Spiritual Jazz > Post-Bop > Hard-bop > Free Jazz > Big Band > Afro/Cuban/Latin-Jazz > Cool Jazz >>> Fusion

Spiritual Jazz > Post-Bop > Hard-bop > Free Jazz > Big Band > Afro/Cuban/Latin-Jazz > Cool Jazz >>> Fusion

How true is this ranked?

Pretty close to what I think, but I don't hate fusion

As long as it starts with
every other genre>spiritual jazz> etc.
then I agree

Free jazz>hard bop>spiritual jazz>fusion>big band>the rest doesn't matter

Post-bop > free Jazz > bebop > hard bop > fusion > cool jazz

Latin Jazz doesn't really make sense as a category because you could group pretty much all of it into one of those other categories. Spiritual Jazz same thing. As a side note almost all Jazz labeled "spiritual Jazz" that I've heard has been pure shit. Except for some Coltrane.

good ranke

it's odd in the way that digging spiritual and free tend to go much closer together

but still, there is a certain logic to it. I do get the strong feeling that the ranker is limited in his knowledge of spiritual or free, but it's conceivable that stars align this way

I recommend this person listen to a much wider spectrum of free jazz than the generic Machine Gun/Ascension/Ornette's Free Jazz "cacophony"-oriented stuff

>Spiritual Jazz

lol rym kiddy is saying a made up genre again

What are spiritual jazz and cool jazz? I've heard Pharaoh Sanders labelled as spiritual jazz, but I kinda thought he was more post-bop? Is it like jazz with the addition of Eastern instrumentation n shit like that? And I always pictured cool jazz as like Miles Davis' early stuff like Round Midnight? Am I wrong about that? Cuz I love that shit but don't know much else with similar vibes to that

>bebop "above" hard bop
that's interesting.
Alice Coltrane, Pharoah, David S. Wire, Batsumi are all quite good tbqh senpai.
wider spectrum of free jazz than the generic Machine Gun/Ascension/Ornette's Free Jazz "cacophony"-oriented stuff
Any recs? Sonny Sharrock's Black Woman blew me away

Free Improvisation > Free Jazz > Hard-Bop > Swing > Dixieland > Bebop > Post-Bop > ECM Jazz > Cool Jazz > Fusion

No but seriously what is spiritual jazz like does anyone even know

Spiritual>Cool>Afro/cuban/Latin>Free Jazz>Post-Bop>Hard-Bop>Big band

but i don't hate big band

Spiritual Jazz is a style of Avant-Garde Jazz music which emerged in the 1960s. It is closely associated with the musical and spiritual philosophy developed by John Coltrane in the mid-1960s (manifested as early as his seminal A Love Supreme album) which was passed on to his collaborators Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders.

Stylistically, spiritual jazz is marked by a mixture of jazz with approximations of ethnic music styles (often a blend of styles evocative of African, Indian, and East Asian musical traditions), religious music of non-Christian traditions, and the ecstatic, transcendental aspects of Free Jazz. This radical style was closely linked to various African-American political and spiritual movements, such as the Nation of Islam and Afro-Centrism, the introduction of Zen philosophy and yoga in America, a resurgence of Egyptology, as well as the Civil Rights and Black Power movements.

If you ask any jazz musician about spiritual jazz they'll have no idea what you're talking about. It's a label added by pop critics who like to think they understand jazz

This. Spiritual Jazz is totally arbitrary. If you asked some jazz musicians they'd say that all Jazz is spiritual.

some1 rec me some zen jazz pls

>It's a label added by pop critics who like to think they understand jazz

who cares lol
all labeling is reductive and mostly pointless. at least is a term who associates a free jazz type of music with heavy use of tribal elements
you guys are bitching about nothin'

Ok I think I get it. So it's basically post-bop with ethnic styles and new age presentation. I didn't know that was a separate style from post-bop

>afro/cuban/latin that low
i feel bad for you desu

Yea, you got it right. Some may argue isn't a genre at all, but as far as taggin' goes, I think it's a fair separation. Sonically speaking, its really unique

I haven't stumbled upon remarkable afro/cuban/latin jazz records to be honest. Which is odd since I'm a big fan of tribal percussions and flavored beats.

progressive big band is where its at bros (not sure what the fuck determines what this is i literally found out its an actual genre tag on rym)

Wouldn't that describe a lot of Mingus' work? It definitely has a big band feel to it.

free improv> free jazz? post bop> hard bop> spiritual> latin/afro jazz>spiritual Jazz>cool Jazz >good fusion>>>>bad fusion>>>>>smooth jazz

i usually throw mingus in the third stream category personally. but yeah, progressive big band, experimental big band, third stream, avant garde jazz, all mingus

i think that spiritual jazz is a valid genre with a specific style but i also think its really something made up by jazz critics and memesters who dont actually know jazz

"spiritual jazz" fuck off
bossa nova is the only good jazz