"My language has this word, ____...

>"My language has this word, ____, that can't be translated into any other language! It means extreme sadness and longing for the past"
>"So, Depression? Misery? Despair? Melancholy?"
>"N-no, it's totally different, it's much stronger!"

I know that this exists in Russian, Finnish, Portuguese, Japanese, and probably every single god damn language on earth, including the smug assurance that your language's word is the strongest, as if that actually means anything objective. Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.transparent.com/french/top-10-untranslatable-french-words/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

we're special snowflakes, stop your jewish tricks and let us be unique

Nostalgia

Why do I feel like a retard for answering?

How is it unique when EVERY fucking language has the same "untranslatable" word that always means "extreme sadness"?

Some languages do have unique words. I'm pretty sure every language has at least one word or concept that you couldn't easily translate, because of cultural differences, but sadness is a human emotion that everyone feels.

>flag
you are the one

>"NO YOU DUMB FOREIGNER IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM NOSTALGIA, IT MEANS LONGING FOR THE PAST AND BEING SAD ABOUT HOW IT WON'T COME BACK, THIS IS AN EXCLUSIVE EMOTION THAT ONLY MY CULTURE HAS"

If you're talking about Saudade, that's not what it means.

saudade

inb4 it's not english, yes it is

>Saudade (European Portuguese: [sɐwˈðaðɨ], Brazilian Portuguese: [sawˈdadi] or [sawˈdadʒi], Galician: [sawˈðaðe]; plural saudades)[1] is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return.[2] A stronger form of saudade might be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing, moved away, separated, or died.

Literally just nostalgia and grief

do you have a word for 6 gorillion jews baked in the ovens

צוללות בחינם

>nostalgia and grief
so it expresses two concepts

that's why you can't translate it into an english word

no need to get butthurt over it

Then literally just grief

How is feeling saudade different than feeling grief?

You Portucucks are the cringiest assholes. "Saudade" is the best example of a word with translation, but that you keep insisting it means something else.

But there's still a translation for that. And the translation is "nostalgia and grief." It's not a completely foreign concept at all.

more like סבון ואפר

I don't know. Ask the Portugays.

But is it so difficult to imagine a word that expresses a concept that the English language does not have?

Ours is sisu, just means spirit basically, as in Have some spirit etc.

Yeah, so you can explain the word using the three English words "nostalgia and grief". You can't translate it into one single English word.

t. portuguese people's official spokesman

Lie

Here's something english lacks, I think

A word for ''make it in time''

Ehtiä in finnish

Hinna in swedish

Probably exists in lots of languages

Ripuloisinkohan

Here it's "dor"

probably because there are subtleties which can't be translated

For example, in French there's the verb "flâner", which means to wander around aimlessly (generally on foot) while wasting one's time away. Obviously there are several words and expressions in English which can approximate this, however all of them have small differences.

"to wander" is pretty close, but the problem is that wander doesn't imply wasting one's time, unlike flâner. Both imply moving about with no specific aim, but often wander has some connotation of seeking something, whereas flâner cannot have such a connotation.
"to loiter" is similar, but the problem is that loiter implies being relatively stationnary, whereas flâner generally implies movement.
"to mill around" is also similar, but again it doesn't really imply wasting one's time, nor does it even necessarily imply being aimless.

finna in american english :DD

It's Sehnsucht, its like missing someone or something in just a very strong and melancholic way.

Apparently we have several words like this:

blogs.transparent.com/french/top-10-untranslatable-french-words/

Funny enough I can't think of a proper translation for 'gezelligheid'. Haha take that, stupid jew.

Spanish have a few significant words:

Tuerto - A person with one eye
Manco - A person with one arm
Cojo - A person with one leg
Friolero - Sensitive to coldness
Estrenar - Using something for the first time
Sobremesa - The talking you do with other people after eating

I bet koselighet means the same thing in my language.

>Estrenar

We have "Étrenner", which means the same thing.

>Friolero - Sensitive to coldness
We have the same word in French: "frileux" (feminine "frileuse"). The noun associated to this adjective is "frilosité".

However, AFAIK we don't have such an adjective or noun for sensitivity to heat, which is a bit annoying at times because I can recall several situations where I wish I could have used such a word.

Do your languages have a word that expresses not being thirsty?

We have ''verzadigd'', but it's used more when talking about food

Also we have ''heimwee'', that comes closest

Only for sobremesa I can't find a French equivalent. I have the feeling it might exist though...

>heimwee
>heim+wee
Doesn't that literally just mean homesick?

It does
I literally don't know any other ''special'' word for the shit OP describes

Yes

Dor means pain in PT

flâner has a notion of frivolity

>We have ''verzadigd'', but it's used more when talking about food

we also have being "gelest"

as in: "na deze fles water gedronken te hebben ben ik gelest"

but it would be really weird to use it.

>chujnia

Does degolar exist in other languages? It's not beheading, you just slice the throat.

This
Using one word to explain something vague or with multiple meanings doesn't count as a word.

Ameridumbs at at again

"kelen"

literally "throating"

he's right though.

>tfw jebem ti mater which is literally translated to fuck your mother is used in like 20 different ways

I literally said in my second post in the thread that every languages has unique words, but that this specific concept isn't unique, and even if you couldn't find an English translation (which you can) it would still not be unique because almost every language has this specific kind of word

Hrvati su genocidan narod

alright here's your word
PIZDETS
ПИЗДEЦ
good luck translating that

>Tuerto - A person with one eye

éénoog

>Manco - A person with one arm

éénarm

>Cojo - A person with one leg

éénbeen

>Friolero - Sensitive to coldness

koukleum

>Estrenar - Using something for the first time

>Sobremesa - The talking you do with other people after eating

napraten, uitbuiken

What's Yiddish for jewry? I mean surely you wily fuckers must have a word for everything.

>(oh) fuck!
There, translated

jebem ti mater

"Kamelåså"

Come on kike, I dare you.

égorger

isn't that just a fancy way of saying "Syggelekokle"?

Gezellig

>Apples = Bananas
Its two different things, you fucking leaf.

Are there any words in hebrew/Yiddish that aren't easily translatable? I'd be interested to know

Kanker

We don't have that.

You have sisu which is in the same vein

Sisu has nothing to do with extreme sadness.

I meant in the way that it's a word that's apparently unique, but the concept really isn't unique

Degollar in Spanish.

I think he means that Sisu is untranslatable

Still haven't heard a good english paralell tbqh

You would know Yiddish better than me since it's just a dialect of German, but I guess that if I had to translate Jewery into Hebrew I would say יהודנות, Yehudanut, but that's not a real word (though any Hebrew speaker would understand it means something like Jewishism)

Grit/guts mean the exact same thing, from what ive read. Fair enough maybe it holds a special place in the hearts of finns, but the words have the exact same connotation in English. A very common phrase is "stiff upper lip" which is the same thing - dignity in quiet hardship

Gibbrish
Volapukaĵo

I don't know what the Russian or Japanese word is, but I see a lot of people make the claim that these languages have these meme words about sadness.

I'd say "takhles", which I guess could be translated as "the figurative bottom line"

Example:
>Saudade (European Portuguese: [sɐwˈðaðɨ], Brazilian Portuguese: [sawˈdadi] or [sawˈdadʒi], Galician: [sawˈðaðe]; plural saudades)[1] is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return.[2] A stronger form of saudade might be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing, moved away, separated, or died.
>OK, and "Takhles"?
>It's just a fancy way of saying grief

There is also the word Dugri, which is basically the same thing but more of an Adverb rather than an adjective or a noun (though you can still use Takhles as an Adverb)

The word itself is probably translatable, but it symbolizes a unique part of Israeli culture

Pic related is a joke about how Bibi once tried to "talk dugri" in a UN speech and it sounded stupid

Arabic probably has a similar word

>Being this butthurt about your language
hebrew/yiddish both look like actual chicken scratch

To dally

They aren't even remotely similar though

I'll agree about Yiddish because it's just German which already sounds bad

Neat, I definitely can't think of just one word that conveys that. That seems strange because British people are often at great pain to avoid telling people that they should get to "takhles" (if that's the right way of saying it)

This

Saudade is ours now portukeks, how does this make you feel?

wow rude

does "to dally" imply movement though (especially walking)?

That is the right way!
Another nuance to it that I sort of forgot is that it can be used as a sort of "de facto de jure" thing, like

>Look, you aren't allowed to take pens from the office home, but Takhles no one will really stop you or anything

There is sort of an implication that the full version of what you say is either a white lie or some sort of formality, and the takhles is the truth.

Saudade literally just means "to miss something"
don't let alberto lie to you

btw fuck you kike

Shh, don't tell them that. Delete your post immediately.

ברזיל היא אחת הכלכלות הכי גדולות בעולם, והרבה מתייחסים אלייה כמעצמה בעתיד, אבל תכלס היא סתם מלאה בקופים

Uncertainty and Nostalgia/grief.

That's saudade. Nostalgia is a longing for past things. Grief is just sadness.

Saudade is a longing for something that's uncertain. You can be nostalgic of your childhood, but you can't feel saudade over it.

Saudade implies a possibility of returning.

It has "no translation" because other languages don't have a word for a concept that includes the two concepts of nostalgia and possibility.

sudenly "nono, it doesn't mean anything I swear"
the kike is right

nostalgia describes a specific emotion and that emotion contains a level of sadness. you don't need 3 words, just one works.

That's just a specific kind of nostalgia, though.

Not trying to troll, but if I felt this sort of emotion I would use the word nostalgia.

For example: I used to live in America for a few years. I feel nostalgic towards it, and want to live there again. I will most likely not get to live there again, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Yes. It's a specific kind of nostalgia. Just like rose is a specific kind of flower. Doesn't mean rose=flower.

Unless other languages have a word for this kind of nostalgia, saudade is a word that is not translatable.

I use "caluroso" in those situations
I guess french must have a similar word

Underrated post.

Fucking idiots trying to sell compound words as real words

Hasten? Be punctual?

Saudade = Wistfulness

Proof me wrong

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade
shit really doesn't translate, its so unique that we just use it in english. like schadenfreude

None of those mean "making it on time" though
In this context you could say "He made it on time to the theater play" or just "He made it to the theater play" but not "He hastened to the theater play" or "He was punctual to the theater play".

Try finding a good translation for the word "lagom"
Just try it bitches

You can say "He was punctual about arriving to the theatre", but that sounds dumb.

I am guessing the Finnish word also somewhat implies being just barely on time

Sufficient

Just did.
Wistfulness is just melancholic longing.
Nostalgia is melancholic longing for the past.
Saudade is a nelancholic longing for a past that is possible (though not likely) to return to.

Saudade is just specific nostalgia, nostalgia is just specific wistfulness, but they are not the same thing.