospheres.

>is this something that depends on the channel or is it like this everywhere ?
Same shit everywhere. But you get used to it. I know I did and I found it grating as hell. Game threads on here help alleviate the constant interruption.

But yeah, it's totally made for 15 year olds that are constantly looking at their phones.

If basketball games didn't have those silly sound effects and cues for the crowd to sing, you'd have songs too.
It comes naturally

Singing has always been a part of large crowds even in ancient times they were singing in the arena's and most of the armys sing when marching look up the french legion during a march i think that just carryed over to modern sports.

As why it didnt happen in the U.S by the time you had big crowds in a stadium there were already speakers in place to make noise or an organ(sp) like they used at hockey and that evolved into the sounds you hear today "we will rock you" type of songs on the stadium speakers, the fans dont start the defence chant the dj plays a theme tatata tata and the fans can only follow with D-Fence.

While what you say is true i doubt we will ever see Americans chant like your basketball fans.
This one gives me chills everytime

youtube.com/watch?v=63ar03dMkI8

>muh zvezda
Yes, it's good, but also the only team in the Serbian league apart from Partizan. Also both clubs are shit now compared to 25 years ago

English "atmosphere" is literally "sing a rowdy tune once every five mins"
Only thing that can be heard through the telly are the away fans that usually chant a bit more passionately

i think that singing and in general hooligan culture is a sort of catharsis, we unravel our violent side on sports
chants are part of it, they're meant to be intimidating the opponent and boost your teams' morale

the biggest game i've ever played was a regional final and we ha real fans behind us, about a thousand of them, with drums, flags, chants and all and i felt stronger than ever before or after
i can't even begin to imagine what it is to play in a 90000 seat stadium, the adrenaline must be inhebriating

That's only in the premier league because you're thrown out of the stadium if you're too noisy, they want to cater to all the tourists and day trippers who will spend big bucks on food and in the megastore afterwards and want to keep them coming back.

If you go to lower league football where you don't have to pay £60 just for a ticket the fans are still as crazy as anywhere else in the world.

True dat. The BPL is awfully commercialized, literally headed towards MLS tier
>no chants
>no standing
>no flags
>no tifos
>no pyro
I have loads of respect for Championship/League One/League Two fans though.

From the roman times, see en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots