Have you guys seen this film? If yes, did you enjoy it?

Have you guys seen this film? If yes, did you enjoy it?
I personally loved every minute of it. I love horror films and I could say this is my favourite horror film ever (although I couldn't watch classics like The Shining when they came out because I was too young).

bump

I liked it, it was different and not to gory.
Based on texts of the Salem Trials and the beliefs of the time.
Never trusted the god damned goat

>never trusted the god damned goat

a true christian

muslims usually fall for goats

It was really good, It wasn't scary tho, just super unsettling. Haven't had a movie make me feel that uncomfortable in a while.

>wasn't gory
>mashes a baby in a bucket and rubs it all over herself

I believe this is years before Salem. Incredibly historically accurate film though. The sets, costumes, lenguage.. everything was planned really carefully
Depends on your deffinition of scary. Yes, it has no jumpscares. But it's atmosphere is creepier than any modern horror film. Pretty similar feeling to the Shining, in my opinion

>Depends on your deffinition of scary. Yes, it has no jumpscares. But it's atmosphere is creepier than any modern horror film. Pretty similar feeling to the Shining, in my opinion

fair enough

Yeah, and in the first 5 minutes of the film lol. But you don't actually see the bowels or anything, it's the "concept" of it that's gory, not graphically

a steaming pile of shit

Really? Why do you think that?

On a similar note, movies that truly scared me was Signs (destroyed me when I was young and still does), PA 1, 2,3 (concept got lame after the 3rd) and mama (It had some good moments, del toro is a great horror producer)

your probably one of those people who thinks movies like the conjuring is a good horror movie

I love Signs too. I don't find it really scary or disturbing though (except the found footage part, that was really creepy), but I think it's a beautiful film. The same goes for Mama, too family friendly to be disturbing (it has a similar vibe to The Witch though, very "fairy-taleish").
And I didn't care much about PA, even the first one. Pretty cheap jump-scare film in my opinion.

The really scary part of PA was that they never showed you what the demon looked like. So your imagination made it scary, im my case atleast. I'ts one of those movies that you have to put yourself in characters shoes

Was total shit in my opinion. Overhyped and overrated. Only part that was unsettling was with the crow. The trailer had to take flash clips of the movie to even make it look scary.

The only thing that's "accurate" in this movie is how crazy Pilgrims get at the thought of the Devil and how fast they point fingers. 6 year old children got accused by their parents ffs.

James Wan needs to quit.

I forgot about the baby...

Athiest

I'm actually a descendant of John Proctor.
Only man hung in Salem.

I get this. But I still think it lacks a lot of "substance". The tension is only build up by objects moving by themselves or people being pulled by something invisible. I think it has a really effective "shock factor" (or however you want to call it) but zero atmosphere or content.
When I got out the cinema I was exactly the same as when I got in (even though I have been startled a few times during the film). And I saw The Witch two days ago and I still feel disturbed by some of its scenes.

>I couldn't watch classics like The Shining when they came out
Who cares, The Shining is shit anyway.

Saw it yesterday! The setting is fucking cool, but it wasn't all that scary and never climaxed!

>and never climaxed!
did you?

I don't think he's a "real" (noteice the "") horror film maker. But I do think he's the best "jump-scare" film maker.
I think your issue with it is the expectations you had before watching it. You may have expected jumpscares and gore (like the majority of modern horror films). But this type of horror is more about the disturbing (not in a graphic way) and atmosphere building.

I climaxed afterwards in the shower

I loved it a lot.
It was not really freaky but a wonderfull atmosphere.

Too bad it was predictable.
When i saw black phillip i allready know all the movie...

But this voice, the voice of black phillip is ... Amazing. You can feel the devil whisper in your hear

I think horror is the genre that "expires" most rapidly. What we find creepy or disturbing nowadays is very different than 30 years ago. I think that we would find the Shining really disturbing if we had watched it when it came out.
Do you really feel that way? In my opinion the ending is incredible.
I understand why you say that about the goat, some of my friends said the same when leaving the cinema. But I don't think so: At first they make you think that, but as the movie progresses there are some shoots or scenes that make that idea of "the goat is the devil and is controlling the family" seem stupid, and product of the paranoia of the family. And at the end, I got really surprised that the goat responds to the girl's call

I didn't think it was scary at all tbh.
Cool story and stuff,
But it was more of a tragedy than horror movie

Dont forget tgat black phillip was talking with the childs

the ending was cool but I felt like it never led to anything, I wanted more!

It is never shown. And when the when the three siblings are locked in the shed, the girl asks the twins If the goat really talks and they don't answer and then there is a shoot at the goat that is pretty comical (people at the cinema laughed at this), as If this idea of the goat being Satan was crazy/stupid and product of the paranoia of the father.

Well, it does led to something (that's even shown in the poster of the film). The girl becomes a witch. I felt it was very tragic (it's the only thing she can do now, her whole family is dead, she even killed her mom), magic (those shots of the forest and the fire) and morbid (satan has won, he has transformed an innocent child to a witch).

It's a mediocre movie. This thread is viral advertising.

Aah i understand

I should watch it again

Why do you think it's mediocre?
And since when a thread in Sup Forums is "viral advertising"? lel

I should too. As soon as the 1080p torrent is out.

>Why do you think it's mediocre?
Because it wasn't very interesting or good.
>lel
Way to out yourself with anachronistic slang, paid poster.

Me and the wife went to the cinema to watch it. Fantastic film and it was good to get away from the usual blockbuster stuff that we go to see. Seriously disturbing shit. The soundtrack and direction worked brilliantly together.

I get some of you saying that it's "not scary", because it has no jump-scares. But not interesting? It really is interesting.
And doesn't "lel" mean "laughing ecstatically loud"?

I completely agree. Just downloaded the OST, it's incredible.

>It really is interesting.
That is your opinion, which is different than mine. Grow a brain.

Well you're right. But I think that the fact that's not the typical scary film we've been seeing this years makes it interesting If you like this genre.

It already is.

Fuck, it is. How come? It's been out for just 1 week, I never find the torrent of a film that fast

Shit, if Sup Forums approves, it has to be good. Sup Forums hates everything.

I have never fallen asleep in a movie before, and if I werent with another person laughing at this shit I would have fallen asleep. I didn't think it was horrifying or scary in any way. I was bored as shit the entire movie. We considered walking out and getting our money back but we decided to stay and finish it because we'd already committed an hour to it. The one thing the film does do right is capture the feeling of a shitty new england day, so good on them for that.

I think it depends of your expectations, as we've seen in this tread. Don't go expecting jumpscares.
You can expect a good film though