Why are people so dishonest about their taste?

When you ask a normie what their taste in music is, the most common response is "I listen to everything", while in truth, they likely only listen to pop and buttrock. Here in Sup Forums, the real music jags are always seeking the most obscure, underground artists they possibly can and try to claim that their secret chicken scratch is amazing and deep. Top 100 threads are full of albums with artsy, weird cover art.

It's a phenomenon that seems more prevalent in music than any other medium.

music is a fashion accessory

This. It reveals a lot of your personality.

>the most common response is "I listen to everything", while in truth, they likely only listen to pop and buttrock
Isn't that just because that's the only music they've heard before?

If you played merzbow or something for them they would not think it was music.

>If you played merzbow or something for them they would not think it was music.

Wel,l it's not.

the classification of music genre's is too crapshoot for any but the most vain hipster to learn beyond the broad categories.
when someone says 'they listen to everything' they mean 'there are rock, metal, edm, pop, and hip-hop songs I enjoy. I know people who exclusively listen to, say metal, and I am not such a people'

Sup Forums only likes songs to listen to when you're depressed in the dark and badly want gf

yeah

you never see artfags claiming some underground painter from richmond is their favorite its always someone big like pollock, rothko, richter, or guston

I don't think so either, but I'm saying they obviously aren't thinking about esoteric "music" when they say "I listen to everything."

You can interpret their meaning as "I listen to everything I hear on the radio/in 100M-view music videos/etc."

No one cares about your music taste mate, it won't get you laid and it won't make you look cool. Only lame cunt's make music part of their personality.

>Top 100 threads are full of albums with artsy, weird cover art.
I don't really see how this is dishonesty. You expect someone's personal top 100 albums to all be platinum sellers?

>it won't get you laid and it won't make you look cool
How vain.
>Sup Forums, the real music jags are always seeking the most obscure, underground artists they possibly can
You either haven't been here for long or are what you call "normie"

When people ask me about what music I like I say I like everything and "if it's good it's good."

That means if it's shit, it's shit by implication so I leave it at that unless they really press for it and then I'll say whatever I'm listening to lately or whatever I think won't make me come across as a fucking hipster

I like everything except rap and country ;)

Most people aren't into music, and they're heard a few songs from different genre's and just say that because they don't actually have a favorite genre. Really not hard to figure out op.

I listen exclusively to the sounds of isolated African honey bees.

This is very real. I wasn't sure if Sup Forums was just full of uber hipsters or if i was just massively out of touch with what's cool these days because i don't really get listening to a japanese dream pop band from the 80s who only put out one EP and then they all died in a bus accident.

I can believe this

I used to say I listen to everything before I started actually paying attention to what music I listen to. Turns out my favorite genre is folk.

I like to recommend people noise without telling them its noise because imagining their reaction when they look it up is funny.

Personally i genuinely do like.. pretty much every genre? Like i can really listen to almost anything and be happy with it unless it's just plain awful. there's very few albums i've listened to that i've actually disliked and very few genres that i have listened to that i have found unenjoyable. So where does that leave me?

Most pretentious post i've ever seen on Sup Forums

I mean personally I can appreciate good work in pretty much any genre. It's not like I only listen to certain genres, and can't stand anything else, only mongoloids do shit like that. But I do have favorites that I listen to more than others, I feel like that's just inevitable in a musical taste. I don't think the question "what do you listen to?" literally means to name every genre you listen to, just to name the ones you connect with the most, which to me is jazz, ambient, and metal.

I don't really know how to begin working out which genres i connect the most with? I feel very strongly that i connect on a deep level with artists that span over a large amount of genres?

If you're into dream pop, then listening to an obscure Japanese dream pop EP might interest you. Simple as that.

Having a rym that chronicles what you listen to helps. How long have you been into music? I have a hard time imagining that someone who's a long time music listener doesn't have a favorite genre, or group or genres. Do you not listen to a lot of music? Note, I mean different albums, listening to a lot of the same albums over and over again doesn't count as listening to a lot of music imo.

It doesn't matter if you connect with certain artists more than if you connect with certain genres, or vice versa. What matters is you connecting to music.

I listen to an awful lot of music, I'm almost listening to music during my entire waking existence, and i've been playing music with multiple instruments for 17 years.

I guess i just don't really find myself connecting to specific genres but rather energies? a lot of my favourite albums have really intense energies, i like a lot of upbeat stuff, ranging anywhere from really angry metal to really happy pop. But i'm really weak for anything that has a deep emotional charge to it like Jeff Buckley. None of those genres really have anything specific in common that i could connect together and identify qualities of a specific genre though? Which is why when people ask me what genres i say i will say i listen to literally everything.

M8, you're saying that to someone who can't name more than three bands/artists and who's only collection of music is a messy bookmarks folder of youtube videos.

I only ever post here once every couple of weeks dude. I don't know what to tell you if that's the most pretentious post you've ever seen.

I mean there has to be certain genre's that elicit that feeling more than others? Happy and upbeat inhabit certain genre's moreso over others. Like I don't think black ambient would be your kind of genre.

normies use music as a way to prove to each other that they're intelligent and cultured. if you don't have a hot take on the new solange album, you're a loser.

and yet, the musical equivalents of those painters are shunned on Sup Forums

A better question is, why are people, on Sup Forums or otherwise, so unwilling to accept depth in music?

There is literally 0 possibility that you use the internet regularly and can't name more than 3 artists.
There are more than 3 artists in the common lexicon of the culture at large.

Music is entirely subjective. What is brilliant to one person is trash to another.

No one should care about someone else's musical taste really. It's nice to find like minds but the way people argue here over something being 'good' or not is objectively hilarious.

that's a redundant af answer though. "what do you like?" "the stuff that I like"

Okay i guess you're right i'm not particularly into black ambient. But that's kind of a sub genre and i do like all the main genres.

But there's not really a specific genre or a few specific genres that elicit more feeling than others. For me it's about my mood or my state of mind. I don't really know how to explain that or if it's normal. it's just weird to me that people are saying i have to have like a select few genres that are my favourite when i just don't feel that way? i feel very passionately about all genres i just appreciate them in different ways.

it's more sad than hilarious

90% of Sup Forums just listen to pop and buttrock though, oh and a bunch of Fantano approved memerap so they don't get called racist.

The very few who listen to ''the most obscure, underground artists they possibly can'' are contained in RYM threads and the occasional topsters thread.

Anyone who thinks different has only been here a month.

OH NOES!

PEOPLE ON A MUSIC BOARD EXPLORE PAST WHATS ON THE RADIO, HOW DARE THEY HAVE AN INTEREST IN EXPLORING

WTF! WHY ISN'T Sup Forums FILLED WITH RADIO MUSIC??!??!?

>>>/billboard forums/

I feel like a lot of people have been memed into taking an anti-intellectual stance on contemporary media (films, tv/anime, music, video games, probably books as well). Like it's part of contemporary culture so that /must/ mean it's worse than the art of previous centuries. I mean sure that sounds believable enough, but that doesn't mean that anything made in the past 20 years isn't worth being subjected to analysis.

>why isn't Sup Forums only Beyonce, Guetta and Gaga

You people killed this place

See
For solid analysis

Hi Cristian

Hmm, yeah that is a little bit weird. I mean I dabble in a lot of fucking genres, but I certainly have others I go back to more than others. Is what you like based on what you're feeling at the time? I've heard people tell me that before. I feel like if you thought about it hard enough you would at least see that you have some sort of pattern of genres your prefer over others.

How do you miss the point this hard?

I kinda thought about it and i guess if i really had to pick i'd say that my favourite genres are metal, hip hop and club music. I guess those three are the ones that i go back to the most.. But in all honesty i don't really see them as my "favourites" in that i prefer them over other genres but just based on the amount i listen to them?

I think it's definitely based on what i feel, The talent of the specific artist i'm listening to and the composition of the song. But i can honestly safely say i have had very equally overwhelming emotional reactions from music of all the major genres and a hell of a lot of sub genres.

Who knows.

>but just based on the amount i listen to them?
I mean that's what i do, so yeah. I'd say frequency is a more telling aspect of what you like than anything else, you wouldn't keep going back it to it if you didn't like it. I think you're possibly over-complicating the issue.

Okay fair enough i guess. I was gauging more on how i feel about the specific genres i listen to but i suppose if i listen to one genre more, you're right i probably prefer it.

I don't know although I don't really listen to merzbow I think anything with sound is music, like what John cage said.

pleb here - my influences aren't in genres but the artists themselves.

see i enjoy the grand wazoo and waka/jawaka by frank zappa but that doesn't mean i'm into jazz fusion. nah, i've tried finding other artists and hardly anything else interested me.

sometimes people do mean it when they listen to all kinds of music.. it's just that vague questions get vague answers.

I'm interested in this hypothetical dream pop ep.

I don't know what about that Linkin Park guy.

Someone define music. Without a clear definition, the debate on what's considered music and what's not is completely pointless and entirely based on personal opinion.

An intentional creative work, where sound is the primary focus.

Defining music is hard because I think listening to birds in a park is considered music. Again like I said I think anything that has sound can be considered music. Like what John cage did with 4'33.

It's a total mystery why human beings like to listen to organized sound at all. The fact there's uncertainty and vague answers about what people like is only to be expected.

>I think listening to birds in a park is considered music
See I would disagree with that. I don't think field recordings are music. It's important to have it as a genre marker because other musical albums utilize them in their music, and music companies make albums of field recordings, but themselves it's not music.
>4'33"
That's actually a tough one to me. I'm leaning towards no, because I think you would have to really stretch a bit to argue that the silence is intentional and therefore it's music. The point of 4'33" was that the sound the audience makes is the music (to put it simply), 4'33" actually have markings and is a fully composed work. There's just no actual notes. The idea that it's just "lol silence" is the pop culture understanding, but it's very inaccurate. That said, he can't control what noises the audience makes, so even though one could argue that he intentionally setup everything so that the audience could do their thing, I personally would think that's a stretch and say no. It's an interesting question though.

Also you have to take into consideration that just because something isn't music, doesn't mean it doesn't have artistic merit. I feel like that gets lost every time this conversation comes up.

I understand that you believe it has artistic merit I'm just saying I believe those things are considered music imo. I also think until there is a set definition for music that there will be this debate for a long time.

I don't think there ever will be a set definition, but i don't think that's not a reason for someone to create their own that makes sense to them and argue about it. Arguing is what keeps intellectual discussion going, and how ideas progress.

>I listen to everything

You don't like music

cultural appreciation is the easiest way to position yourself as "above" the outgroup without making any actual material contribution to society; not even making your own art. people do this with poetry, literary fiction, film, painting, sculpture. they do it with comic books, video games, sci-fi and fantasy. they do it with utilitarian objects like cars, guns and computer hardware

its easy to devote yourself to a product that you consume & base your entire identity around it. its difficult to work towards actual tangible self-improvement. thats really all there is to it

narcissism is a hell of a drug and we are all a bit guilty

I totally agree, but I also think that definitions end arguments quickly.

silly analogy
Painting, unlike music, exists only within art
Plebeians generally don't give a fuck about any painters.
Music spans both art and entertainment
Film spans both art and entertainment
Literature spans both art and entertainment

I disagree as much as fields like literary criticism and musicology are concerned. There's something meaningful to the dissection, analysis, and general hermenuetics of a work as much as there are in creating it. Populous dilettante appreciation will always be comparably shallow, though not invalid per the evocation of unique, personal experiences, to ventures that really focus on 'appreciating'.

>tfw listen to everything but punk
It's an objectively shit genre.

explain why it is objectively shit

>buttrock

explain yourself

i'm envisioning like rhcp, black keys, blink 182, fall out boy...

I don't agree with him but 3 chords and it's just someone screaming either about anti-establishment or some shit like that could not be appeasing for someone.

Ok but where's the objective part? That's my point.

Well he subjectively thinks that objectively it's a shit genre. Fucking I don't know what goes through someone else's mind.

I don't even listen to music most the time. In fact, I avoid it so I don't wear it out for myself.

The other side of the story is, I used to like really screwed up musicians in the past, and knowing I may still enjoy their work, even though I make a conscious decision not to listen to anything, kinda bothers me. I don't want the mental state I was in before to creep back indirectly somehow, and music kinda does that a bit.

O my, how many buzzwords.

>it won't get you laid and it won't make you look cool.

I've literally gotten 3 chicks in bed through my taste in music. My looks may somehow have a part in it too (although I think I'm pretty average through and through), but two of the three gave me their numbers when I asked because I slipped a brief conversation about music in there and they were on the same page as me.

Date more "alternative" college chicks. They fuck based on music taste all of the time. I'm a complete fucking sperg and not that good looking, so if I can do it, just about anyone can.

I don't really talk to my friends about music or what I listen to.

they're not purposely lying, their knowledge of music is so limited that they legitimately are under the impression that they listen to everything

>African honey bees
>not listening to field recordings of Antarctic krill
stay pleb Sup Forums

This, it's actually really hard to talk about obscure artists here. I get zero replies when I mention artists I like that aren't already part of the Sup Forums repertoire.

I love how half the time people complain about Sup Forums, it's because "everyone is a poser listening to overly obscure shit", and the other half it's because "everyone is a pleb listening to the same 20 albums".

>folk
WHATS THE FIRST LETTER OF YOUR FIRST NAME

sounds like you've got problems

because you're a kid and your friends are kids. this is how kids behave.

Birds in a park aren't music. Sampling birds in a park, even if nothing gets changed about it, can be music though

Also, you don't have to have full control of what you hear for something to be music. You don't have exact control of how distortion will affect a guitar in a certain way. Music can contain generative stuff, where the musician only controls some parameters.

wut? so live music isn't music because it has to be recorded to be music? or are you just being extremely anthrocentric and denying birds autonomy in their birdsong?

my taste got me laid. hmmmmmmmmm

Is this your first fucking thread on Sup Forums ever? Introducing people to noise for the lOL sO zAnY pranking is a sign of real immaturity and idiocy. Do you even recognize what pretentiousness looks like? Chances are the kid's just a sperg with little ability to socialize, so he hides underneath a pseudo-edgy mask of retardation, in the hopes that people will at the very least offer up a pity laugh, or just ignore him due to his unbearable nature, making it slightly easier for him to sleep at night knowing it is not his fault, and they just don't get him, man.

>walks into Starbucks
>sees you drinking a grande caramel frappe by yourself
>make ten second eye contact and mouth the word (you)

Music is anything an artist wants the audience/listener to hear.

Gaga's new album is pretty solid though.

Fuck Beyonce, though. I don't know who the fuck is Guetta is at all.

this is a really good answer desu

This upsets me because of how true it is, and how illogical it makes spending so much time on music and books is.

this, me too.

but only once and we are kinda still together, sort of. it's complicated. she moved after only 2 weeks of us hooking up and and now it's more like a fuck-buddy sorta deal because we see each other twice a month or so.

anyways it really fucking helps because it makes you more interesting to her and she feels comfortable talking about her 'weird' side (aka her p4k-core taste) plus it helps when flirting and we you first approach her.

and you can tell who the alt-chicks are by their looks so you don't have to be as afraid of rejection.

I've stopped caring what people might think and started being totally honest about what music I listen to, and I've come to the realization that most people don't give a shit and don't think twice about whatever unpopular shit I listen to, and every once in a while I'll meet someone with similar tastes and have a great time seeing what artists we have in common.

>liking music to gain the approval of others

I think the real question is "who fucking cares?"