Hey Sup Forumsros is Gif pronounced with a hard g or soft g

Hey Sup Forumsros is Gif pronounced with a hard g or soft g

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FkVYHUMCCwc
youtube.com/watch?v=BSEV_gFxhpo
knowyourmeme.com/memes/desu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

as per the creator, the guy with the rights to name his creation, its a soft g, like jiff. upon learning this information, anyone still demanding its pronunciation be a hard g and refusing to adapt to the TRUTH is nothing more than an ignorant swine.

people throwing the argument of "jraphics" and such have zero foundation as many other acronym words are pronounced differently than the words they stand for, such as "scuba", "nato", and "pin" number. and people that claim "just because he named it, doesnt mean anything" i counter with the fact that people have names that are pronounced differently than how they are spelled, or even differently from somebody spelled the same way, such as "juan" or "louis"

get fucked nerds. soft g. facts.

I admire your thoroughness, user. I also say JIF, like the peanut butter.

>the creator gets to change how words work just because i want to win this petty argument

Nope, sorry bitch.

Graphical Inline File
Graphics.
Guh-rafics.
Gif.
Guh-if.

Its not "jiff" because holy shit look how you spell that when you want it to sound like "jiff"... you USE A FUCKING J BECAUSE THATS HOW YOU WOULD MAKE THAT SOUND; REKT.

0/10 bad troll. everything you've attempted to state has already been countered.

jiff in hell furfags

/thread

Flawed arguments for flawed thinkers.

The inventor invented the "Graphical Inline File" format. He did not invent an acronym. That was natural to the word, its not like he invented a commercial product with a specially spelled name, for copyright purposes.

Hard G, everyone relevant says so. All linguistics majors agree.

0/10 ignoring the part of the post that addresses other such acronyms. squeal louder, ignorant swine.

cherry picking examples prove nothing. even though it is factually soft g like jif, i can discredit that entire picture by bringing up the word "gift"

Gutteral and asperiated

Irrefutable point 1:
>you use a J for "jiff" because that is what makes a soft G sound.

Irrefutable point 2:
>graphics is the first word, it uses a hard G sound, this gives you a point to start from

Irrefutable point 3:
>the inventor did not invent the acronym, he invented the file format and gave it a proper, three-word name. the only reason it was used as an acronym immediately was due to the 8.3 file format limitations, requiring the extension .gif - not because the guy wanted to make it easy to say

Irrefutable point 4:
>The word "Gift"

Rekt. Try a bit harder than just alluding to counter arguments. Try posting one, fagmo.

Nijjer

Gift.
Gif.

Hard G.
Any further questions?

>"pin" number

Argument is instantly invalid

Its bait cause I wanna know what Sup Forums thinks wow you are not a Sup Forumsro but a Sup Forumstard

Nope

I agree

I pronounce it with a soft G or J sound but I don't have autism so either one is acceptable to me.

point 1, explaining phonetics through simple text. g is a letter known for having both sounds. try hard faggot.

point 2 and 3, entirely irrelevant, see other examples of acronyms that do not follow the pronunciation the originally stand for.

point 4, irrelevant as it is an entirely different word.

squeal harder ignorant swine.

then you're wrong, he fucking compared telling people how you want your name pronounced, to a guy that invented a file format getting to tell people how to pronounce the acronym that he did not invent. The acronym was already there once he made the 3-worded name. Use your fucking brain.

We are not talking about a guy who decided to call animated images "GIFS", he invented the fucking image format itself. He did not invent a sound thats made by shortening the name of his invention.

When the hell did 'soft g' become 'giant, gentle, gist'??

It should be the other way around! The G in 'Goat' sounds softer than 'Giant'.

We all agree!

Gift.

Gif.

Cry harder, butthurt infant.

You fucktard!

Steve Wilhite, the inventor of the widely used Web illustration, declared it should be pronounced “jif,” like the brand of peanut butter.

Master trole 2016

The p in jpg is photograph. Do you say jpheg?

He has no right to. He made a file format, once he made up a name for it: "Graphical Inline File", the acryonym was already in place, he only later put in his OPINION, when asked due to it being a hot topic. Guess what, he's not a fucking linguistics major. Fuck his opinon and yours.

tell me more about nato and scuba being pronounced the same way all of their individual words are. tell me more how nato is pronounced like "natto" and scuba is pronounced like "scuhbba" and pin number is really "pine" number.

to quote the creator of the format, "it's pronounced like jiff, not gif". that is to say, he used gif as how not to say .gif, so he's retarded and can't be trusted to understand

Retard detected

0/10

If anything you should be asking if anyone pronounces it, or thinks it should be pronounced like
>jippig
or
>juh-peeg

yeah, facts usually troll people where it hurts the most.

All terrible arguments. Show me words similar to those that are pronounced like you wrote.
Now look at this

Gif.
Gift.
Girl.
Give.
Gimme.
Gimli.
Gimbal.
Gimp.

Fuck man, you're rekt, just move on. Hard G for life.

Which G sounds more sharp and attacking? Grape or Giant?

Done.

Grape = soft G
Giant = hard G.

>see other examples of acronyms that do not follow the pronunciation the originally stand for.

Those acronyms are just pronounced the way that seems natural. Apparently, for most people the most natural way to pronounce "gif" is with a hard "g".

Do you have any examples of other acronyms where the first letter is pronounced differently than it is in the word it stands for?

Oh Gesus its a Giant

the point is that the entire basis of "it stands for graphics" is completely nullified. how other words are pronounced is irrelevant, much like your list. i can give you "gist" and "giraffe" off of the top of my head. g is a flexible letter and in this case its a soft g, as per facts.

its sad how adamant of an ignorant swine you are. you're desperately scratch and claw at anything to "prove" a hard g, when you actually have nothing. all of the fact are in place for a soft g. just accept it like an intelligent person, instead of continuing to be an ignorant swine and petulant child.

Graphics Interchange Format

Same sound as "graphics" because acronyms don't just sprout new pronunciations on their own. This is the correct answer.

Gif.
Gift.
Girl.
Give.
Gimme.
Gimli.
Gimbal.
Gimp.

versus

>gist
>giraffe

You used the word "adamant" wrong. And a "you're" for no reason. And the way you just keep repeating those 7th grade reading-level insults leads me to believe you are just hoping to appear intelligent in order to fool people into thinking you won some ground. You lost kiddo.

Trump 2016 Make Sup Forums Great again.

>Oh shit look 'Great' isn't pronounced "Jreat". >Imagine that.

/thread

this guy gets it

it's pronounced 'jif'

and webm is pronounced 'wai-baum'

personally, i dont. however i dont know any other acronyms that are considered words where the first letter carries multiple natural sounds. the closest thing i can think of would be "CIA" as if i assumed it was a word, i would think "kee-uh", but nobody says it as a word, they just say the letters.

/threkt

if it's "jif", how do you pronounce the ".jif" format then?

Oh here's one..

What percentage of you think "Desu" is pronounced like "Dessooo"? I bet only like 10% are weeb enough to know about the silent U.

thinking quantity matters, lmao. doesnt change facts, buddy. try harder.

lol

You're wrong and tasteless, though. The guy who named it doesn't have the right to tell us how it's pronounced, acronym pronunciation is linguistically generated from the words the acronym contains. If it's pronounced differently it's because the pronunciation has drifted over time to something inaccurate which happens all the time, it's a linguistic process too. "PIN number", for instance, "Personal identification number number"? But everyone says it that way anyway.

If you say "jiff" a normal person is going to mishear ".tiff" and you will get a 15MB image file that's 20 times the size of your monitor.

its less than pronounced, but more than silent. try again.

Gif.
Add a letter:
Gift.
Do you pronounce that word as "Jift"? Are you that retarded?

It's pronounced with a fricative growling noise.
Like saying G in Dutch.
And it can be pronounced with a hard G, or a soft G.
Anyone who argues over the pronunciation of words should kill themselves before their autism spreads to any legitimate member of the human race.

maybe in your animes, weeb, but not in practical convo.

>acronym pronunciation is linguistically generated from the words the acronym contains
tell me more about nato and scuba.

>clearly makes a point about the pronunciation of words before denouncing any discourse regarding the pronunciation of words
Troll 2/10
Do you pronounce 'troll' like 'Jroll'?

>im just gonna say everything you said was irrelevant because it's so easier than giving real facts to support your thinking

pic related, drink it

Doesn't matter faggot. He can be wrong. He also is wrong.
kill yourself, you lost.
you won

/threadx2

try reading previous stated argument and understanding facts. try again.

then it's pronounced "gee eye eff"

try again idiot

Try to comprehend this:
G is a consonant.
the "A" in nato is a vowel. the "U" in scuba is a vowel.
When you compare apples to oranges, you fail to make any point.

The "A" in nato sounds like "Nayto" because there aren't two T's. THEN it would be "Natto". Scuba, with two B's becomes "Scubba", without me even needing to change the spelling for you to know how that sounds. Because its fucking logical. Just like Gif and Gift making the same G sound.

well descriptive grammar is highly dependant on sample pool, so maybe the rule is different.

Anyway i actually do agree with you because IF YOU TYPE G READ G ENGLISH HAS THE SECOND MOST RETARDED SPELLING SYSTEM

you mean glottal? and aspirated?

>doesn't know about desu

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=FkVYHUMCCwc

/thread

get fucked Jif fags, skippy is clearly superior

>gist
>giraffe

I use a hard g but I would like to point out:

genie
Gene
gym
giant
gel
gem
germ
gypsy
gyroscope

first word of the acronym is graphic.... i dont think that's irrelevant as an argument, that's just the way the word is pronounced, independently of how you prefer to say it. it's just the way it is, can't just yell IRRELEVANT at every point we make. try again.

ITT: Faggots actually arguing with an obvious troll.

If you can't understand the sarcasm in my saying that anyone should use a language that can only be properly spoken by people with throat cancer to determine how to say ANY word, then you should kill yourself before your autism spreads to the dick you're chocking on.
Also, the letter T is never pronounced like the letter J, whereas G is sometimes pronounced with a growl, faggot.

Oh, I see. You think a proper name of an imaginary character takes priority over an ancient word used by millions in conversation, billions of times per day. Interesting insight into the Sup Forums thought process and how we get so many of what appear to be trolls.

As they say, never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

Looks like you forgot the letter 'i' in all of those, buddy. You know, like
Gif.
Gift.
Gill.
Give.
Gimme.
Gimli.
Gimbal.
Gimp.
Gizmo.
Gig.

Listen Legoland, I don't live in fucking Jondor you Gackass.

Gigantic?

>being this mad

>I can't argue against him, I'll just call him a troll
Top kek

If I heard someone pronounce it as "JIFF" irl, I would punch them right in their fucking face.

>comes up with one word to counter a list
>its root word has already been used in this thread "Giant"

Nice argument.

Except for Giant

Again... I think it's a hard G but just throwing it out there.

youtube.com/watch?v=BSEV_gFxhpo

literally rekt

NATO, "National", same N.
SCUBA, "Self", same S.

You uh, you a linguistics student troll? This is some airplane taking off on a treadmill shit you're pulling.

>guy uses sarcasm
>other guy doesnt accept sarcasm
>guy gets mad
>laugh at mad guy
>"nice argument"
wat

Giant has been mentioned 5 times now, and it's an outlier; one of the only examples you can give because it's such an uncommon use of the letter.

now, one more time, look at this:
>Gif
>Gift
/thread

knowyourmeme.com/memes/desu

Type: Shitposting
Year: 2006
Origin: Sup Forums
Tags: desu, suiseiseki, Sup Forums, rozen, maiden, rule, 51, anime, otaku, copula, weaboo, moshi, animé, derail, shitposting, onomatopoeia

I forget what being a teenager is even like, could you tell me a story newfag?

language is completely made up. It's pronunciation has evolved along with the culture it exists in. there are no 'rules', only interpretations. if you say 'jiff', everyone still know what you are talking about (.gif). if you say 'giff', everyone still knows what you are talking about.

i still maintain however that the word 'giant' should be considered a hard g, not soft.

this is correct and thank you for listening.

HARD D MOTHERFUCKER!

>not being able to tell the first guy's a troll
???

try again. gift is a non relevant point, giraffe and gist are two examples. quantity of word examples dont matter, precedent matters. its a consonant with multiple potential sounds. in this case is a soft g. plenty of other aspects prove it.

Congrats OP, let your mum know that your troll thread was a huge success! :^)

i dont "just" say irrelevant , i provided examples as to why that is so. you refuse to accept it. you claim definitive laws of linguistics or some shit, but i cleanly point out how wrong you are.

>the closest possible spelling to the word in question is not relevant
>look at these words that are not as similar, they are relevant

Fuck. You.

Gift.
Gif.

It's not "Jift" and it's not "Jif". Sorry, retard.

Sup Forums - come for the tits, stay for the tard fights.

you missed the part where the argument was fully countered already. reading is hard.

Social norms override creator

What do you call tissue pape?
Kleenex
What do you call adhesive bandages?
Bandaid