Why do atheists have funerals?

Why do atheists have funerals?

Why do worshippers of atheism get dressed up in suits, dress up the CORPSE ITSELF in a suit, hold moments of silence/reflection, all in a formal ceremony for what the atheist religion dictates is nothing more than decomposing matter?

Theists' belief of man's transcendent worth answers why they do.

What is the atheists' answer?

To me at least, as an atheist. Although I cant speak for all atheists, but its a sign of respect. Just because im an atheist doesnt mean that I cant be mournful of an individual I have lost. Also atheists dont worship anything. Infact its the oppposite of worshipping anything.

Funerals are for the living not the dead.

They offer closure and a chance to share your grief with others who feel the same loss.

If God is all powerful, why doesn't He simply tell everyone that He exists?

Why rely on books and men?

It's obvious you've never been to an atheists funeral.

This is a typical atheist funeral.

That would be too easy
He needs people to believe out of faith

Funeral ceremonies are for the bereaved Not for the deceased.

Profound questions. Too bad you weren't around to debate Maimonides or Thomas Aquinas. Who knows how differently this world's history might have looked...

>thinking you know what God needs

This

DUANE TIME!

I do it because I just feel mournful and sad that a loved one is no longer with me.
This guy pretty much nailed it.

To celebrate and recognize the passing of their life you fucking nimrod. Funerals actually have nothing to do with religion.What you do AT them is what does or doesn't make it religious.

>inb4 bait
I couldn't help myself. I know people that honestly think this way.

Sadly not. This is what religious people actually believe.

_Atheist_religion_ it is not a fucking religion, Atheism simply means that induvitual is beliving in science and not in supernatural things that cannot be proven.

Then the funerals, alltougth it is a religious sermony. It is mostly a sign of respect and mourning to atheists.
I am an atheist and i do celebrate christmas and easter, even if i do not belive in the religious orgins, mostly out of respect to people that do celebrate them harsly, and it is a free holiday after all.

Funerals are for the living.

so that the people who loved the deceased have a final chance to say goodbye

what the fuck do you think, same as anyone else you goddamn pleb.

Atheists getting BTFO and having childish temper tantrums since there is no such thing as an emotionally mature atheist. Atheism goes hand in hand with immaturity

You must be 15.

You must be an atheist. No need to say more.

I'm religious but it's out of respect for the dead you putrid fuck. My father was an atheist and he was the greatest man I ever knew and now he's dead. He still wanted a funeral and I honored his wish.

Where do you live? I want to fight.

Attention OP:

Atheists don't have to justify themselves to you. They don't have to explain their beliefs, because there's nothing to explain. They don't have to prove anything.

Because that's YOUR job.

YOU'RE the one claiming you have an all-powerful invisible friend in the sky. The burden of proof is on YOU.

So, OP, whaddaya got?

And don't say the Bible, because an ancient book written by provincial desert tribesmen doesn't qualify as evidence.

Oh shut the hell up. The world is a shitty place and a lot of people can't regulate themselves. Having gods and heroes helps to fix this and can give someone purpose.

Also God is not your friend, he is your ALLY in the war against BETAS and COWArDs

Wrong. Atheism posits something and that something needs to be justified just like anything else. So the burden is on the atheist. Can't get away that easily. I know atheists like to imagine they are unaccountable to anyone since they can just hide in their mother's basement all day every day

Faggot.

This could be bait. But I will still try to reply. For me, being an atheist, it's about remembering a loved one. It has nothing to do with the current, or future, state of his/her body.

Wrong. The atheist posits only that you have not proven your case.

Think of it as a criminal trial. It's up to the prosecution to demonstrate that their story is likely to be true. The defense has only to show that the prosecution hasn't proven their case; if it's weak enough, they may not put up any defense at all.

Again, the burden of proof for any claim is on the person making that claim. This is a basic rule of debate. The fact that you don't want to follow that rule shows how weak your case is.

Nothing here that proves OP's point, sorry. Play again?

Why bother though? Their life meant nothing and your life means nothing so why bother with ceremony? Atheists think life is meaningless so don't pretend I'm putting words in your mouth. Don't come back at me with some "where did I say that?" shit. I'm using your own words against you. Atheists hate that.

why do religious people cry when their mother dies ?

I go to other people's funerals to comfort people close to the deceased one. But I made it clear that I don't give a shit what happens to my body when I die. I'd prefer no one wasting their time to stand over my decomposing body tbh.

cause you miss her?

Athiests don't think life is meaningless. They just don't think life effects what happens after you have died. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy being alive. Better then religious idiots who limit themselves in fear of some imaginary god and what might happen to them after they die.

Atheists believe we create our OWN meaning in our lives.

If atheists dont think life has meaning above what an individual chooses to make their life mean, its about as vacuous a meaning as if I had a dictionary where I ascribed definitions to words and i was the only one who used these definitions and understand what the words meant.

How come?

If I ascribe meaning to my life, its about as meaningless as if I were to have definitions for words that only I understood

So what?
To some people life is working 24/7 buying a big house and a Ferrari and to other just having fun with friends and family is more important. What's wrong with that?

Well, to be fair, if we're going to talk about "meaning", we really need to define it. And, in particular, if that definition can be based on anything other than human judgments.

nothing but its meaningless

Words need to have a common meaning, life doesn't

If you had your own definitions for words, that would render those words useless for communicating with anyone else. Really, they'd cease to be "words" at all. So it's not a good analogy.

meaning is generally taken in philosophy and epistemology to refer to the proposition expressed by natural language, or more relevantly, to the conditions which allow us to use terms. For this reason, it is important that there be universalized accounts of what things are going to mean

How is it meaningless? I suggest you recheck the definition.
As I clearly said to some people the meaning of life is to get rich to others it's to have fun. That's no more meaningless then trying to impress a fake god.

it is not choice. it is nature.
and your notion of vacuous is based on your preconceived idea that there is a god, which provides meaning and that that meaning is more valuable than you own.

For an atheist it is the other way around. There is no meaning more vacuous than the one from a non-existing being because that simply cannot be better that our own.

Still waiting for OP to respond to me here:

no they dont, the linguistic phrase "chair" has no meaning other than what is conventionally ascribed to it. If an alien came down and interpreted "chair" to refer to penises, he cant be faulted

even if it has meaning the meaning is vacuous

Because we care about that person, faggot.

That's a technical definition that works for the context of language. So what does it have to do with the metaphorical use in "the meaning of life"?

Don't know, I didn't have any myself

He tried that, 2016 years later some jerkwad just asked him to do it again.

He's god, I think he has more important stuff to do than pop up at chunky cheese anytime some doofus goes but where God do?

Smooth comeback! Now finish him off with an nuh uh!

The same reason everyone has a funeral, to help bring closure for those who are still alive. We can act like religious people have more holy reasons behind why they attend their loved one's funeral but in reality an atheists is just as sad when their mom dies as a theist.

They give everyone an opportunity to remember "the good times" and share stories of the deceased with others. It's a final respect for those who have departed.

To suggest that a loved one's corpse is just a decomposing corpse to an atheist would be akin to suggesting that a Christian's corpse is nothing more than a husk of what once carried the soul of a child of God.

Nice b8 by the way, faggot.

No more vacuous then trying to impress a fake god. That's the definition of vacuous.
Vacuous "having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence". That's a perfect description of religious people.

Atheists are making a positive claim, they are presenting a model of the universe. Just because it involves the absence of some thing as it's main defining feature doesn't mean they are passive or not in need of proving anything about it.
If atheists want to be a part of any intelligent debate, they need to bring something to the table.
If someone said that a food is fat free, that is just as much of a description of the food as if they had listed everything that IS in the food.

actually, burden of proof is on the prosecution, as you said. So really it comes down to whoever is making the accusation to the other. If the athiest claims "god isnt real" then burden of proof is on them, and vice versa.

I wish faggots from both sides would stop trying to make this argument, because it doesn't hold any merit in a debate that can't be proven either way.

Nice job cancelling out the evidence you ask for.

How about asking for proof in the form of a flood, or plague of locusts, or someone coming back from the dead (but none of the times these already happened, you deserve a daily miracle before you'd believe in some sky fairy)

"Facts" from the bible have been proven false countless times. That's all the proof Athiests need.

people come back from the dead everyday guy.
As well as plagues of locust.

How

Well it is pretty obvious that you do not know what atheism is. It si not a religion. It is not anything organized. It is simply that you do not believe in any gods. End of story.

And this is the crux of the atheist argument, that they know better than someone else the existence of God.

Even though God has constantly given proof of his existence, the atheist, wrapped in his own pride, declares God a fantasy.

Wrong. The scientific picture of the universe is one where God is unnecessary. And yet you're insisting that God exists. The rational response is to ask what evidence you have that he exists.

And you're now saying that you don't need any evidence. Sorry, but that's not how it works.

So you're saying people like Wernher Von Braun are lacking in thought or intelligence? good to know.
Shit argument against religion.

Atheists dont think life is meaningless. They dont believe that a higher power assigned meaning to it. There is a difference.

When has god proven his existence?

▄██████▒▒▒▒░
██▓▀██████▒▒▒█▒╗
█▀▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▒▒
░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒╖
░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓█▒▒
░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒▒▒▒░
░░░░███▓███▀▒▒▒▒░░░░░░
░░░░█▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒▒██████▄░
░░░▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█░
░░░█▓████▓█▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░███████▀▒█▒▒▒█▄▓█`%░░
░░░██████▒▓▓▓▌▐▒▒▓▓▀»░░░░
░░██████▓██▌▒@▒▒██▒▒▒░░░░░
░▒███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒Ñ░░░░░░░░
░░███▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░`░`░░░░░░░░
░████▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░▒███▓▓▓█████▌▄▄▄▄▄@@@φg▄▄█▌░
░░▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▒▓▌░░░
░░███▒▒▀▓▓▓█▒█▒▒▄▒@≡╩`╓@█▀`░░░
░░░██▒▒▒░▀█▒▒█▒▒▒╗,]Qw▒▒▒░░░░
░░░███▒▒▒▒╖░²╝ÑÉ▒░░░░░░░░,.;▒░░░░░░░░░░,▄█▒█▒░
░░░████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║╔ÿ░░░░░░░░░!▒░░░░░░░░≈▒▀╝░░╩▒░
░░▐█████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒╣░░░░░░░░░▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▀▀`░░░░╓█▌w
░░▐██████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒╣░░░░░░░░░╝▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░██▒▒░
░░░██████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░]██▒▀▒░░
░░░███████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒Ñ░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░]██▒╣░▒░ÿ
░░░███████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▒▒░░░░░
░░░░████████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▒▒░╣░░░
░░░░▓█▓██████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒██▒▒░╙░░▒░
░░░░▒██▒█████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒╣▒░░╣▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░╘███▒░░░░▒▒
░░░░░▓▓▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒╣▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒██▒▒░░░░░
░░░░░╘▓█▒▓▓█████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▒▒░░░░░
░░░░░░▐▓█░▓▓███▒██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐██▒░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀▓█░▓▓███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██▒▒░░░░╣░░░
░░░░░░░░▀▓█░▀▓███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▒╣░░╢╣╣░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀██▒▒▓▓███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▒▒╗░░╢╣░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░▀███▌▒▀▀██▀▒█▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▒▒╣,,▒░╣░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░▀██▓▓█▒▒▒▀██▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒████▒▒▒g 9░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▒▒▓▒▒▒█▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒████▒▒▒▌,`▒░░░╣░░║ÿy,wp@▒▒▒▒╣ÿ
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░²▀▒▒▒▓█▒▒█▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░╟▒█████▒▒█▌,,╙▒░░░╣╣▒▒▒▒Ñ``
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░╓▒▒▒███▒░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▓███▒▒██
░░░░░░░░░░░░@▒╣╣╛░`²▀▀▒▒▒╗░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▓███▒▒█▒
░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒`░░░░░░░▐▒▒▒╗░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░▀█▒▒▒▒▒▌╖
░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒Ñ░░░░░░░░░░░▀▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░╠▒▒▒w`╩▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌▒≡≡@@╖╓,
░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒`░░░░░░░░░░░░░`▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▀╩ÑÑ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒Ñ╩╜╝
░░░░░░░╓▒░Ñ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒║
░░░░░░░?▒▌░,░░░░░░░░░░░░░░¿▒▒▒░░

No they haven't.

This intellectual debate is stimulating

I don't need a daily miracle. I just need one, properly documented. Nothing in the Bible qualifies.

Yet every single being every week/daily is supposed to pray and worship him because he chose to build an ant farm. But you have the free will to choose to do it, oh wait if you don't you are damned... yeah he could make time. Honestly I have less problem with an idea of a creator as I do "religions" morons created.

GOD WILLS IT

There is NO proof of God's existence. That's the whole point.

It's obvious, though, that you've never seriously questioned your belief in God. So you're probably not even capable of understanding our reasoning.

I'm glad you agree God exists.

The "Noahs ark" story has been dissproven. Look it up.

Ofcourse they have. Let's see, evolution and the age of the planet would be the big two. Then there are things like Noah's ark. You really believe he put 2 of every animal in a boat? That couldn't be done today.

I'd still like to know how Noah kept the carnivores fed. It's amazing any prey animals survived at all.

Mind blown

It is a good excuse to drink Jameson with friends.

Why do Christians say the Bible is lying when it says you will be trapped in your buried body until the end of days, when Jesus will raise you up for the final battle? Because trapped in your flesh forever would be madness?
It is like Johnny Got His Gun, only with even less ability to move or communicate and 0 contact with people.

idd

And then there's sanitation. Awful lot of poop for one family to muck out.

But maybe God miraculously made all the poop disappear every day? See, once you bring in miracles, you don't need logic at all.

Heck, maybe we were all created five minutes ago, with all our memories intact and all the dinosaur fossils already in the ground. Once you bring God into the scenario, there's no reason why it couldn't have happened that way.

Over and over and over, he even documented these proofs in a book, you can even test him today and he'll still prove it to you, there are like 3 ways to ask God to prove his truth to you that I can think of off the top of my head right now.

>Theists' belief of man's transcendent worth answers why they do.

No it doesn't. Transcendence means he's still alive somewhere else. Christian religions by nature of believing in life after death means life and death are cheap. You don't get depressed when your phone breaks when you are guaranteed a new better phone for free. You may get depressed if someone breaks something you can't replace.

Death is proof Christians don't believe what they spout. Deep down, they also think it is a lie.

OP, how many times do we have to tell you that THE BIBLE DOES NOT QUALIFY AS EVIDENCE.

It's a book. It was written by human beings, the same as any other book. And you have absolutely no way to prove otherwise.

Lol your "proof" is a book filled with obvious lies (like Noah's ark which you ignore) you can't seriously be trying to use that as evidence.

What are these 3 things we can do to get god to prove he is real?

More like some asshole decided to start lying to people thousands of years ago, couldn't come up with proof for his lies, and decided "faith" was the next best thing.

Funny how these threads start of with a bunch of Christians but the all disappear as the lies they believe are all disproven.

Check and mate, OP.

You cannot convince a skeptic if your arguments rely on the Bible. Because the Bible is precisely what the skeptic is questioning.

So, unless you can come up with something else, you've lost.

You are a fucking fag

Been 15 minutes since I wrote this, with no reply from OP. So that's a win, then? I think that's a win.