Does anyone here burn firewood for heat in the winter or is it mostly a Canadian and Nordic thing?

Does anyone here burn firewood for heat in the winter or is it mostly a Canadian and Nordic thing?

It's common in Michigan outside of the big urban centers of the southeast part of the state.

Do you mean as a comfort or as a matter of necesity? In northern Mexico we burn wood to grill chicken

Why do people still use wood for heat? It's inefficient as fuck and a big waste on resources.

We do, i will give you a hint, the farther north and farther south you are, the colder it gets

Yeah it may be a waste of resources but when you experience a Canadian winter, you'll understand that oil or electric heat is not enough to keep you comfortable.

Both. I know in parts of Europe they have fireplaces just for the sake of having a dimly lit room at night.

Nordics burn bodies instead for heat to stay in touch with their barbaric pagan instincts

I do in Oregon, but my house is from the 1950's.

There is also an electric heating system, but the fireplace is hotter.

>big waste on resources
How is it worse than burning oil or using electricity generated by burning coal?

We make bonfires at the cabin in the summer.
But I'm guessing that's not quite what you're talking about.

>burning firewood for heat

18th centurty tier.

I have a fireplace but the gas leaks and I don't want to die and/or blow up the house

It's often forbidden in big cities to avoid China-tier smog.

Gas and even fucking coal give more heat than these dead trees.

t. the coldest place on Earth outside of Antarctic

Yeah at least wood is somewhat renewable. Might take several decades to grow a big enough tree but oil still takes millions of years so wood is still a better option. We would probably still be using steam engines if we weren't so impatient and could wait for it to heat up.

I thought they burn churches

I'm referring to any use of firewood since it seems to be a dying source of fuel.

wisconsin here

not common, but some in the country do it.

wood stoves are fucking based and comfy

That's your gas tanks? Hahaha so small

I do it, WA state here. Wood is free as long as I take the time to cut and split it.

Most Romanians live in the countryside, and most peasants use wood for heat, so no, it's not just a Nordic thing.

Oh hey a Romanian. Hi, how are you?

I collect weapons that your military uses.

>Hahaha so small

300 liters is more than enough for a small house.

Many Americans have wood-burning fire places, even in the suburbs. However, most of them are happy, sociable, and well-adjusted and thus wouldn't be caught dead here

Lake and ice niggers in southern Chile do this, but in big cities I think they use gas powered heaters. Anyway, fuck them. They should just layer up instead of burning fossil fuels. They like to wear tshirts in winter instead of wearing sweaters. Fucking hell I swear we should pass through the rope everything north and south of glorious Santiago.

No, it's not needed in most of Australia. However in winter sometimes I get a fire going, people sit around, drink, eat, talk, etc.

Northern california here.
Got a nice fire going in the stove right now.

Yep, though not as often anymore. Winters have been getting steadily warmer in the past 15 years.

I will use it this year perhaps.
I used to heat with coal but all my neighbors complain that it stinks up the whole area so the town mayor asked to please heat with something else.
But good coal burns gets super hot an burns very long, wood only for a few hours with less heat.

we do

i belive its also common in russia

Thanks to global warming, I'll never need to heat my home again.

My parents use their fireplace daily during winter. Even though they got district heating which is cheaper in the long run than electric my father especially likes to have options for just in case.
What if district heating goes down, there's pipe rupture or something which takes days to fix? Fireplace is still there so house stays warm.
Plus he calculated that using firewood saves money as well, day or two of work of using chainsaw and you got enough firewood for the fireplace and for sauna for the whole winter.

t. morocho negrores

In Serbo-Croatian speaking areas that's a norm

Only in the countryside.

>he says while using 19th century tier heating
It's an upgrade, I guess.

>a small house
Hah!

>I collect weapons that your military uses.

All the stereotypes are true.
kanker

Yes of course - how else do u keep warm?

Although sometimes use gas

I have a fireplace at home but honestly I only ever use it for the atmosphere. It's not like it can be used to warm the whole house afterall, so you still need heaters, and if you have heaters open fire becomes inefficient and redundant.

>burning wood to keep warm
>burning gas to keep warm

In what year are you guys living?

>I collect weapons that your military uses.
what a qt kind of autism

and yes, we use wood for heat, but only for start a fire in the oven, then we burn a coal.

Chop chop my friend.

Yes, and a lot of other people around here do it too.

I use wood chips

we use to do it a lot until it was made illegal 'cus shit air in the capital.

here anyone with a house does
I personally use wood briquette in combination with firewood, burn it in a large fireplace that is a part of the pic related system.
Ive only seen one other system at my friends place, he and his dad heat the entire top floor of the house while i with my own system heat the entire house, i have a stronger pump.
Its fucking brilliant. One wood burning stove, or a fireplace can heat up just the room it is in. But when your stove heats up every radiator, its a different song.

Yes. It is quite common actually, as you can't find anything comfier during winter than fire in the fireplace.

Also in the pic is red hot inttikamiina which also runs on wood.

I unironically only use my PC and lavalamp to heat my room, but then again I like to wear hoodies inside the house. Living in a commieblock I have central heating but I never turn it on

UNCOMMON
N
C
O
M
M
O
N

>UNCOMMON
nigger pls

It is! Days of lurking on this shitty board can go by without seeing that flag.

It's uncommon alright.

No actually solid fuel central heating is very common here and a modern pellet/wood/wood chip boiler generally has an efficiency of 85%

I do desu

Wood is probably cheaper than gas even if you don't own forest, but it's higher maintenance

Sure they do, but mostly in the countryside. In cities it's mostly just for comfiness of fireplace, rather than acutal heating.

>tfw no more -30C winter evenings