I've read a couple different Stephen King books like It, and Under the Dome...

I've read a couple different Stephen King books like It, and Under the Dome. I've also read a couple short story books of his like Nightmares and Dreamscapes, and Full Dark, No Stars. all were pretty good, It being the exception because it was epic. Want to start the Dark Tower series but I don't know anyone personally that's read them. What do you fucks think? Worth the investment to buy and read them all?

Other urls found in this thread:

slashfilm.com/dark-tower-movie-filming/
cinemablend.com/m/new/Dark-Tower-Producer-Has-Blunt-Message-Who-Don-t-Like-Idris-Elba-105537.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They are coming out with a movie in a few years and I always like seeing how the two differ.
Great reads and epic story. Gets a bit slogging at times but for the grand story it's worth it.
They are however casting a nigger as the lead in the movie and it will ruin the film for sure.

shameless self bump.

will it be multiple parts? i believe there are 8 books and counting...? im not entirely sure

I read them, it's a decent read. I mean, it's 7 books so strap in for that. Lots of backstory and such but I really enjoyed it...except for the very very end. Read them.

This.

I love them more than most fans. It's very nearly pointless to read them if you don't frequent King. Everything is a reference. You will know if you want to finish the series after book two.

It won't make it past the first movie, which will be books 2.45-4.75

the only King Books ive read i OPd. you still think i could get into it?

Definitly worth of reading...I read it few years ago,when sixth book wasnt published yet,and it was awesome.Thinking about start reading from begining againg...Anyways, if you have chance,yes ,buy em

dark tower is best book series ive read and ive read harry potter, lord of the rings, twilight, etc. the story is incredible. but i highly advise you to take king's advice on the epilogue to the 7th book

First 3 are very good, but it starts to decline after that. Finale was not terrible.

noted. thanks user. today was a good day to be OP. now someone call me a faggot already.

Forgot to mention that im not a big fan of King,Clive Barker is way better imho...

You will probably be dark tower wiking . Nothing wrong with that.

The stand is a major reference, Insomnia is incredibly relevant to the ending of the final book.

Read little sisters of Elluria for a glimpse into the world, read the Talisman if you want (in my opinion) a better construction of the story and setting.

sorry for losing trayvon, such a fine young black gunslinger. so heres a black roland deschain, fuck you stephen king

read the first three. kind of convoluted writing from an author who was never meant to venture into the science fiction/fantasy realm. Dan Simmons does it better.

Dark tower series was ok, but really his other older books are much better imo

>Stephen King books
You should outgrown Steven King before you get to College.

are these books all developed in the same universe?

the first one is epic as fuck.

from there on it varies from dull to good to great and back to shitty

the ending was good. I loved it.

but by ending i literally mean the last couple pages

God damn it they couldn't get one of the million chiseled white guys to play Roland. It just had to be some random black guy and they're going to change the whole story to make it work.

Fuck, I mean race issues were a bug thing in the first couple books. Roland being anything but white is going to make it all kinds of weird

Fuck this gay earth.

1-3: fucking amazing, it will pull you right in
4: origin story. Not bad but breaks the flow
5-6: meh
7: OH GOD WHY

Every book of Stephen kings take place in the dark tower universe.

The stand has the same antagonist, insomnia has a character that enters the books, THE TALISMAN is Stephen King playing around with the idea before starting the actual series .

A large majority of King's work is in one way or another referential to his other books, Its just a little somethin somethin for hardcore fans, not really essential to catch it all.

Better off just reading his other older books
The Stand
The Talisman
Black House
Needful Things
Firestarter
'Salem's Lot

Yes. That series is one of the best I've ever read, it is definitely worth the time and money. Changed the way I think about things a lot.
10/10 would definitely recommend.
It also ties in a lot with his other works, which makes them that much cooler to read.

noted. ill look into the other books before hand. like it was said earlier. wiki would be helpful.

I read the series when I was 12 and now am super nostalgic about it.

After The Stand, these are my favorites of his. I'd rank them:
6/7

sounds like I'm going to have to read some more King before I can really appreciate these books for what they are.

that really depends on your concept of the universe. Imagine the sand of the Mohaine Desert, which you crossed to find me, and imagine a trillion universes - not worlds by universes - encapsulated in each grain of that desert; and within each universe an infinity of others. If that's the scale you're thinking on, then yes, all of Stephen King's books take place in the same universe.

yeah i regret not reading more of his before reading the series. I got some of the easter eggs from some of his other works I had read but I still missed a lot. I feel some of the boring parts would have been way better had I known the "true backstory" to some characters and scenarios

Honestly, I think it would help to read these first in order to understand the references in the others.

>>Dude,thats deep

Kings work with Flagg = cumming
Kings work without Flagg = fail

Randal Flagg is one of my top 3 fictional antagonists, but most of his other work is just B horror film scripting (which has been adapted to produce many B horror films).

You should read the following books before starting The Dark Tower (I wish I had):
1. The Stand
2. Desperation
3. Insomnia
4. Salem's Lot

Then, for the series:
1. The Gunslinger
2. The Drawing Of The Three
3. The Wastelands
4. Wizard and Glass
5. The Wind Through the Keyhole
6. Wolves of the Calla
7. Songs of Susanna
8. The Dark Tower

They are phenominal.
First one's confusing, but it makes sense as you go into the second and third.
Definitely worth the read my friend.

Themaninblackfledacrossthedesertandthegunslingerfollowed.awesome

Eddie is the best character in the whole goddamn series. Also the tick tock man is brutal. And Blaine is a pain.

Andy The Messenger Robot (many other functions)

fuck all you idiot pleb children

the dark tower was interesting as fuck-- even king's fuck-ups were interesting.

it doesn't matter if you read bits and pieces of his oeuvre AND THEN read the dark tower series OR read the dark tower series and become compelled to read more of his oeuvre: you'll get a good king education and you'll be better for it.

There are a lot of people who obsess over this book series (I did, for a while) and it's worth obsessing over as long as you eventually realize it is NOT the end-all be-all of literature (or King, for that matter)

honestly OP, just read the gunslinger and see if you're drawn in. It's not that long

Fuckin ROONT!

They start off with a few good scenes here and there, just enough to get you interested.
Then the books become 5 times longer and fuck all happens. It's seriously shit. But then again King hasn't written anything good since the 80's.

if you like kings style so far you should definitely read it. under the dome was a low budget version of another book of his "Tommyknockers". a lot of king fans don't like it, but I would definitely suggest you give that a go too.

The Stand ties in to Dark Tower books pretty heavily and is an incredible book in its own right as well.

I would also recommend "Revival" by him if you've caught the bug, its much lighter and shorter than his other books, at least before the last chapter or so. but its paced very well and did a great job of keeping me interested and engaged.

get the audiobooks if you can for those, as king books have some of the best audio translations that I've ever heard. I know the dark tower series has a good torrent on either TPB or KAT.

definitely read dark tower though. best series I've ever read. its a story about stories without being super in your face about it.

1-3 were amazing. Then he stopped writing them. Got hit by a car. Had the affirmation of what it would be like if he died and not finished the series. 4-7 seemed like rushed, slapped together, filler shit with long boring stretches. Highly recommend the first 3

I started with Wizard and Glass
was stoked to read the entire series
wasn't blown away by his epic

i would recommend it to Stephen King junkies
but not to casuals

Fuckn sucks Roland loses his fingers to a mutant lobster
Pre cool, someone of importance in SK's universe dies though

Under the Dome was utter shit that spent hundreds of pages building up subplots that went nowhere and culminated with a contrived scheme to get rid of everyone but the main characters and a cringeworthy twist.

Read The Stand

Read literally anything by Clive Barker instead. Better fear, more imaginative, less fanatic fanbase

naah. a bunch are explicably "tied-in" but this is just through the recurrence of characters. It's p cool but you don't need to know a thing about the King "universe" to enjoy DT

1-3 were amazing. Then he stopped writing them. Got hit by a car. Had the affirmation of what it would be like if he died and not finished the series. 4-8 seemed like rushed, slapped together, filler shit with long boring stretches. Highly recommend the first 3

Read to try the stuff he wrote as Richard Batchman.
The Long Walk is brilliant. Just don't drop below 4 mph.......

you have an obligation to finish them all if you're in for the ride

Why ask? Just read the gunslinger and figure out if you want to read the next one or not. It was years and years before he wrote the next book, so the gunslinger can be read solo if need be.

Read more books from S. King, I was told there's a lot of references from his other books.
And It's ture, everybook has a little references from others and so on. Read more books before entering the Dark Tower

Pretty much this. Dark Tower is sort of like King's gift to his fans who have stuck with him, reading his books for decades. It ties them all together in a way.

I know it wasn't mentioned by OP, but I thoroughly enjoyed "The Eyes of the Dragon." I'd recommend it as a breather in-between his denser books.

This.
I read The Gunslinger back in the 80's.
It was rough waiting for a new DT book to come out several times.
They are fucking epic.
As stated before, the first one was fantastic.
You'll have a fun ride & something to read for a while.

Enjoy!
>go, then. there are other worlds than these

>Eyes of the Dragon
if you read the forward you'd know that was written for his daughter, who was 12 at the time.
not nearly as scary as what he usually wrote.
great story, though

you still here, OP?

just got back. thought it died on me. but after all these comments honestly im about to binge hard on some King for the next couple months. might even just go to the library to avoid spending a shit load of money.

Night Shift is also pretty good, go read it if you haven't

I'm on the fifth book right now, and I personally think it's been pretty great. Sometimes it gets slow cause he will just start describing everything and go on and on. Also, don't care for one of the characters. Great series so far though.

My favorite of his more recent novels is Duma Key. Kind of different from his normal work, as in more low key.

Paperbacks are always an option.
Or I'm sure you could find them used.
The last one I borrowed from the library &
I'm glad I did.

Have Fun

It's the nigger, right?
You don't like the nigger.

I started from the fifth book, got caught and read the whole series but the 7th
I don't want to read the end

Duma Key is pretty good too

I can't believe they're going to have one play Roland in the movie.

They've been talking about a DT movie since before the series of books even ended.
King clearly stated that it's not something he wanted to do.
>for reasons
There was serious talk of an animated series on HBO,
but I haven't heard or seen anything about it, lately.

They did remake IT & it's in two movies.
One where they're children
& the 2nd when they're adults.

>we all float down here

The best story is the last rung on the ladder
it left me a fuckload of feels

Ever read The Tommyknockers?

OP here. that was the first King novel i read and holy hell man. it was a trip. i will actively avoid any town with the name Derry.

slashfilm.com/dark-tower-movie-filming/

You got me haha

the very end of the gunslinger changed my life.

That's my favorite book.
I've read it like 6 or 7 times.

I'm kind of excited for the movie b/c it won't be some watered down tv crap,
but I don't think it will live up to the horror I felt when I first read the novel.
I actually had to put the book down b/c I was so freaked out.
>I was 12
>and what was that?

↑ ↑ ↑ this one I COULDN'T put down!

thanks for the link
now I know I'll wait & pirate it
I fucking hate McConaughey.

I thought user was trolling when he said Roland would be played by a Nig Nog.

Kind of throws off the 'forgotten the face of your father' thing

Black House is the sequel

I am aware, but thanks

Seeing as how his different books are being discussed... What's everyone's opinions on IT?

I thought it was a 6/10:

+ Good character development.
+ Genuinely creepysometimes.
+ Well thought out at parts.
+ Interesting ideas.

- The scene in the sewers, I can't justify. If he can't scare or shock, he disgusts.
- Ending felt contrived and dragged on for at least a hundred more pages.
- He just can't end books damn it.
- I know it's his thing but I dislike self-inserts on stories.
- Far, far too long.
- The introduction of an alternate being to be killed off so quickly just seeks stupid.

Mathew mconahey is playing the man in black

Yup.

cinemablend.com/m/new/Dark-Tower-Producer-Has-Blunt-Message-Who-Don-t-Like-Idris-Elba-105537.html

yup & he's going to ruin what will probably be an already terrible movie

M.M.- I’m not a big sci-fi buff… this one came along, though. The man in black, I looked at that and said, ‘Oh, I can be whoever I want to be in this one.’ I’m not sure who I’m going to be yet.

Such a fucking moron. When his looks go, he'll be on welfare

OP here and imo "It" remains one of the few books I've read where i developed a real understanding for the fear and emotions of the characters. It was really fucking creepy and enveloping All of what you said i agree with. it was drawn out near the end. he could have wrapped it up in 800 pages.