Why is 1/0 so hard?

Why is 1/0 so hard?

Isn't the answer 0?

If I have nothing, and i divided it into 10 pieces. Each piece is exactly nothing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BRRolKTlF6Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

retard you just did 0/10 not 10/0

I know what you are saying.

But that doesn't make my last sentence incorrect?

Make it incorrect so I can feel comfortable today.

because 0 is more a concept then an actual number

Because computer dont logic in that way, but sometimes do maybe? 0=0

How do I have nothing, and still divide it into 10 piece in my imagination, then have any of those pieces be anything besides nothing?

>baiting this hard
Dude try a little subtlety

okay try this.
you have 10 pieces, divide into 0 groups.
does that mean you have 1 because they're all in the same (non) group? Or maybe is it 0 because to have 0 groups you have zero pieces

Mathematical operators are arbitrary. If they arbitrarily defined division by zero to always equal zero you'd still be making this fucking thread saying it doesn't make sense

Figure this one out and Sup Forums can lead the new new world order.

rule 37?

So I understand it as the limit of our math language?

Because logically its 0 groups, 10 pieces.

Isn't that 2 levels of stuff? Requiring 2 diff set of symbols (math, english) to represent?

You describe 0 / 10

1/1 = 1
1/0.1 = 10
1/0.001 = 100
1/0.0001 = 1000
1/0 = INFINITY

0 goes in to 1 an infinite amount of times and the answer is called complex infinity

10 / 0
would be infinite right ? not zero

I believe complex infinity describes the process our calculators are stuck in because we still don't know how to properly define 1/0 and program calculators to do so

Can something be created out of nothing? Our universe for example?

If we assume that is true, figuring out 1/0 will kinda mean figuring out where we came from.

In fact, the clusterfuck sounds exactly like this world I live in.

Which is why I am baiting us this wonderful morning.

You can give 1 thing to 0 people an infinite amount of times

that's an approximation tho

like that's not actually what 1/0 is

just like .99999999999999999 isn't 1

it's .99999999999999999

Let's try this, if you're not troll
6/3=2 so 2*3=6
4/2=2 so 2*2=4
Now by your question
10/0=0 means 0*0=10 ?

damn you're retard

Not sure how half of what you said correlates to the other

No, you have 10 pieces still so you have to have groups. If you're dividing it by 0 into 0 groups that doesn't make sense so the agreed upon equation is "10/0 = undefined"

However dividing 0/10 does = 0 since yes, you divided nothing into several groups of nothing

If you have nothing, you can't divide into anything because it is nothing dip shit.

Also, it has to do with the rules of math.

If you divide somthing by a number, the result multiplied by the original divisor will give you the original number. If you divided 1 by 0 and got 0, it means that if you multiplied 0 by 0 you would get 1. Dumb ass.

Dont you mean 10*0=0
And thus 0/0=10 (or any number)

The answer is not 0. You are taking a thing and dividing it by the absence of a thing. You might as well try to slice a cake with your sense of humor.

like, 1 does not equal .99999999, but we approximate it to equal 1 for simplicity.

0/1 does not equal infinity. we could approximate it to for simplicity, but it doesn't equal infinity. y'know

10/0=x

x*0=10

but 0=10 is false

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

Bump this.

.9999999999(etc)*10=9.9999999999 (etc)

9.999999999 (etc)-.999999999(etc)=9

9/9=1

Therefore .999999999 (etc) = 1

>If I have nothing, and i divided it into 10 pieces. Each piece is exactly nothing.
That's not what 10/0 is, you retard. That would be 0/10. 10/0 means that you divide 10 pieces into zero groups, which is impossible since you still have 10 pieces left that you can't put into any group. You can't divide them because you don't have any groups to put them in.

0 multiplied by an irrationally large number is equal to 10

Incorrect, 0.9 recurring is in fact equal to 1. Assume x = 0.9999 etc. 10x= 9.99999 etc. 10x - x = 9.9999 - 0.9999 therefore 9x = 9 and x = 9/9 = 1

You took the problem inside out (imarightwiththeexpression?) but all in all it amounts in the same conclusion : incoherence

/thread

M8 I was proving that 0.999 does equal one (unless you're Reenforcing the point, in which case cheers)

The answer is undefined because it could be any number whatsoever

I was reinforcing

what if we absolutely get rid of number 0?
then all works out right?

Wrong.
1/3 = 0.33333333333...
2/3 = 0.66666666666...
3/3 = 0.99999999999... = 1

You meant 1/0 right? Cos 0/1 definitely equals 0.

smaller pieces of nothing might be useful in something scienceshit, i guess.

I sometimes understand divide as "of"

1 part "of" 0, isn't 0?

when you divide, you find out how many of the number your dividing by fit into the number you're dividing

Because an infinite amount of 0's fit into any number, calculators will show "math error" because they can't represent infinite amounts

Just multiply the formula to make it workable

2(1/0) = 2/1 = 2

Then divide it by 2 again

2/2 = 1 = 1/0

1/0 = 1

That only explains how our calculators do/do not work

Nope, still not right. 2 X 1/0 is 2/0

the answer would be infinitely large
and also non-existant

You can't fit 0 a finite amount of times into a number, nor an infinite amount as 0 is the lack of a number

number ZERO is nothing, number ZERO don't exist because it don't have a value, only value it have if you have two numbers like 10, 20, 30...

zero is not number neither is infinity

you are right it only explain what is number 10, 20.. but it number zero on it self don't have a value

Wrong: zero is a number, infinity is a transfinite number

Surely it's pi?

Whoa there user. Andi who do you think you are to impose your binary classification onto numbers. A transnumber can be whatever it identifies with, regardless of how you feel about it. Might consider checking your privilege once in a while.

like the decimal places after which

Go back to school and learn arithmetics.. 0 divided by 10 gives 0. You mixed numerator and denominator, idiot

0.00000000000000 recurring but you'll never find the 0000000000000000001

Your text doesn't reflect your initial problem, you idiot.

so rounded to the nearest decimal place it will always equal zero.

[color=green]>0 multiplied by an irrationally large number is equal to 10[/color]

Sorry, dont know how to greentext

Niggers

>don't know about new binary
21121122 21121111 21121122

For me, it's like dividing something through nothing.

I'm working with math all day long, I know all that kind of shit and argumentations about it.
..But for me, it'll be a logic conclusion, when x/0 = x, since you wouldn't devide x by anything at all.

So, x/0 = x/1, which would prove that 0 = 1, which would prove that everyone here is a huge goddamn faggot, and you should all kill yourselves.

My god there are some retarded answers in this thread. Listen, take any finite number of objects. How many groups of zero objects can you form from that group? 4? 42? 8,641? There is no answer because you can pull any number of groups of zero out of your initial collection and still not have finished dividing the objects into groups of zero. That's why division by zero is undefined - this question about separating a collection of objects into groups of zero objects doesn't make any sense.

Are you a nigger?

If you imagine 0 as an empty vacuum that is literally empty, ask yourself; how many of those could you fit into a box?

It would literally never end and can not end.

No, you can give 1 thing to 0 people 0 times, as in no times. Because when u say you're giving it to no people, you're not giving it. It's incoherent to say you can give something to nobody.

This guy gets it. Zero is not a number, it's an idea representing nothing tangible. Anything divided by zero, then, is "undefined" as the correct answer.

so why isn't any number divided by 0 infinity?

>applying vacuum is empty
Check ’Em

0 goes into any number exactly an infinite number of times.

Many astrophysicists think that, yes, because of the specific properties of matter it could have been created from fluctuations within nothing.
For complicated reasons, it's not as nonsensical as it sounds.

But negative numbers are not tangible either. Would you say that 2/(-1) is undefined ?

1 / 0 is not 0 since 0 * 0 =/= 1.

>Being this new

Sort of a non-sequitur, in that all numbers are subjective descriptors, not objects per se.

Relations between numbers are logical propositions linking descriptors, so division by zero is impossible solely by virtue of being logically impossible.

We can not imagine a way in which something could be divided by zero, because material is never zero (in volume, mass, etc) and zero is simply the descriptor for a lack of material.

Oh and OP's description is 0/10 which is indeed 0.

I gotta know though, what made you think it was some ancient html format instead of just googling it?

If anyone is not trolling and actually interested, watch this

youtube.com/watch?v=BRRolKTlF6Q

The reason you can't divide by zero is because math is about what works. If you divide by zero, you get nonsense. Math doesn't work if you allow it.

>seriously, do people not just work it out by trial and error?

mind blown. all mathematics is wrong.

More like our entire view of the universe is wrong.
Allegory of the cave blah blah blah.

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING YOU CAN'T DIVIDE IT

/thread/

>being this new

Yeah you think someone could follow a basic logic path:
>that guy and every other guy whose post is green put a ">" in front of his text
>maybe I should put a ">" in front of my text

Not sure if that guy is retard or bait.

>confirmed dubs
like you can't divide apples you don't have

Let us assume the answer is zero
>1/0=0
>2/0=0
>1/0=2/0
>1/0*0=2/0*0
>1=2
It doesn't work
0 is a number, go fuck yourself.

0 is not a number but a description of nothing

seems like you didn't go to university

>you can't divide apples you don't have
Dying and/or communist countries disagree.

but what is nothing?

if you can think of it then nothing is something

>Sorry

I did it, but how do I make the code disappear?

The total absence of matter and energy in a given volume.
You are mistaking the nothing for your idea of nothing, which is indeed something.