Ok Sup Forums, tell me about the mysterious city of porto. What is it like there? Is it any good...

Ok Sup Forums, tell me about the mysterious city of porto. What is it like there? Is it any good? How are the people compared to the rest of portugal?

Other urls found in this thread:

resendedias.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/ele-era-do-mar/
youtube.com/watch?v=4LGl-dgt1ps
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's okay. It's getting too big, and starting to show symptoms of it.

People in Lisbon think that Portugal is just Lisbon, people in Porto are starting to think that North Portugal is just Porto. Nowhere near at the same annoyance level, but still. At least they aren't as rude.

Great city. Great food and people.

It's were i live atm, but im from a small village of Minho, if you are diaspora please come back if not fuck off we are full.
What is the people like compared to the rest of Portugal? Actual Portuguese in the real seance of the word since we are the ones that "colonize" the rest of country after reconquista.

link is an amateur singer (my grandmother) with a alias .resendedias.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/ele-era-do-mar/

If you want to see average people is pic related

Actually, I have been there during a holiday trip. It's really nice, beautiful bridges and amazing seafood and really cheap. I wish I could afford to go there when I'm old, to live there the rest of my life.

That's exactly how i feel, but i have to work in Belgium 4 months and 7 months as a fishermen just to make 25keuros per month, just so my gf can study in college and give a proper live to my 3 year old. Is not easy being Portuguese never think it is

Oh pls, stop the "muh whiteness" meme, children are always lighter pigmented.
We get it you're not quarter-negroid Maghrebis and nobody who has half a clue about Yurop thinks that unless they're memeing, but even here I'd say (adult) light brown is most common hair and blue eyes are minority (compared to green and light brown), so I seriously doubt it's any higher that far South

Yes they are
Both portofaggots and lisboniggers act like they own the place when they come to Algarve
And then every summer you hear about fights between those idiots and the locals in nightclubs

It's memeing Brudi. I for my part havn't seen much brown people in Portugal or Spain desu

Of course not (assuming brown people = actual Arabs with inflated lips, flared noses and frizzy hair), but they still are Southern Euros, therefore >90% brown-eyed and -haired

Im not talking about hair colour ofc we have mostly dark hair, im talking as you said about skin pigmentation . we have dark hair and light brown eyes . atleast 90%
hair, but she worked as fish seller

>hair, but she worked as fish seller
dont mind this, im tired sorry

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, you of course don't have the Negroid features I mentioned here

>atleast 90% hair
Ah, the good old Portuguese female moustache.

Portuguese with north African ancestor's are all over the place, but properly labeled , as mostly will be named the following names : Moura, Mourao, Oliveira (not always true in this one),Coelho, amaro etc.

Its easy to know who the "new Christians" but the public shaming was banned under the good Marques de Pombal

Foi um erro.
Cria dizer 90% cabelo preto.
Ia dizer que no link que postei da musica da minha avo, vez portugueses normais que trabalhavam na pesca e estavam expostos ao sol 24/7

Not true, though. Since names only come by the father, you can have a 50% nigger without that name, and a 1% nigger with it.

Also, the new christians name is a meme. Up until the 50's, rural areas people didn't have surnames either, and they were the most christian of all.

I know mate, I'm just ribbing.

I dont mean it has bulletproof way, but never the less a obvious way, just because it has flaw's does not mean it is not true.
And my family name is Romano explain me that please

Well, you waz romans n shiet.

But the name thing is a meme. It happened to everyone, not just the jews and niggers. I know a dude named "Porta" (not Portas) because his great-grandfather had a double door in his village house, and they needed a way to differentiate between different Manueis.

Up until the 30's or so people were called "do/da " as in Manuel do Rodrigo or something like that.

Exactly my gf name is Braga, and my father side is Magalhães because hes family lived around torre de Magalhães, like i said i know is very subjective but family names do provide information about the family origin

Yeah, but it doesn't mistake "peasant" for "slave" in any way. If you were noble you'd know.

You have blonds though right? Is there a history behind them or are they just natives who managed to slip by?

Yeas i know.
Im not trying to glorify my bloodline in anyway, but to show is completely average .
In fact i know my family were peasants

Blondism exists naturally at a low frequency in Southern Europe. Blond Portuguese are a minority but they exist, and the fact that they're blond isn't necessarily indicative of any foreign ancestry. They would probably be average Portuguese, genotypically.

The mutation still occurred. We have some Celtic and Germanic blood. We have thin faces with long noses and deep eyes (semitic blood helped too), as opposed to completely flat cheeks like the Anglos or Chinks.

It's just that we're further away from Finland (where it started,I think) for it to occur as often. I'd put it at 10% overall, but it's usually dirty blonds, not white hair.

Hazel eyes are a lot more common ~20%, and so are blues. At least, nobody bats an eye if you have blue eyes.

I have a theory .
My gh is light brown, and mi daughter (pic posted above) in less degree also has it. And the family name of my gh is Braga were the suebi made they're capital so she is probably a legit descendant of a rape

It's also not uncommon for people to be born blond and get dark hair by 10, like I did.

I also have ginger beard highlights and green eyes, and that's fairly common as well.

>My gh is light brown
My gf also has light brown hair *

what is wrong with me today

>what's wrong with me
>today
glug glug

yea this makes much more sense, but we did had naturally migration of other Europeans into the peninsula

There are also numerous names which have been thoroughly misidentified as converso names. My name is like this and it pisses me off.

Swabians are amongst the darkest Germans though, it's probably more likely that light pigmentation is either a native mutation, an older migration, or a Gothic relic

t. Pereira

speaking off, both Alberto and Barbosa are germanic names, kek.

You got me, i just had a few during dinner.
I do like shitposting

keep the pic, it trigger the frogs.

Yes, I am U106 myself (family is from Braga and Madeira). Nonetheless, my eyes are amber and my hair dark brown.

You have to remember that the Suebi constituted ~30,000-45,000 at a time when the population of Iberia was around 4 million. It is not possible that they would have left a significant genetic footprint and the genetic surveys of Portugal mostly confirm this.

No, I'm not a Pereira. My name starts with Vas - I'm sure you can figure it out. But Pereira is an excellent example of Portuguese noble names being misidentified as Jewish.

Vasco?
Vasconecelos?

We exist yes.

Not common. But not rare.

My hair is like pic related.

I do have a very Portuguese face though, even though my nose is quite..arhm.. "strong".

Yes. I wish you didn't post it though desu. My fault, I guess.

It's a really nice city with a lot of sightseeing and places to visit, I don't know how the average life is because I haven't visited in awhile. It also has that pleasant northern portuguese climate. FC Porto fans are fags tho

It's a bit over-hyped here, but if you're american you have to try the Francesinha. You yanks usually like it, and Porto is the place for them.

Do try other things, though.

Gotta get myself tested too some time, but I hate the Jewish business practice of 23andme to charge $100 just for shipping from/to Yurop on top of the $100 for the test itself
Y-DNA wise, it's very likely for me to end up "Celtic" U152 based on geography (left of Rhine where it makes the bend), but if I could choose, C-V20 would be the coolest as it's the oldest European one and would nicely complement muh Cro-Magnon pheno

As if it matters. Tbh I like brown girls actually, especially the ones from there. Probably you wouldn't say no, if one finds you attractive.

Why is it that Portuguese threads are genuinely the most interesting on Sup Forums? They never devolve into shitposting, and the OP always gets helpful replies.

Already saved it, keked
pic related

Oh that's even harmless compared to my region, best friend's grandpa had a 1 litre bottle or more per day, he died a few years ago, aged 92. Wine (mixed with sparkling water) is by far the most common pub drink here too, so I'd love to see a map like that broken to county level

The presence of the Nortenhos insures a quiet thread with good discussion every time.

We just bombard you with Francesinhas.

Yes, it was quite expensive for me also even though I bought it on sale ($160 USD, including shipping).

Myself, I didn't really have any expectations when I ordered it. I sort of assumed that I'd be R1b and mostly Iberian and British but that's about it.

>they never devolve into shitposting
Not completely true, but sure. I've seen a couple of nice digs/shitposting on non-Portugal threads by Portuguese, though.

We're genuinely pretty calm and civilised, oddly enough.

I feel like we also try to keep a good impression, since we're easy to get bunched up with Brazilian and/or Spanish stereotypes, which we're very different from, to be frank.

That and we like the attention, tbf. We often feel forgotten in the international stage that we try to imprint our stuff and make a good impression when we have the chance, which also ends up in the WE WUZ memes we keep posting/getting posted about.

At least that's what I think.

>1 litre bottle or more per day
That's about the par for the course for every old geezer around here.

There's even a meme food called "tired horse soup" that's wine, bread, honey and cinamon that old cunts eat in the morning to kick-start their dusty system and go to work on the field. It doesn't even taste good, desu. Not to mention putting liquor in their morning coffee and drinking one bottle of wine across lunch and dinner on any regular week day.

AHAHAHAHAHA.

Holy shit that is glorious. Missing some

>muh celts
>muh suebi

But beyond that it's perfect.

As a minhoto 9/10.

>British and Iberian

If it's Western Iberian than you must be one of these two.

Yeah, we got something similar but mostly dying out, my grandma used to make bread+wine soup too (with white wine though), of course was only for the adults

Havia um tipo no /luso/ que os fazia, mas não sei se ainda anda por cá

Eu fiz um de Coimbra, mas não tenho neste PC.

Tenho de o editar para acrescentar um vinho da Bairrada e uns enchidos de Arganil.

Almost. I'm Paleoatlantid, apparently.

And, yes, Western Iberian. My father is Portuguese.

Obrigado user's. I love Portugal, I even started learning the language, but it's sort of fallen by the wayside.

I'm probably going to Brazil next year though, so it will give me some incentive to learn it. Hopefully next time I'm in the UK I can manage to visit o melhor pais.

Weird. We literally couldn't be further away from NZ.

Está incrivel, posta mais.

> Paleoatlantid

Damn I searched google and it looks scary as fuck.

Due come visit. I've met plenty of people in Erasmus but I never really met a Kiwi.

Also try and learn European Portuguese if you come here.

A- It sounds better (bias I know)
B-Girls will go crazy for it (Brazillian accent usually drives them away here)

Oh hey, that's the one I made! Add some Chouriços de Arganil on the wall if you can. It's too student-y and not enough about the region as a whole, which is a shame.

Maybe missing a leitão da bairrada, but there's no good way to put it.

Damn.

Brilliant.

Yes, but Portugal is close to my heart.

I've heard you guys are friendly to foreigners. We're a bit like Australians but more reserved.

Yes and I'll try and avoid the você. Honestly any foreigner speaking Portuguese isn't going to get either accent right though.

We use você, but only sometimes.

Kinda weird to explain.

Out of curiosity, what makes you like Portugal so much?

We don't mind the accent as long as the grammar constructions are right. It's honestly good enough you don't say "gracias". English will do you fine as well.

I've stopped using você altogether. Either "tu" for informal/work (even with my superiors, which was odd at first, but it removes so much faffing around) or "o senhor" for people I don't know/professors.

Diasporafag?

It's hard to explain. I started learning Portuguese on a whim, but then grew to love the culture. I can relate to your melancholy more than to the typical Southern European culture.

Also your imperial history is really underrated. You ruled the Oceans before Britain did.I was in Macau two years ago, and I loved seeing your architecture. There's so many traces of the old empire you've left across the world.

HUEHUHEUE LONGA VIDA O REI DO BUNDA

Literally me on all of those

You're a weird dude. Here we go telling people we wuz and how everyone else wuzn't, and then there's a redpilled guy who believes it all, but we don't know what to do with you.

This must be what a dog feels like when he catches the mailman's van.

Teach me the ways of the tuga user. I will be your disciple. We will catch cod and drink Port, while reminiscing about the past.

For bonus meme purposes here's some feijoada I made.

Well thanks.
Made me fell kinda happy.

Problem with Portugal is that we are dying in a way.

We have no culture left to young people. All Americanized.

Lisbon has become such a hot spot of African and Brazillian culture that is kinda disgusting.

Hip-Hop is the norm for kids these days.

We're too centralized honestly.

Coimbra, Porto, Braga, Guimarães. That's the real Portugal left.

Ever since I was treated as foreigner in Lisbon (they thought I was tourist from somewhere in Northern Europe) I've grown a dislike for Portugal unfortunately.

>Hip-Hop
No one listen to that

Wrong.

This is trending in Youtube Portugal right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=4LGl-dgt1ps

Some Lisbon Moor singing complaining about "sirens" and that he doesn't want that for her mulato daughter.lmao.

Reconquista do Lisboa AGORA

I kind of feel your pain. We're an Anglo country so we're even more Americanized than any European country, but we never really had our own identity. Maybe if you knew some locals in Lisbon you might be able to find the Portuguese heart of the city.

Auckland is the same here. Every big city becomes globalized and feels "less local"

That is why dislike Globalism honestly.

Every city looks the same.

Plus mass immigration ruins cities. Visiting Paris last year was dreadful, never returning there.

But hey a foreigner interested in our culture, that's a plus.

Stop complaining about the problem of every european country.Paris,London,Rome are hotspots for foreign culture aswell

>drink Port
That's not even that Portuguese a habit. It was made to sell to the Brits. We usually just drink the local shizz, desu.

Saudade is a bit of a meme except in special occasions like Fado (proper Coimbra fado, not sissy Lisbon fado). We're just stoic most of the time, I'd say.

Bacalhau is true, but you need a mother/grandmother to cook it for you and teach you.

That's not to say we don't do either, but doing it all would be tryhard, and we don't usually like tryhards (see stoicism above).

I guess emigration is the Portuguese thing, which you could do whilst being in Portugal.
The real thing you have to do to be Portuguese is to solve problems on the fly, as slyly as you can.

Looks pretty good, but a couple pointers:
Don't use green beans.
Use a bit more cabbage.
Use Bay leaves if you have access to them.
Cook the rice separately and place it separately. Each fork scoop should bring the sauce and beans together with the rice.

Also, proper feijoada has the magical property of tasting even better the next day when re-heated, so you'll know when you've done it right. It must condense or precipitate something chemical or something. It's fucking magic.

It's also nice to have a pretty well defined quarantine. If only they didn't rule everything else and stole all the money, though.

Yes they suffer from the same problems.

Honestly Portugal for me ends at Coimbra pretty much.

A- The people of Lisbon don't look like me, my friends, or my family.
B-Their culture seems so.. different, even if it's what sells to the rest of Europe.
C-They clearly have a different view of themselves that we do not have.

Thanks for the pointers user. I've heard about the "desenrascar" attitude.That's kind of similar to New Zealand culture.

Yeah I don't think my Feijoada was very authentic. The bean thing was just a side dish though.

> Tfw there are no Portuguese restaurants in my city :(

I don't honestly think that desenrascanço is unique to us, but it is a requirement nontheless.

Stay strong, Kiwi. Portuguese food isn't too complex to make until you get into pastries.

Try Caldo Verde for a start, or maybe Migas (can you tell that it's kale season?). The big Portuguese dishes are fine, but are mostly celebratory and require some effort to cook, and you can't trust bacalhau that far away from us. Try simple stuff that we eat every day that isn't that showy but it's still delicious.

Good olive oil is a must, though.

Thanks user, it's been good chatting with you tugas. I have a bunch of Portuguese recipes I've been wanting to try. People here love the Frango de Churrasco though, like the Brits.

>portuguese people can pay only 3 for a bottle of dom jose Tawny

it's not fair...

Frango de Churrasco is pretty based, but also something we buy made in churrascarias. Almost nobody cooks their own. It's a summer Saturday lunch with the family sort of thing.

It's almost criminal, desu. Being overlooked on the international stage is pretty underrated. We enjoy a lot from having a former rich yet mostly unknown country in the way of food and peace.

I mean, fuck off, we're full!

>I mean, fuck off, we're full!

Never even planned to move there, at best I'd like to visit it to prove your wines at a cheap price.

I fairly believe Portugal makes much better wines than Italy and France, at least to my tastes.... and wallet.

God damn it if only your wines weren't so expensive here.

Imagine a whole Brazil drinking from Portugal at cheap prices?

We'd have none left. We have to mark it up because we simply can't keep up with the demand. Only here we have enough competition to make them all cheap.

yeah but you guys are really jewing it up

>Valdouro Ruby at 90 bucks here...

I mean sure charge a bit more but no need to be so greedy about it!

Oh, I thought you had like 15€ wines or something. That's fucked up, desu.

;(

I'm planning to do my Masters in porto, just got my citizenship. My Grampa lived in vila real before getting here, too bad i have the Br accent.

>tfw winegrowers in family
>tfw they have to sell the cheapest wines that are still officially "quality wine" for €0.40/litre
Kinda makes me feel conflicted. On the one hand sad they can't get more because the market is saturated and our reputation is still somewhat tainted by the Liebfraumlich scandal that went through a whole stretch of the 20th century, on the other hand happy for cheap booze! (I'll leave a €5 note, sometimes €10 if it's just been payday after pulling a 5 litre jug from the barrel)

Post face

It's beautiful, I've been there this september for 3 days and I loved everything about it, the morning fog made me fall in love with it.

I love Portugal and it's probably one of my absolute favorite nations, and Porto is the city I liked the most.

4 days*

Our cities do look pretty good at night/fog if I may say so. Must be because most are on hillsides by rivers, which makes a very picturesque view with the yellow streetlamps fading away and reflecting in the Tejo/Douro/Mondego/Whatever rivers.

I am iber

>those chinky eyes
You're castizo at best

Ah.

No you're not.

they always look nice 2bh

Coimbra in pic