Why did Australia and South Africa keep the British accent while Canada and U.S. didnt?

Why did Australia and South Africa keep the British accent while Canada and U.S. didnt?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E
youtube.com/watch?v=wuyYWQ5zwUg
vocaroo.com/i/s1L6uI88LBDy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

British accent is the true English.

welll shit sherlock

we are still white, that's why

Because not only bongostanian made it to the new world, there where swedish colonist, german, irish, italian, greeks, etc. It was bound to change, specially as new european immigrants started to come on compared to say heading to australia (unless you where a convict).

you guess

thats "no" shit, you fucking weird ass foreigner.

The British cockney accent developed in the 1800s after American independence. The accent Americans currently have (one of them anyway) is closer to the original British accent a the time of independence. Yanks and Pom's had the same accent during the war.

We are actually the only ones with actual British accents

Australian and South African sound about as British as North American.

Really, intedestering

You did, it's just that the english accent has changed with the times and newer waves of migration keep an accent closer to the newer british accents.

Southern murrikans and islander murrikans have the original accent of murrikan, some states like california and Texas got their accents butchered by the germans others like NY and NJ by the jews and italians.

t. I actually did a paper on this shit, comparing murrika with chile

youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

Tangier, Chile and Islas Canarias are Island examples of old accents

>I actually did a paper on this shit
Why?

So wait, the southern American accent is the old British sounding one?

yup the rednecks are the true british masters after all.

Now ain't that something

t. never talked with a south african

There are lots of British accents.

Not him, but it will be interesting since Chile has been isolated literally for centuries, probably preserving the original castillian. Everywhere else in southamerica it got influenced by slaves (we never had negros because they were expensive and we had no moneys), or non castillian speaking europeans. It would be easier to isolate primitive castillian speaking communities here than anywhere else in south america. If you can't understand why Chile is an island look at a topographic map.

t.never talked to aussies and south africans

I'm from southern "country side" chile. I speak with an accent that in the capital is the equivalent of a southern murrikan accent (it didnt help that i sing on a lynyrd skynyrd cover band. So very early i cared about accents and how they developed. I travel a lot, so it helped my curiosity a lot, so when i had a big fight with my teacher over if the southern spanishaccent influenced chile (he said yes) and i said NO i was really interested. I was right, i will post it eventually since i did put a lot on enfasis in murrikan stuff, but i need it to be pair reviewed first. Pic related. Andalucia is "southern spain" we barely got any, it's just that they keep their some of their old accent, just like we and Canarias got a lot of the old shit.

Now, chileans DO modulate like shit. Our accent is the oldest. But that doesnt justify speaking so fast.

This. stay woke people

or read this post

Listen to the girl youtube.com/watch?v=wuyYWQ5zwUg

Not the guy, that it's chilean as fuck

Basado. Siempre me llamó la atención lo mismo, pero no sufro del autismo necesario para haber llegado a plantearlo en una tesis. Porfa tíralo acá en alguno de los hilos de lenguaje /lang/ Admirable perro. Wena.

Compared to Mexican Spanish, I don't hear much of an accent.

>The accent Americans currently have (one of them anyway) is closer to the original British accent a the time of independence. Yanks and Pom's had the same accent during the war.
this is total bullshit btw

But are you able to? Can you differentiate a peruvian from an ecuatorian, or a venezuelan from a colombian, or a mexican from a salvadorian?

Actually, if you talk about Jalisco, they do have lots of similarities with canarios and chileans, i have no idea why, i havent focused on them.

divergent evolution and different settlement histories in different parts of the colonies

Tomaste en consideración la migración de canarias a venezuela y vice versa?

Venezuelans and porteños from Montevideo and uruguay and cuyanos were really important.

I mainly hear Mexican Spanish, so it would be difficult for me to differentiate Peruvian from Ecuadorian. I worked with a guy from Panama for awhile an his Spanish was different than this. It is very clean like Northwestern US compared to the Southern English.

Actually he's kind of right, American English is much more conservative than British English both lexically and phonetically.

no, he isn't

accents like geordie and tyke are far closer to middle english due to the old norse influence on the dialect

Both because it's been a long time since 1776, before modern Received Pronunciation (i.e., the "British accent") was fully formed. Also General American is deliberately based on the accent of the Midwest, which has had some German influence.

Kinda. We're far more conservative, and closer to the "original" English of that era (which was never a single dialect, in all fairness) than say Cockney or Estuary English, but West Country and Geordie seems to take the cake in oldness.

They are very different accents in castillian. Don't want to sound like an asshole but this input is in no way helpful to this thread.

vocaroo.com/i/s1L6uI88LBDy

My shitty and only input in this thread. But before goinh to bed i wanted to do something