Is the reason christian is not so popular in Japan because it would cause the Japanese culture, way if life...

Is the reason christian is not so popular in Japan because it would cause the Japanese culture, way if life, and work ethic to erode into a South South Korea?

South Korea is hardly christian, I'd imagine the reason it isn't popular is due to that society isn't prone to religion at the moment.

>tfw no Christian Asian gf

I wouldn't say South Korea is hardly Christian--- infact most Christian South Koreans are MORE Christian than our Christians.

I don't know why, but japs tend to take an obscure attitude to religion and South Korea has nothing to do with it.

30% of pops here are christians

You nuked their Christians.

25 chrisitian 25 buddism 50 no religion

Japan killed anyone who became Christian back in the warring states era.
The country was a military government and didn't want the people to stop believing in the emperor.

Maybe not Hardly, but the populace is just about as Buddhist as christian and even more are atheist. Nigeria is as Christian as Korea.

Also, the isolation of Japan from the West prevented any cultural exchange so no one could preach Christianity. It saved them from the nightmare of British colonialism and the opium trade.

Watch samurai champloo, gaijin exported Christianity to stop the influence of the emperor of Japan so they could backdoor into Japan

They killed any preachers

>the warring states era
>believing in the emperor

Apologies humble Samurai. Please do not decapitate me.

Japan actually had a surprising number of Christian prime ministers(or prime ministers in general, kek). Just look it up.

They're all postwar though except the one before WW2.

Please do not pretend to know about Japanese history.

Common poor japs didn't give a fuck about emperor in the warring states era. it's since meiji era desu senpai.

Most people put their faith into something regardless of what's going on around them.

didnt japs genocide christians? or was it the other way around?

So it was much more like Buddhism.

christian missionaries were and remain subversive SJW nation-deformers in Japan. their expulsion and execution was completely justified

because koreans so badly want to be white

あh

Japan closed its borders to keep Christians the fuck out, and oppressed the fuck out of Christians for the next 250 years. In modern times, they are well educated, wealthy, and smart, so Christianity never began to take root again.

There's seriously no reason for them to be Christian. It's probably one of the more enjoyable things about their country, people don't care about religion.

Also Korea is broken in many, many ways. Japan couldn't descend to that level if they tried.

come on
> the warring states era
killed Christians for a Feudal lord (with Buddhism).
>meiji era
killed other Asians for emperor

understand?

shit koreans have no real culture other than being chinas fucktoy, so they steal european culture instead

Can you say it in Korean ?

Ieyasu was right.

I can't speak Korean.

What are you talking about?

>bullshit
>trying to cover up

>veils

Neat, I only see hardcore catholic women wear them here

I think that Christianity isn't popular in Japan because until fairly recently it was actively persecuted

>raised Catholic
>interested in Japanese culture
>read Silence by Endo
Dirty gooks should stay away from my Christianity

they're too busy masturbating to little girls. Japs can't into culture aside from pedophile anime

also Japs have no soul, nothing to save there

Wrong. Koreans identified the Holy Trinity with some trio of deities in Korean folklore, whereas Shintoism is _nothing_ even remotely like Christianity.

japs arent really suitable for a religion like christianity

>Shintoism is _nothing_ even remotely like Christianity.

That's fine tho, European pagan religions were nothing like Christianity either but they still all got btfo. Japan was shitting on Christians more or less up until the end of WW2, so it makes sense that there aren't very many.

European pagans converted because they associated Christianity with civilization and literacy.

Romans and Greeks were already plenty civilized and literate my dude.

Don't worry, as long as you don't try to force it, nips don't give a shit about religion anymore.

>t. Adolph

>the Romans were rich and became Christians
>the Germans were poor tribal niggers and became Christians because the Romans were rich

>romans were rich when they were pagan

>the germans adopted the imperial cult and started praising jupiter because the romans were rich

The RE was Christianized by an edict of the emperor though, it wasn't outside conquerors who did it.

I saw Starbucks in this circle

Yes that was true. Japan were already a reasonably civilized society, not pagan tribesmen when they first had contact with Europe also Europeans were a totally alien race and culture.

No it's because the nips are too proud and smart to fall for a middle eastern abrahamic sand religion.

China and Vietnam resisted Christianity specifically because it went against the doctrines of the state Confucianist ideology in that it denied ancestor worship. However, many Vietnamese did become Catholics after the French conquest.

Japan is a very odd culture, one of the only places where pagan/shamanistic religious practices have survived unlike most of the world where they were wiped out by Christianity, Islam, or communism.

Samefag

*teleports behind you*

*throws bladed fedora*

*decapitates you*

Psh, nothin' personal, kid.

That Pole is a persistent underage Stormfag troll. Please do not feed it.

wow what a friccin goober, just what I would expect from a fucking pole

Japs are absolutely savage sometimes, but in fact, Christianity and colonizationism came at the same time for savage countries, so military government feared them.

Believer parents of Jehovah's Witnesses rejected transfusion and abandoned their child to death in 1985.Since that,Japanese regard Christianity as an insane cult.

>all Christians are Jehovah's Witnesses

Also remove your proxy, Straw Boss.

During the Japanese occupation of Korea, Christianity became widely popular as a form of patriotic resistance as Japan had imposed a policy of cultural assimilation onto Koreans. This included banning Korean shamanism and altering Korean Buddhism to closer resemble Buddhism as it was practiced in Japan. However, the bulk of these efforts were put into a Quixotic quest to convert Koreans to Shintoism.

Also during the period from the Meiji Restoration until the 1920s-30s, Christianity could be practiced almost freely in Japan with no restrictions. Because Korean law during the occupation period was modeled in close accordance with Japanese laws, this meant that Christianity could also be practiced in Korea unimpeded. In fact, for years Christian churches in Korea were the primary center of nationalist resistance and converting to Christianity was seen as patriotic. To this day, Christianity and Korean nationalism are still quite closely linked.

Japan and China did not experience these peculiar conditions.

The anti-Christian persecutions of the Tokugawa era had a deep effect on Japanese society that is still felt today.

As for China, Christian missionaries engaged in extensive campaigns starting in the mid-19th century. Their efforts were less than successful partially because of hostility to foreigners, but also because Christianity denied the concept of ancestor worship. Worse than that, missionary activity in China was generally based around the mission house which gave food stipends to converts. Thus, many Chinese "converted" simply to get a free meal rather than out of any actual spiritual fervor.

Admittedly, Christianity has done better in China since the event of communism as religious persecution eliminated most of these "rice" Christians. However, the unrelenting hostility of the government has also become the main hindrance to church growth in China, and while Christianity is strong in certain areas within China, its numbers are still quite a bit smaller than sometimes believed.

The other thing is that most Korean Christians lived in the north and all fled south during the Korean War. The South Korean government came to link the Christian religion with their principle benefactors in the United States and saw it as a shield against godless communism. Moreover, South Korea's first president, Syngman Rhee, was a Christian.

Japanese culture tends to believe in relativism, it has a hard time swallowing the black and white rules of the Bible. Chinese and Korean culture does tend to be based more on absolutes, partially because they had the tradition of a centralized monarchical government behind them. "The emperor commands and you obey."

Nobody Japanese think all christians are Jehovah's Witnesses believer, but members of cults like it often invite people to them calling popular christians themselves, so Japanese take precautions against self-proclaimed christians.

Because Japanese are a stong and nationalistic people with a strong sense of honor, this kike cult can only succeed with rootless shameless people

Cute, it found a French proxy.

Jehovah's Witnesses aren't Christian. They reject the trinity which is pretty much the one central dogma all Christians are supposed to agree on and have lots of other kooky beliefs.

Calling JW's Christian is a bit like calling Aum Shinrikyo a form of Japanese Buddhism.

So smart.
>that is still felt today
Although, I don't think so. There are tons of Christianity symbols.
Most japs just can't take these seriously even Buddhism.

I feel that we just missed an opportunity for any religion after all.

Ya, but JW's are kind of how it's portrayed in Japanese animes at least.
You have the Christian schools which are designed for the pure, perfect and rich(normally) women and you have the door to door salesman aspect where they try to get people involved with missionary like behavior.

It's been said that Japanese are Shintoists at weddings, Buddhists at funerals, and Christians on Christmas.

good explanation, thank you.

Almost all japs are Christians and Shintoistsat at weddings.

It's funny but we divided into two times.

Maybe we can convert them if we make them masturbate to little boys more :^]

Because Shinto is better than Christianity.
And America nuked Nagasaki. The city had a biggest Christian church in the East World before WW2.

>mfw Japanese aren't all buddhist

Most Japanese are superstitious and believe in luck and ghosts and junk like that and performing rituals, but not in actively practicing a religion or believing in a Supreme Being.

BTW, the small percentage of Christians that do exist in Japan include some extremely ridiculous types who are often affiliated with Korean churches and they go around in the street with megaphones yelling that unbelievers will be cast into Hell and shit like that.

When I was in Osaka on New Year's Eve with a friend, there were Christians out there with signs, preaching, yelling, holding signs, pushing pamphlets and Bibles into people's hands. Mind you, they were doing this in front of the large temple that people were going to pray to. When I explained to my friend that I didn't like that stuff she had a bit of trouble understanding why. Her family is Soka Gakkai though and doesn't do the Shinto rites so it could have been that too, but she had trouble understanding my view that I thought it was too forward and in really bad taste. It'd be like Muslims going and standing in front of Christian churches and handing out the Koran and trying to convert them.

Christian missionaries made some progress in the early years after Japan was opened to foreign powers, but it lost steam by the 1890s as the government pushed the Shinto emperor cult.

BTW, if you go out to the small towns and rural areas of Japan, people do practice Buddhism or the other traditional religions more often than the cities which are totally fedora except at weddings and funerals.

I generally despise religion because the tenets and good will that it's supposed to promote become weapons of hate towards other religions.

That's also why i think there's some irony with Yasukuni because by their religion they enshrine everybody which includes war criminals. it reminds me of how in school I was taught to pray for enemies and "evil" people for salvation and to not wish for anybody to go to Hell.

I did attend a Catholic service in Tokyo, but the people were all over the age of 60 and my Japanese wasn't good enough to understand what was going on.

Also it was annoying as fuck to be subjected to the nutcases outside Meiji Jingu with their megaphones yelling how we're going to Hell and the world will end if we don't repent our sins.

The problem with Christianity in East Asia is that it lacks the historical and cultural connections that it has to Western civilization, so they miss a lot of things and just end up with the text of the Bible which they interpret to the letter and end up with stuff like I mean, Korean Christianity is pretty weird compared to what you're used to in the West and almost cultish in a way.

all japan christanity is korean cult

They aren't christians -they are evangelists.

See point. In China and Japan, Christianity was the religion of invader white devils. In Korea, it was a shield against Japanese occupation and later communism.

Lack of Christianity, or really any religion at all, is one of the very best things about Japan and I hope it never changes.

Christianity won't be taken up in Japan because there is no reason for any well educated populace to start believing in random fairy tales from a book someone brought over from another country.

Hundreds of years ago people were less educated and religions spread more easily. Fortunately that situation is starting to reverse somewhat.

Are we supposed to ignore the fact that Japan did exactly this several times in their history? Having lived here a while I don't find the average education level to be that high at all. It's pretty much like anywhere else in the world.

My point is that in those times of their history they weren't educated compared to where they are now. No first world countries today are picking up new religions.

I do believe that peoples knowledge of science and theories of evolution and such makes it very hard for new religions to penetrate. Even a hundred years ago people were likely nowhere near as close to as educated as they are today.

(Although the spread of Islam makes me wonder, but that seems more about an already uneducated populace moving to other countries rather than convincing new people. This is all just random opinion though and quite possibly bullshit).

The spread of religions in a place has very little to do with education. There is a lot of superstition in Japan as it is, and its only a few steps from that to a religion. I don't think anyone has to worry about a critical mass spread of the religion in Japan though mainly because no one has any time for religions. I think this is why Shinto/Buddhism has a comfortable spot here; it demands little of the people to be a 'follower', just performing a ritual at a temple every once in a while.

That said, there is a fairly strong presence of Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses in Japan though, but only so much in that they are annoying when they bug you.

>Lack of Christianity, or really any religion at all, is one of the very best things about Japan and
Yes, how happy instead they got emperor worship Shintoism and went on the war crime spree to end all war crime sprees in East Asia.

Atheism could have succeeded as well in Japan. At least in the top half, if Stalin had got his way in 1945. I'm sure The People's Republic of Hokkaido would have been so happy about that.

Anyway, as to the question "Why did Christianity ...fail in Japan?"

The answer is down to a fluke of history: Tokogawa's decision to ban it.

Otherwise Christianity had been doing fine with many Diamyo, not just in Kyushu, adopting the religion and Oda Nobunaga enjoying the company of Jesuits.
I'm not saying Japan would have become fully Christian, aka the Philippines, but it would have had a bigger presence.

Either way, the idea of "mentality" determining what religion a country will be is a crazy case of confusing cause with effect.

I'd say most people don't even understand evolution and how sure scientists are of it, this is my observation from samples on the Internet and real life, no hard facts. There's too much superstition around that I'm constantly amazed how some people can believe somethings without weighting them in their logic!
So I don't think that's a good reason.

>The answer is down to a fluke of history: Tokogawa's decision to ban it

And thank "God" he did.

So was Buddhism coming to Japan in the 6th Century OK but Christianity in the 16th Century not OK? When did the clock stop for you? Which century?

As for you anti-Muslim comment...well, I think bigots like you would have got on just fine in totalitarian Tokugawa.

By the time Christianity started imposing itself, Buddhism was already accepted, though of course there were people who objected to it in its initial stages (and even later and today). There was no place for yet another foreign religion trying to become numero uno. Banning it saved them.

FWIW, Christianity was also a foreign religion from the Middle East, completely foreign to Europe (protip: European gods are Zeus, Thor, and Odin, not Yahweh) but after some centuries and after millions were genocided, it became "part" of Europe, just as Buddhism is now part of Japan.

You say religions should never, ever spread across national boundaries (now there's an anachronism) at any time in history but if they do, and they succeed, well then that is fine.

No it's not "fine," but it is what it is and is undoable without some religious war. Thankfully this didn't happen in Japan with Christianity.

It's not "fine" that Christianity established itself in Europe, but it is what it is. And the Muslims have tried to take over in the past, though luckily without any success except for Albania and Bosnia, but they're doing it again, and this time without even raising a sword, because the EU is practically enabling them. Islam will become the major religion of (Western) Europe, and you have no bloody right to call me a "bigot" if I oppose this transformation. You're basically telling me: "just give up and take it up the a** like a good loser." Just GTFO.

Ok I want to understand your position. Are the religions bad or just some of them sometime? Or are you against religions that seem to still be more extremist, hence earlier Christians being banned in Japan was good. But now they have calmed down in Europe, and Islam is the religion with more extremists, so should be banned from Europe?

Is it something like all religions bad, but if one already has a foothold for god's sake don't throw another in the mix. Don't throw a turd in the piss soup type of thing? (not singling any religion out as either one)

There is almost no logic to Christianity apart from "that's what my parents taught me when I grew up". Anyone who weighs any religion by logic should naturally conclude it's total nonsense. Always.

Not all religions are bad, i.e., Buddhism, but all Abrahamic religions should be obliterated from the face of the earth, together with their buildings. I don't care how pretty a cathedral is, use the exterior as an outside shell, but build a hospital inside it instead.

I'd ban Christianity in Europe and America too, but yes, since Christians are relatively calm these days after they've successfully murdered and converted half of the world's population in the previous centuries, and now the uneducated third world Muslim immigrants have started mass immigrating into Europe and America, all thanks to the braindead liberals and leftists, the focus is on stopping Islam obviously. It is a fact that due to the low (and ever lower) native European birthrate, which is 3-4x times behind those of third world immigrants (who just keep coming), European demographics will change dramatically over the next 30 years.

Buddhism is terrible aside from one or two life lessons which I'm pretty sure it didn't invent.