You'd have to be a rocket surgeon to understand this

You'd have to be a rocket surgeon to understand this

ELI5

Not really you just look at the combination where 4 best 3rd place teams come out of and then you know who's facing who in the knockouts.

The left is the order in required in which to determine the match ups on the right. The group winners of A-D player the 3rd placed teams. So in the first sequence, if the winner of Group A is the best ranked team, they play 3rd place from Group C, and if the winner of Group B is ranked second they play 3rd place from Group D, and so on and so forth.

Fucking typos

Basically if the group winners are ranked as such in the left column, the subsequent columns show which 3rd place teams they would play.

>simple combination of a letter and a number
>rocket science

wait the 3rd team?
So of 4 teams in the group stages 3 pass?
what the hell

reddit get the fuck out

Only the best 4 of 6

I don't know why this is such a revelation is to people, the World Cup was like this for years

>ELI5
wew. this one is sure to bait the kiddies

well that's the consequence of having 3rd placed team advance

This is absolutely incorrect. There are only 15 combinations possible for 4 best ranked out of the 6 3rd teams. This list all the combinations you can make with the 4 best 3rd rank teams.

nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!
Where n is 6 and r is 4.

I was just signing off. My name is Eli and I'm 5 years old

>the World Cup was like this for years

how so you rank groups?

>This list all the combinations you can make with the 4 best 3rd rank teams.

That is literally what I fucking said

You dont this guy was wrong The matchups are only affected by which 4 best 3rd places teams advance out the 6 3rd place teams.

1986, 1990 and 1994 all had this format

It's true. 1982 to 1994.

HOW DO YOU RANK GROUPS?

Also if winner of A is ranked #1, shouldn't they face off against 3rd from D, which is ranked last? And B against C?

No you fucktard you are talking out your ass

>The left is the order in required in which to determine the match ups on the right.
Order?? Theres no order its just the 4 groups where their 3rd place teams made it out

>The group winners of A-D player the 3rd placed teams.
correct

>So in the first sequence, if the winner of Group A is the best ranked team, they play 3rd place from Group C,

Winner of group A is the best ranked team?? Wtf ranked compared to who ? The other group winners??? You dont rank group winners.

At know point did you state that the left are the 15 combinations you can make out the 6 3rd place teams and that it determines which group winners face who if that combo is fullfilled.

Retarded leaf