Did the Beach Boys have the saddest backstory?

A lot of bands/band members have sad backstories
Ex. The Beatles:
>John Lennon/Paul Mccartney's moms died >Stuart Sutcliffe died
>Brian Epstein died
>George sleeping with Ringos wife
>And eventually John was killed
but I think the Beach Boys had the saddest backstory. I'll post pieces of evidence to support my claim, but if anyone has a sadder band, feel free to post.
I'll start off with the fact that the three Wilson brothers were beaten/emotionally abused by their father. He controlled them in their personal life and musical career.
youtube.com/watch?v=DATadl9seGc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G-K-n5op9nI
youtube.com/watch?v=oZSAQX2uuUY
dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3873392/The-Beach-Boys-Brian-Wilson-looks-frail-pushed-LAX-Airport-wheelchair.html
youtube.com/watch?v=scIncjf0y0E
youtube.com/watch?v=NbxD7hAybLk
youtube.com/watch?v=_mqTBPa_jGY
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2zmbsv/i_am_brian_wilson_cofounder_of_the_beach_boys_amaa/cpkgw67/
youtube.com/watch?v=Lizb37tRW6s
youtube.com/watch?v=JlCOQr7o8A4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Izfg7YU9VgE
youtube.com/watch?v=nLPTNumhyAY
youtube.com/watch?v=JxPj3GAYYZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=xgIrct9oHcU
youtube.com/watch?v=OLdjjXDtA8g
youtube.com/watch?v=wlnL-a5bReE
youtube.com/watch?v=wdik8rP2TYU
youtube.com/watch?v=0GOILNB0O70
youtube.com/watch?v=Xoke1wUwEXY
youtube.com/watch?v=-btv-7GkVk0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Beach Boys definitely had the biggest sad story to happy music ratio

Even from very early on, Brian's mental illness affected him and the band.

Stop.

By the 70s he had become more reclusive, and is said to have stayed in bed for 2 years as his weight ballooned up to 300 pounds.

When Landy was hired to help him, he ended up controlling him and making his life a living hell. He didn't medicate or diagnose him correctly, creating a section of Brian's life that he struggles to remember, as well as lasting damage to his brian.
youtube.com/watch?v=G-K-n5op9nI

Both of his brothers- Dennis and Carl- ended up dying. Since Al Jardine wasn't family and Brian was mentally unable to deal with business, Mike Love ended up controlling the band.
A video to illustrate what Mike Love is like:
1:29
youtube.com/watch?v=oZSAQX2uuUY

Is that quote from Bruce?

No, Van Dyke Parks
And the death of the Wilson brothers not only affected the band, but hurt Brian greatly

Serves them right for having a retard as their songwriter.

how can a genius be a retard?

GET OUT MIKE

Holy fuck this was painful to watch. Mike Love is such a piece of shit.

Brian is what they call a "savant"

;_:

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3873392/The-Beach-Boys-Brian-Wilson-looks-frail-pushed-LAX-Airport-wheelchair.html

I hope you stopped bothering that grill user, but keep posting anime it's appreciated :^)

More important, how do I produce like Brian Wikson? What was his musical background? How did he learn? The guy was literally my age when released Pet Sounds.

honestly, id believe it
despite being deaf in one ear, he had an amazing ear for music
he recorded these harmonies all by himself
youtube.com/watch?v=scIncjf0y0E

Every time I hear something new about the Beach Boys it always reveals Mike Love to be an even bigger cunt than I previously thought.

Jackson C Frank must always be mentioned on the topic of very sad backgrounds.

his dad was a writer/producer and he used to sing harmonies with his brothers, so he grew up in a musical environment
regardless i think it was mostly just natural talent
his brothers grew up the same way and they had talent, but not like brian

Daniel Johnston and Blind Lemon Jefferson have sadder backstories.

He wasn't retarded. He has bipolar disorder that was exacerbated by abuse and psychedelic usage, and then spent several decades alternately going through drug addiction and in abusive care with his therapist

Literally Phil Spector. Brian idolized Phil Spector and his Wall of Sound technique.

whats their story

youtube.com/watch?v=NbxD7hAybLk

I don't know, not many bands have a sadder story than Badfinger. Screwed over by Apple Records and two members committed suicide.

I love their music, but I can't help but to feel a little sad when I hear it.

would be sadder if they didn't get famous or get any recognition.

Just bear in mind that people like Bach would compose literally hundreds of chorales. Writing harmony isn't THAT special. Brian is my favourite pop composer, but he was at most a genius within a POP context, via his ability to make extremely complex writing accessible to everyone

youtube.com/watch?v=_mqTBPa_jGY

something about their music depresses me
happy music in a sad context always makes me sadder than sad music does
i dunno, i find it more depressing when a popular band falls than when a band i like never makes it
its like public humiliation to watch a once young and talked about musician try to continue making a type of music thats not popular anymore
the one exception is when an artist only gains popularity after their death, but thats almost heartwarming in a way

imo being a genius in a pop context is still being a genius in general
pop music has certain constraints that make it seem less impressive than classical. a 3 minute song that went number 1 isnt going to sound as intellectual as a 45 minute symphony, whether or not the ability needed to make it was equal
what makes brian a genius to me is his ability to write, sing, and produce

The fucking nerve of that cunt to ask Brian about Dennis and the Manson family, can they not just leave the poor man alone?

Same thing happened on his reddit ama and people got pissy when he predictably didn't answer
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2zmbsv/i_am_brian_wilson_cofounder_of_the_beach_boys_amaa/cpkgw67/

That reddit AMA was such a mess

>George sleeping with Ringos wife
Oh shit really?

Honestly I think it's really sad that Brian Wilson was so sick during arguably the worst decade to be a "pop" figure. The interview where Brian goes on about Phil Spector is a perfect example of what I mean. The whole band and interviewer feel so fake, I'm sure that wouldve been hell for Brian

I know it gets boogieman'd a lot but seriously, fuck redd*t

>He married model Pattie Boyd, one of the most beautiful women of their generation only to lose her largely through his own carelessness; when George had an affair with Ringo’s wife Maureen, Pattie went off with his good friend Eric Clapton.
The whole Pattie Boyd thing is the REALLY interesting/depressing story. I could tell you about it if you want.
Btw, here's George singing a song about Ringo's wife, Maureen:
youtube.com/watch?v=Lizb37tRW6s

ringo cucked lel

at least we got this amazing exchange out of it

yeah but you can put brian wilson in almost every situation and take something funny or nice away from it

John Fahey had a pretty sad story.

Here's an excerpt from a story he wrote about in his book "How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life". He had been fishing with Bukka White when he caught the most powerful fish he'd ever caught, but was struggling so hard to pull it in, that he deliriously fantasized about his past and how his father molested him.

1/4

True. "What's your favorite movie?" has to be one of the most boring questions ever, but I
>L I T E R A L L Y
cried with laughter when I read this exchange.

FUCK, hang on.

Jesus Christ
That was awful to read (and not just because I had to turn my laptop sideways to see it)
I feel like sexual abuse always seems so much more horrible than all other types of abuse

Goddammit. How?
Try again.

Keep working on it, slugger.

hell be fine

2/4

marvin gaye was murdered by his own dad, so there's that

don't you dare......

D-did he catch the fish?

NAME ONE GENIUS THAT AINT CRAZY

WHERE'S 4?

He suffered alcoholism and chronic fatigue syndrome in his later life, and died at 61 because he drank too much Coke.
Here's some footage of one of his later shittier performances.

youtube.com/watch?v=JlCOQr7o8A4

holy mother of kek

>Not posting the album Eric Clapton made about Ringo's wife
Pleb
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Izfg7YU9VgE

Fuckin ass.

Yeah, it was the biggest gar either of them had ever seen. It freaked John the fuck out, but Bukka shot it in the head to make John feel safer.

When he got older, he managed to get a few gigs while living in motels and painting abstract art with his ass-cheeks.

>YOU'RE JUST LIKE MIKE LOVE BUT YOU WANNA BE
>BRIAN WILSON, BRIAN WILSON
youtube.com/watch?v=nLPTNumhyAY

That's about George's wife, the incredibly beautiful Pattie Boyd
Another interesting fact, when Pattie left George for Eric after their marriage crumbled, Eric cheated on her and got another woman pregnant, ruining their relationship
The child that came out of that pregnancy ended falling off a balcony, inspiring the song Tears in Heaven
youtube.com/watch?v=JxPj3GAYYZ0

George's album Dark Horse is the aftermath of that whole ordeal, arguably one of his worst albums and tours but definitely a personal favorite for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=xgIrct9oHcU

>and died at 61 because he drank too much Coke.
Snorting whiskey and drinkimg cocaine

Well he tried to quit drinking alcohol by replacing it with drinking Coke, and he ended up fat and diabetic, which led to a shitload of health problems later in life, ultimately leading to a death due to complications from heart surgery.
I don't think he actually ever did any illicit drugs.

holy fuck

Sometimes I wonder if people who are more prone to drug addictions can be more prone to food addictions
Brian was also having his life wrecked by drugs, but food was what almost killed him
Not to mention Marlon Brando who went from being physically perfect to morbidly obese, which is essentially what killed him

>I'm a total ladies man haha..I like girls lol.
>I'm not gay I swear, I love women heh..

FUCK MIKE LOVE

Disgusting

Reminder that I know There's An Answer is the greatest song of all time

>get a huge studio
>get a massive echo chamber
>get $10,000 worth of ribbon mics
>get the best session musicians in LA
Any questions?

Woops, I meant "I'm Waiting for the Day"

>what's your favorite flavor of cake
>cheese cake
>what's your favorite flavor of pizza
>cheese pizza
a man who knows what he likes

mike love reminds me of a cruel ringmaster while brian is the sad elephant being forced to perform

Woops, I meant surfs up

whoops i was right the first time

Woops, I meant She Knows Me Too Well

Correct

>NO GAY HERE

Dude Kike love is FUCKING UNDERRATED

BEST SINGER OF THE GROUP IMHO

youtube.com/watch?v=OLdjjXDtA8g

>The Beach Boys, after all, were Republicans

Always makes me laugh that these hash smoking acid dropping meditating boys became boring old men.

Bruce is actually a huge Brian supporter- he was the one who showed John and Paul Pet Sounds so enthusiastically- but for whatever reason he's in Mike's band now ?

to clarify, hes just talking about mike/bruce
i know al jardine cares about global warming/environmental issues, which isnt typically a republican thing

>but for whatever reason he's in Mike's band now?
probably because, despite his assholery, mikes good at making money
also, they're republican buddies!
youtube.com/watch?v=wlnL-a5bReE

youtube.com/watch?v=wdik8rP2TYU

Crazy story. Any idea where it happened? I live about an hours drive from Bukka White's birthplace. I'm wondering if this all took place near my neck of the woods.

youtube.com/watch?v=0GOILNB0O70

fucking LOVE badfinger's music, they didn't fail

youtube.com/watch?v=Xoke1wUwEXY

for some reason "No Matter What" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" are connected in my mind
i think its because both songs are played in the same types of tv show/movie scenes

I meant to include this song in my original post, but I forgot to link it:

youtube.com/watch?v=-btv-7GkVk0

yeah, you forgot
>be an absolute musical prodigy who wrote #1 hits before he was even able to drink

how do you think he got all that shit?

too true
its not like his music was great because he had all those tools
he needed those those tools because his music was so great

someone on here edited this snippet into the original if anyone wants to hear it, i have it. it's fantastic

nah, that's wrong. obviously writing "harmony" isn't special, because any two notes put together is harmony technically, but bach wrote stunning music within the confines of baroque music, which was somewhat limited. he absolutely could not write something like surfs up, #1 because of the church and the people he was employed by and #2 because the precursors and influences to brian weren't available to bach.

it's entirely possible that bach may have been more of a musical genius than brian, but we'll never know, because he was alive hundreds of years earlier.

regardless, bach is clearly a genius, and i personally think brian is a genius, maybe if somewhat less prolific

pls post it

What site is this from?