Can an American please explain college football to me...

Can an American please explain college football to me? Why does anyone care about a team of literally who students playing other teams of literally who students, why is it worth like $500 billion a year, and why do teams have their own stadiums with 100,000 people capacity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=irqM7BHhlKc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

football has been played at college level as long as it has at the pro level
college sports is a bonding activity for big university students and has been for a century+

School pride, plus the fact that the top college teams aren't literally whos, they're the next nfl talents, or a few are anyhow. Also, in many parts of the US, football is not comparable to a religion than a sport.

More comparable I mean

>football has been played at college level as long as it has at the pro level
It was played WAY before pro football was even a thing. Alabama fielded their first team in 1892. The first pro league wasn't until like the 20s or 30s.

Nigga the first college games were played around the civil war. Alongside baseball, college football is the most traditional American sport.

Because all those shithole small cities and irrelevant states have no other local culture or events to speak of.

this

Is Los Angeles a small city?

I find pro sports mostly boring and completely corporate. Unfortunately the NCAA is trying it's best to follow this model and ruin collegiate sports for everyone. Fucking jews man..

>Miami
>LA
>all of Texas
>small and irrelevant

College ball is popular all across America except for the northeast because their college teams are limited to Ivies and a bunch of literally who programs that suck cock.

I don't know, I can't explain it either.

If you're not a flyover without a pro team or are alumni there's zero reason you should care.

The on-field product is inferior and the wholesome amateur student-athlete thing old farts and traditionalists find appealing is a myth.

>Can an American please explain college football to me? Why does anyone care about a team of literally who students playing other teams of literally who students, why is it worth like $500 billion a year, and why do teams have their own stadiums with 100,000 people capacity?

Same reason why you Aussies care about State of Origin.

Pro football only became popular after the 1950s.

>you are a shut in NEET
>you will never go back to your alma mater and wear your class year sweater in the alumni section on a brisk October afternoon
>you will never share a nachos with your wife while you look down at the student section and remember days past
>ywn run into your fellow classmates wearing their sweaters and meet for drinks at the Inn on the Green after the Indians give Cornell another whipping
>you will never set a watch, lest the old traditions fail

Federalism my friend.

In the United States, amateur athletics are mostly regulated by the individual state. Major college sports, like football, are somewhat more mercenary now but they're still highly regional.

youtube.com/watch?v=irqM7BHhlKc

t. david kun the faggot

>worth like $500 billion
Do the players get any of this?

Culture. College Football existed a good 30-40 years before any professional league.

It's easy entertainment with mass appeal, and creates a sense of pride if your alma mater is winning games.

i think now they do. ncaa football got sued by someone for using likeness of college athletes and not paying them something

Is it like in Blue Mountain States, beer drugs and gurlz?

i get the appeal, if you study at the college its like youre kinda part of the team, you can go for free or cheap, hang out with your current dorm mates while there and chat up the girl in your class there. plus for the players its great because free college sluts.

i think it becomes kinda sad once youve finished the college or if you never even went to it though.

>its like youre kinda part of the team
No you're not, you just go to the same university as these people.

What the fuck do athletes study at university, what are they even doing there? If they're any good at 21 surely they would be in an nfl team?

theyre forced there. they make them play there. its kinda dumb but its the same with their footy players.

>What the fuck do athletes study at university, what are they even doing there?

I've never been there and I obviously have no insight in how it really works but an American friend told me once that a lot of of the top players don't actually "study" there, they officially do but get handwaved through classes and get special privileges for everything.

As I said, I don't know if that's true or if he's just salty that he wasn't part of a football team in college. Maybe there are any former college students here that can confirm or deny that.

It's true, at least for the players with NFL ambition.

You still have to maintain baseline GPA to meet eligibility, but to do so you just take bullshit classes.

You have to be out of high school for three years to meet NFL age requirements, so it is harder to maintain eligibility than if you're a basketball player aiming for the NBA which only requires one year out of high school that doesn't even have to be spent at a college.

The non-star players with none to little hope of making it will take it more seriously.

Pretty much true for ALL college football players, not just the top ones. The only exception are those with hardcore majors like mechanical engineering or (some) elite universities like Harvard or Rice.

It's an ongoing issue, but people honestly don't give a crap because this is the only way most of them could ever get a college education.

College football has a long and storied tradition in America, especially the South. People feel connected to their local universities, even if they never attended them the influence of colleges on a community is substantial. The rivalries around college football play a large part also. Michigan vs. Ohio may very well be the closest thing to an actual war between those two states for example. NFL teams are not bound to their local communities in contrast and the tradition for many teams just isn't there.

Also, the first game of football played was Princeton vs. Rutgers. For a long time, baseball was the national professional sport and football was the national amateur sport

stung

Euros tend to make fun of franchises and stuff we have in pro sports. College ball is more like having a hometown club.

>cheering for your alma mater is kinda sad

fuck off. It's only sad if you cheer for a school you never attended.

The reason we don't have NCAA games by EA anymore.

>huh what u mean mah boy laquarius don't get nothin fo bein in dat playtendo game
>aside fromma free collige education
>you racis, you 'sploitin mah baby, gibsme moneys white man!

99% of it is just stupid rednecks who didn't even go to college in the first place

>there are people here who's college or alma mater don't have an elite program

Why even go to college?

sounds shit