Uhh, why did we reach a semi-final of a legendary soccer tournament when soccer is the 12th most popular sport here?

Uhh, why did we reach a semi-final of a legendary soccer tournament when soccer is the 12th most popular sport here?

What did we mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_United_States
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>legendary soccer tournament

Don't fall for the South American memes.

Dont worry my friend Columbia is going to kick your ass soon and then u dont have to watch :)

>legendary

>300 mil people
>tonnes of free time and opportunities for kids to train and play professionally
>suprised you won over some 3rd world shitholes

>when soccer is the 12th most popular sport here
sure it is

Right behind... curling?

>legendary
>beat Costa Rica, Paraguay and Ecuador to get there
No

>legendary

Curling is pretty based. Probably the most chill of sports.

Because South Americans are shit at football. There's a reason the last 3 world cup winners have been European, as well as 5 of the last 6 finalists.

Good luck though hope you win it xxx

>legendary

Football (soccer) is pretty much tied with hockey as the fourth most popular sport in the USA, and you have a population of 320 million. On top of that, you lost against the only decent team you faced.

>you lost against the only decent team you faced

Literally every british football team.

Sure lad, didn't mean to insult you. Just stating my opinion.

>not winning the top trophy of two soccer confederations
Let me know when you win it and actually become an elite sporting nation and then we can talk

Englel wouldn't even have a chance of advancing past the group stages in Copa America with no baby Wales or Russia to beat up on or tie with.

What compared to mighty Paraguay?

NO ERA PENAL

>Peru
>Costa Rica
>Paragay

>tonnes of free time and opportunities for kids to train and play professionally

???????????

Kids here have their sporting attention divided between many sports.

Costa Rica and Ecuador are better than Russia. Probably even with Wales.

>Football (soccer) is pretty much tied with hockey as the fourth most popular sport in the USA

lol no

> Pura Vida 1.
> Englel out

Mexico SOON

Actually soccer is more popular than hockey.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_United_States

Also, more people play soccer than football (13.6 million compared to 8.9 million)

>legendary soccer tournament

ecudaor are fucking shite

Had you replaced Paraguay in that group, the results when have ended up the exact same with England finishing last. Lest you forget that Costa Rica already proved it's a better team than Englel when they cucked your group in the last WC.

he's exaggerating it's the fifth most popular sport, if we are going by professional league tv ratings.

>Peru
>beats Brazil, takes group
>Costa Rica
>beats England in wc

At some point you're going to have to admit the gap between us and the rest of you is much smaller than you'd like to admit

Maybe now, sure, but not when the current gen of players was growing up

They're ranked 13th in the world according to official FIFA rankings, and they're currently second in CONMEBOL's World Cup qualifiers.

If we beat Argentina, you'll no doubt start pretending like they were never a good team either.

*sigh*, trying to reason with ABUSA's is such cumbersome affair

1. Eating Cheeseburgers
2. Cuckoldry
3. Handegg
4. Monster Truck Racing
5. Noghoop
6. Mass murder
7. Baseball
8. Gay Pride Parades
9. NASCAR
10. Ice Hockey
11. ?????????
12. Soccer

To be fair USA has an infrastructure that most third world countries can't even dream off. The difference is pretty bad, most schools there don't even have a football field (or any field).

>mostly kids in school

That only tells you our public schools don't fork over money for hockey equipment, and that girls are not allowed. The same table shows hockey winning in ratings, not hard to believe since the NHL is not stuck on a meme cable channel.

and austria are tenth. your point was?

argentina are genuinely useful. which is why you will reverse the bus in front of goal and lose 1 or 2 nil with 30% possession.

Except we don't really have professional youth academies like you see in other countries

>draw Russia
>struggle to beat Wales
Not doing much better are you lad

>final of
nobody cares about that "legendary soccer tournament"

They're not though. On the same tier as us, notch below the top teams. Good enough to get out of a World Cup group, but ultimately lose in the Ro16. If Switzerland didn't score that ridiculous 93rd minute goal in Brazil, they finish second in their group.

Dunga shouldn't you focus on finding a new job

meme magic
America are pants on paper but know how to do it on th big occasions

We meant what we always mean: that were the greatest country in the world even in shit we don't care about.

>canada in charge of understanding how brackets work
>colombia
Curling is based as fuck fag.

ayyyy lmao

But we do, they are shit but we do have them.

Even if you believe FIFA rankings are mostly bullshit (Which they are), you still completely ignored the fact that they're SECOND in World Cup qualifying in Conmebol, ahead of such teams as Argentina, Chile, Brazil, and Columbia.

Ecuador is a good team. Easily better than England.

>There's a reason the last 3 world cup winners have been European, as well as 5 of the last 6 finalists
He's just exaggerating, that doesn't means nothing. To short period to see anything. Watching the matches you can see that obviously SA is still doing great.

> Also doen't means nothing. Tradition is more important, otherwise european countries would just disappear from the tournaments.

>NO ERA PENAL
kek

> it's the fifth most popular sport,
I believe that, to become good in football is a slow and long work for a country. And yet americans have acquired good results last years. Probably you guys'll have some performance drops by the ways, but you can't let that dishearten you.

>FIFA rankings
Fifa ranking is shit

>If we beat Argentina, you'll no doubt start pretending like they were never a good team either.
Believe me: If you beat Argentina at this poing it just means that they don't care enough about the tournament to build a good team for it. The only focus of the old world champions is the WC.

rekt

how can one country be so based

We consistently make RO16 in World Cups, our team isn't literal shit it's just mediocre and underwhelming for a country of our size so it's not crazy that we're doing well in this smaller tournament

>The only focus of the old world champions is the WC.
I don't really believe that. With Brazil out, it would be pretty embarrassing for Argentina to not win this. Also, for messi individually, he should want all the silverware he can get because Argentina probably will not make it to another wc final during his career.

what sports do americans play with their friends? when you don't have a specific field or equipment, football seems to be the most natural thing to do

No curling fags are all huge hipsters

t. Worked at a ice rink that offered curling in college

>2 years ago

Are you colonials familar with the concept of what we civilised people in Europe like to call 'the passage of time'?

backyard gridiron football with no pads

>americans
>sports

When did costa rica beat us in the world cup m8?

Copa America? legendary?

I think that Argentina is coming stronger in the next WC, their success in the last one gave a boost in their energy.

> pretty embarrassing
The importance of this tournament for the US is to slowly gain altitude in the world of football. Therefore, everything they can win will be the highest point of their history.
But for the old champions, most of us have great club level championships where we can exercise our qualities. So the copa america doesn't even fit that need for us once you have so much weak teams like peru, usa, ecuador, venezuela...
A defeat on these tournaments only turns on lights of warning about something going wrong. Argentina would just become more watchful about their football to avoid such downslope like Brazil.
Clearly, we're just picturing that. Argentina will do great probably though!

p.s.: but in football "probably" and statistics doesn't means much.

>legendary
>copa america

pick one

any of those teams competing against european teams/in a european competition would get BTFO

see the world cup

Hey, guy whose team is in last place in its group

>copa america
>legendary

maybe legendary in its irrelevancy

The world cup where Argentina beat you guys?

beat us 1-0 and lost to germany?

this euro has been so shit and inferior, that the amerifat thought that if eurocup is legendary, this memerica cup may as well be too.

NASCAR should be at least as high as Cuckoldry

Amerifats love turning left

mexishit wouldn't even qualify for the euros

>52 euro teams
>10 conmebol teams
> euroteams have just one more world cup
Not impressed

Lmao you're just trying to make excuses for Brazil's shit play.

Brazil lost because they're a shit team outside of one legit good player who wasn't here for this tournament. Not because they didn't care.

This wasn't a fluke result for Brazil, and that will become very apparent soon enough. They'll obviously get a slight bump when Neymar's playing, but this is probably one of the least talented Brazil teams of all time even with Neymar.

yeah! bc european teams are greater than the south american ones we reach the finals in the last wc! thanks belgium especially for the 1-0 in 2014

Remember that time you made it to the quarterfinals although you weren't playing home?

Yeah, me neither.

O N E P O I N T
N
E

P
O
I
N
T

How many of those world cups did mexico get m8?

tbf you are the only good south american team

Ok, then. I'm just being rational, but If you are happy thinking like that then I'm happy about you. :)

You got a point there mate

Actually we have four.

Mexico isnt even conmebol my muhamed friend.
Also is not that what we are discussing.

>englel
>criticizing other football national teams

4 points you bellend

We're not discussing world cups?

How about discussing quarter- and semifinals of the WC?

Englel you're fucking shit tbqh.
You barely held a draw to Wales....fucking Wales! Is that some sort of accomplishment?

>offside goal

Of course now you do, there is no costa rica or uruguay to get on your way. just pure euro shit teams.

Who the fuck are you?

>Not knowing the rules of football

Tbf to get the semis and not knowing how the game works is pretty impressive lad

>next week
>w-we dont care about this semen slupring sport

>1-7

Colombia

>pure euro shit teams.
>Euro 'shit' teams have held the world cup for 14 years

I feel like you didn't watch the match. Wales parked the bus for the entire match, England's strategy is based on counter chances but since they weren't attcking then we couldn't utilise it. That said: #WoyOut

>England calling other teams shit

Your national team is absolute garbage, they have accomplished nothing

>B-b-but we won the World Cup in 1966

It doesn't mean anything, nowadays even the weakest Brazilian or Argentine teams would destroy England's best squad

>brazil

also
>this usa could beat england meme

>winning the world cup doesn't mean anything

What are you basing any of your argument on then lad?

Decent team, many of which were developed in Europe
Decent manager
Reletively easy route
Its not rocket science

Don't have to be an artist to be a critic mes amie

I'm starting to think that all americans are just crazy.