Dylan's Nobel

So, Sup Forums what are your toughts on Dylan's nobel? i know this has been talked here before, but i want to know your arguments, both pro and against. My nephew has a debate in school about this and i tought i should ask people who actually care about this.

Other urls found in this thread:

expectingrain.com/dok/int/shelton1978.07.29.html
soundcloud.com/timheidecker/talkin-nobel-peace-prize-bob-dylan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just want to point out before the thread takes off (if it does) that Tagore was the first song writer to win the Nobel Prize, back in 1913, so Dylan's isn't unprecedented.

dylan hasn't accepted the award
so it means NOTHING

I believe that he is a fuckin good composer,but for deserve a nobel?Not.

> i tought i should ask people who actually care about this
Wrong place

kek

he got it for a stupid reason and he knows it

why?
>stupid reason
and that stupid reason being?

I don't really care either way. He's already credited as one of the greatest songwriters of all time, he doesn't need an award to confirm it.

name one non-scientist who received a nobel prize for a reason that wasn't stupid

martin luther king jr

The artist themselves doesn't want the award
that says it all

I'll agree that songwriting is literature, but giving im the award for literature still seems off, mainly because it dissregards the entire musical aspect of his work.

I can't say if his songwriting is actually good enough to warrant a nobel prize. I'd guess not, though.

Dylan's almost always been hesitant when it comes to awards.

Its not. He had about two or three great albums and thirty shit ones. The nobel was for blonde on blonde. Part of why he is so butthurt is he feels no connection to those early albums.

I'm alright with it. I wouldn't say it's undeserved.

He's been a name tossed around for it for well over a decade. Not that surprising.
The Nobel has made questionable decisions, but plenty of writers have been deservingly recognized. Or do you think Hesse, Eliot, O'Neill, Yeats, Hemingway, etc. are undeserving of that kind of recognition?

>two or three great albums
>only two or three
Oh you.

Jean-Paul Sartre not only did not accept the same award, but refused it. Yet no one questions that he is a laureate

holy shit nigger are you ching chong?????

bump

The nobel is their own committee. Its like if pitchfork or anthony fantano gave it a good review. Its only as serious as you want to take it.

I kind of wish people would shut up about it.

Or it's the other way around

Leonard Cohen has a great quote about this. He said giving Bob Dylan an award for being a great songwriter is like giving Mt. Everest a medal for being the highest mountain.

Because he was a "safe" choice who society has already venerated as a genius.

I think this sums it up

When it comes to opinions, I think Blonde on Blonde alone definitely has an argument for it. I don't remember another album praised so much for its songwriting.

But it was clearly a controversial choice

Besides, if it's such a "safe" choice then that just means he should have been chosen already.

But he also wrote poems, short stories, etc.
And I'm guessing that he was awarded based on that.

>Prize motivation: "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition"

Tagore? American song tradition?

he deserves it

interesting that he hasn't said anything though

Thought you were talking about Dylan, since people tend to bring up the fact that he doesn't just write lyrics

I'm not a fan of it, but moreso just because I think it downplays his value as a musician.

Dylan is not a writer or a poet, he is a songwriter. I'm not making that distinction to somehow imply that being a songwriter is inherently inferior, but just that its a different artform alltogether.

Obviously he's great with words, but those words are always there to service the music, and vice versa. They're two wholly inseparable parts, and I thinks it's actually disrespectful to him to only praise one side of it. All this does is just reinforce the idea that Dylan's value lies solely in his lyrics, which is just wrong.

Dylan himself has said he thinks of himself more as a poet than a musician.

source?

even so, he's been known to contradict himself all the time, and I definitely recall him voicing frustrations similar to what I wrote, albeit in a roundabout way.

Don't think Dylan wants to be labeled as anything.

Robert Shelton interview from 1978.
expectingrain.com/dok/int/shelton1978.07.29.html
>I asked him now if he had become any more comfortable at being called "a poet" these days. "Very much so", Dylan replied. "I consider myself a poet first and a musician second. I live like a poet and I'll die like a poet."

>Dylan's Nobel
more like nerlens noel lmao

Barack Obama

Eh, it's been almost 40 years since then, I wouldn't hold him to those words, but even so, his own view of his place within art doesn't change my view of it.

soundcloud.com/timheidecker/talkin-nobel-peace-prize-bob-dylan

Nobels don't worth shit as far as I'm concerned.
Glad that Dylan didn't show up to receive it.