I need song ideas to play with my Jazz Band at uni

I need song ideas to play with my Jazz Band at uni.
We have drums, keys, upright/electric bass, electric and acoustic guitars, sax, and flute.
Looking for more upbeat stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bzyTUekkMCI
youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vACbUETa0
youtube.com/watch?v=ylXk1LBvIqU
youtube.com/watch?v=qWG2dsXV5HI
youtube.com/watch?v=3MkUvZUTFUc
youtube.com/watch?v=Riok08Y_ri4
youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA
youtube.com/watch?v=KxibMBV3nFo
hopestreetmusicstudios.com/articles/100-must-know-jazz-tunes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dizzy gillespie

This is a band for a class? Ask your instructor???

be cool kids and play some funky stuff like badbadnotgood or something idk with beats and stuff to impress everyone

also this youtu.be/bzyTUekkMCI

I've asked him, he gave me a list of a bunch of stuff I've never heard of. I figured I'd ask you guys prehence diving into it, since this board is all about good tunes

>dizzy gillespie
Dank, I like it. Any specific track your favorite?

list?

21st century schizoid man

leest

How are you in a jazz band but haven't heard Diz's music yet?

Who the fuck is in a jazz program and hasn't heard dizzy gillespie? Even if you're a high-school musician you've heard of him.

Jazz instruments, not jazz major. I'm going into film scoring, and have just started getting into jazz this year. I only know artists like Coltrane, Esperanza spalding, Armstrong, Miles davis, stuff like that

fair enough I guess. Y'all could just play stuff out of the real book. It's great if you're just learning jazz because the melodies are written out for you and your instructor will be familiar with the tracks and can help you learn to improvise over the chord progressions.

I'm an amature jazz enthusiast, why else would I be on here asking for song advice?

Sorry, the way you framed the question was kind of confusing--I thought you were in a jazz program and were playing in a band. Definitely check out the real book, listen to some of the recordings, share them with your bandmates, and see what sticks. I bet your department has a few real books laying around somewhere, ask your instructor.

But ultimately you should trust your instructor. Generally, the things they share with you will be recorded already. I'm not sure exactly what the focus of your ensemble is but the instructor will generally know all of your skill levels and will put music at your level in front of you.

Word, I think one of my bandmates has one I could probably snoop through. Almost too much to know where to start with that book lol

Yeah, we've been figuring out jazz renditions of pop songs lately, just kinda wanted to expand to different genres with jazz instruments, so I've been searching the web, not finding too much interesting

I'll post some tracks that are probably in the real book that are great starting places:
youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vACbUETa0
youtube.com/watch?v=ylXk1LBvIqU
youtube.com/watch?v=qWG2dsXV5HI
youtube.com/watch?v=3MkUvZUTFUc
youtube.com/watch?v=Riok08Y_ri4

Latin stuff:
youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA
youtube.com/watch?v=KxibMBV3nFo

Check out this article: hopestreetmusicstudios.com/articles/100-must-know-jazz-tunes

If you're interested in a certain genre I can recommend more stuff that would lend itself well for your ensemble.

If you're playing jazz instrumentation, I think it's really important to know at least some of the standards. There's a ton of recordings of a wide variety of people doing this stuff. It will hep you all grow a lot as musicians. At least include a couple.

Hell yeah, thanks m8!

Sure! If you see me posting around, feel free to let me know how your ensemble is going! I'll remember. Sorry for being a dick earlier, I was just confused. I hope I helped!

I've been working on an arrangement of the outro of Blacker the Berry that's fun to play, along with some other untitled tracks. i might post in a bit. They have pleasant melodies and are easy to transcribe or play by ear

No worries man, I appreciate it
Some kendrick? That's pretty boss

Make your own music. What the fuck is the point of playing other peoples' music? Are you autistic?

We need six songs to play by December. I've written a couple songs, and two other band mates are writing songs, but we're just testing the waters right now, and everyone seems to be all about covers

autistic, artistic, what's the difference?

To learn and respect those artists? bait.

Spain by Chick Corea is a pretty solid choice

Everyone starts with covers what the fuck

get a Real Book yo faget loser
what kind of shitty school do you go to? some kind of community college??

>Jazz Band

Green Dolphin St.
Autumn Leaves
Satin doll
A Train
Fly Me to the Moon
September Song
Speak Low
Bye Bye Blackbird
Without a Song
No Greater Love
But Not For Me