Hey Sup Forums why do you use Gnu/Linux or why you don' t

Hey Sup Forums why do you use Gnu/Linux or why you don' t

I’m using Ubuntu Gnu/Linux, because it’s free (both like ‘free’ beer and ‘free’ in freedom). It’s also stable, Unity interface is beautiful and it’s secure I think.

i use fedora with KDE, because it runs great on my laptop and i like *nix

>ubanto
>secure
lel no, not out of the box at least

Im a ''free'' software user too but im the only one that is interested in those stuff

Or just use Windows 10, it is more secure, runs better than Linux and also has better privacy options.

I use Jessie Stable with a Gnome 3 Desktop. Sometimes it eats my Resources

Ofcourse yeah Windows 10 is always good to use It was Eddies snowden Favorite Desktop OS

>double checked
It is also Bil Gate favorite OS

You mean Richard Stallman?

try fluxbox as de

Yeah and Geert Wilders

its weer een nederlander hoor

Whereschijnlijk je collega

>newfag

i dont like monopolies (like microsoft has or had). i d always prefer the alternative, if it would comply with my needs.
Linux does it for me. In fact it has deeply increased my knowledge about hard- and software. (It also encouraged me to learn the basics about programming.) I like that there is so much to explore (distros/ desktop environments/ software (repos) etc. And i feel like i have full control over my operating system.

Never going back to Windows. Never. ;)

>Truth has been spoken
Cool What Distro u use?

lubuntu 16.04. lts atm. (linux user for 2 years now. sometimes still feel like a newbie)
my first one was Mint (very nice) and i had crunchbang (also debian derived) for a few weeks. But it is a dying distro.
Manjaro with lxde on a secondary machine and
an arch with lxde in an vbirtualbox (not really configuered yet.)
My next pc shall be powered by an arch or arch derived os with lx-qt or another minimalistic DE.

How about you?

>using windows all my life
>no point big enough to switch to linux
if you add the fact that linux distros are free i woude change in a hart beet but since windows is so easily pirated there really is no point

Linux does not ads in start menu.
Linux does not decepticon practices to force upgradestp user.
Linux does not registry.
Linux allow user upgrade hardware than OS X

Cool :D
Debian Jessie Stable with a gnome 3 Desktop environment(that is eating my resource). I started 10 years ago with ubuntu and when devolped m self i used debian as a main OS

I would never trust "crack" "modifid" Software that u can not see what is changed about it.

Good One:D

>this
Also seriously considering trying linux out when I'm done with college, I need windows for some programs.

WEE OOO WEE OOO
NERD ALERT!
>ATTENTION
>ALL NERDS GET IN HERE RIGHT MEOW!

Archlinux with i3, because it is awesome to work with

>summerfag

>hart beet

Slik Desktop

I run MS Office on linux which software u need tho?

>but not teh summer you're thinking of

Not really a desktop env. just a window manager

Which one?

i3wm

My OS needs to do what I want not what some other company (microsoft/apple) wants

mint/ubuntu with mate

unity is for retards

Linux is exactly what you need. Free Software, free to use free to customize free to contribute free to copy

i use neither because i'm not a disgusting neckbeard

Mateyyy is awesome. But in love with gnome

And it is really addictive, when you first learn to use it

well it works dont see why you woudent trust it what kind of sinister things can possibly be happening in the background?

Using lubuntu, because I like it minimalistic and functional. Gets the job done, and if some day I want to upgrade the computer, I know that swapping over the hard disk should just work with no activation BS.

Ive problems when i watch a video my CPU goes to 90-100% with gnome 3

True thats right No Leases(License) no bullshit

Freebsd

Why tho?

been using *buntu/debian as main for a couple of years now.

anything direct x related audio/video editing software thats not linux compatible... theres shitload of software not supported on linux

Windows 10 is as free as Linux. Upgraded last night. Cost to me: nothing.

I use Archlinux because I like computers and I like working with computers.

Right now, for some reason, NetworkManager seems to delete /etc/resolv.conf and replace it with a dead symlink on boot, good thing I know how to write a resolv.conf file and know my dns servers ip by heart (just a dnsmasq running on another box in the house), oh the joy.

*nix for desktop is for fags. for server its just lovely

Nice Gwyndolin background. Can you upload it pls?

I'm installing Gentoo this weekend, currently using Mint

IT cost ur freedome
R.I.P 685976287 05/24/16

check for hardware acc. in the settings of what ever video player you uses.

Gentoo ? l33t userr!

VLC

freedom in digital sense is so overrated tho

I wanted to use it so that I could have functionality without having to use shitty microsoft or apple os, but I don't use it because I was too stupid to properly set it up. Tried to use Arch with a Cinnamon gui

I have a business and all my employees are luddite grandmas. I want to remove windows from all the computers and replace it with Ubuntu because they're all idiots when it comes to downloading malware and shit.

win 10 is shit its very agressive in its updates, including the one to get it in the first place (wich bricks you pc if you have linux installed too btw because it messes with the grub menue). also you upload the newest updates to others unless you specifically disable it.

>Windows 10 is as free as LInux. Upgraded last night. Cost to me: nothing.

the first one is always free.

Can't remember precisely how, but you should be able to find it by google vlc hardware acceleration ( and/or ) vlc 100% CPU usage

No not at all, I'm just curious as to what it is and how difficult it is to do

I got tired of having to pirate EVERY fucking program in windows every week to keep it updated.
Spending $300 for basic level operating system,is retarded

Build a system of ur needs is a nice project

Am I late?

>I'd just like to interject for a moment

Running 3 servers on multiple Xenon e5 each using Debian.
For desktop openSuse, Debian, centOS and Fedora

>i3wm
>And it is really addictive, when you first learn to use it
i tested it with manjaro in a virtualbox. it looked just awesome, but it also felt like it needed a long time to get used to it.
possibly the most minimalistic approach to use a mere window manager for the graphical user interaction. (crunchbang utilized openbox's "right mouse button menu" to launch applications, open files etc.. very smooth solution in my opinion.)

doesn't matter, you're still cancer and probably underage

Lubuntu because latest 16.04 is rather nice.

Have used Funtoo/Gentoo and don;t feel like fine-tuning this system just yet but probably will.

I use kali on my laptop too much of a hassle if I change os on my pc

i've been trying to configure manjaro so i can move over to it, but the kde display scaling has no effect, and my laptop is 4k so the experience is unusable
the only things really tethering me to windows at this point are a few games that are not linux compatible and my razer device drivers

Well there is a steep learning curve, but i3wm
is one of the more forgiving wm's out there, I think. You just have to use it for a week or so

I'm actually one of the few that never had a archlinux installation that blew up after an update haha... But yea it's kinda bound to happen at some point

>I wanted to use it so that I could have functionality without having to use shitty microsoft or apple os, but I don't use it because I was too stupid to properly set it up. Tried to use Arch with a Cinnamon gui
if that was your first encounter with linux and if one day u might give it another try, i highly recommend somethin preconfigured (and with a strong Community for wiki, chat and forums) like Ubuntu, Mint etc.

Debian Testing user here
GNU/Linux has pretty good dev tools out of the box. I switched to Linux because windows randomly disconnected from my home wifi.

YOOO Debian Master Race!

Best reason ever

True story m8

iktf

here you go fam

I use Linux and z/OS everyday in work OP.

At home I use Windows because I've had enough of that shit by the time I get back

i run linux because my computers old as shit

I am using arch with KDE as GUI and i am using it because of that sweet "user register" as in pacmanager that gives me all the shit i need

Feels

have you tried turning it off and turning it on again

I loved KDE with there own KDE applications. But they are to classic. But works great togethers

>tfw still using pentium

Because it's cancer free.

STOPPP let me

This is bait right user?

I run linux because windows is garbage for hacking

But you are a fruity apple fag

What's this gnu/ stuff? I'm down with open source, can I say that I use gnu
/Windows 10?

No
> GNU/STFU
> GNU/fag

Also since you have to be more than able to watch a youtube video to install arch the comunity is very healthy and all the forums can give you solutions very fast. Also I am using a script in my school that establishes more than 1 connection when using a download link (e.g 1000) which lets me use nearly all of the 100Mbit connection of my school. If someone asks me why the wifi is low as fuck, or why they timeout, i just point at my shell and say i need that 70 Mbit bro

I run debian with lxde because my laptop is an old crap. I bought another laptop and overheated due to planned obsolescence, this old computer just works fine. I've been using windows all my life and im happy with linux this year, i have more freedom because its free software, its fast and get the shit done.

The only thing that i dont like is that it doesnt tell you when your hard disk is almost full. when its full you cant startx, just delete files with command line.

And logs keep getting bigger, i don't know how to remove them automatically and im too lazy to make an script or something.