Sup Sup Forums. Need some help, figured I'd just ask here real quick

Sup Sup Forums. Need some help, figured I'd just ask here real quick.

Anyone know what model this mortar shell is from? It's about 12" long, and 3" at the widest point. Threadings on a hole in the nose, feels like the case is steel and the fins are aluminum. I think it was used for dummy training by US infantry maybe 30 years ago.

Belonged to my dad, was sitting in a closet for a long time and I wanna fix it up to look like it's supposed for his birthday so he can put it on display. I'm good at props and what not, I just don't know what kind of mortar this is.

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/mortar/81mm.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only way to find out is to jam it up your ass.

bumping with tits

OP take more pictures in different angles I may be able to help you out. Is there any blue markings?

Gimme sec, i can try to take more pictures.

My dad painted it like 15 years ago with olive green spray paint, so if there were markings they are gone.

Pics incoming

2/3

3/3

Other angles/measurements needed?

Nope, identified it.

Well that was fast, sweet.

M374A2 or M375A2 depending on if it was filled with HE or white phosphorous. The fuse and filler is missing as you can see into the cavity. The various holes drilled into the body and shaft means it was inerted.

hit it with a hammer

>M374A2 or M375A2
So something like this is what I'm shooting for? Does that mean I should fill the holes to make it look like a real mortar?

Go to \k\

3 inch is close to 76mm which was a brit mortar....pro tip... all shells are measured in MM diameter.

lol why are American mortars measured in mm if we use shitty imperial system. Oh well. Most likely 81mm mortar as previous user suggested, looks about the same on my ruler.

Correct, it is an American adaptation of the 81mm system. As for the holes go ahead and fill them but it could get tricky in the shaft. That picture is spot on what a typical 81mm looks like but if you really wanna go for authenticity you should ask your father what it was used for. I'm guessing it may have just been something that was inerted for recycling.

Is it okay to microwave this?

It's also missing its nylon rifling engaging band around the middle.

Thanks for the help user(s), here's some more tits.

why would this have ever been a live mortar? can't the army just get props straight from the factory? why but real mortars and then spend money to make it just a casing?

Could be that or dessiccant, can't really tell from the small picture.

That's the mortar that killed your brother. It will only bring back bad memories to your father.

Government gotta waste tax money somewhere.

Mortar shells are manufactured by civilian companies en mass and filled by the Army. They fuze it according to logisitical need but owning the shell itself is not illegal.

Also, explosives EXPIRE over time. Like a really deadly gallon of milk. Sometimes that milk is not drunk before the expiration date and it just gets scrapped.

NATO is why they standardized all munitions that way which is why we ditched 30-06 for 7.62x51 etc.

According to inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/mortar/81mm.html
The length of this thing should be about 500mm? But that means for the one I have here, the nose would have to be 200mm, since the rest of what I have is 300mm. Does that make sense? Cause that sounds wrong.

I thought they usually dump it in the ocean/sea? Because there are so many ammo dumps marked on sea charts.

waiting for op to blow himself up

Only in emergencies nowadays what with commie environmentalists run amok. Most munitions meant for destruction just go to a few sites in the US or by local military EOD and just taken care of there. I got to see EOD where I was working destroy 10K pounds of old explosives on a day off from work.

No more input?

isn't it this one: M880 SRTR

Oh shit, yeah I was just looking at that. It has the holes and everything exactly the same, and the measurements line up. Sweet.

Well I got what I wanted, thanks Sup Forums. Here's another pic for fun.

Your keyboard is so cool user thanks for putting it perfectly in frame, will you fuck my girlfriend since you're so cool?

Well I'll be damned. Good call.

> Upon impact, the SRTR emits a flash, bang, and smoke discharge but no fragmentation.
Now you need it to work like that.