Classical music is so evidently superior to all other kinds of music...

Classical music is so evidently superior to all other kinds of music, yet we keep lowering the standards when we talk about other types of music, to avoid the uncomfortable situation where the butt rock dude or the druggy EDM boy gets anal pained when they are told the great masters are better than their shitty hedonistic hero.

Instead of white guilt, in the music world there is "classical" guilt. We keep lowering the standards for other kinds of music to compensate and preserve our dream of marxist culturalism. Of perfect musical relativism. Guess what? It isn't true and the compositional talent and imagination displayed, which is all that counts in the end when we have to say what is worth being saved and what not, is infinitely superior in classical music than in any other form of music.

If your shitty pop muzak is an 8 what the fuck are Beethoven's late string quartets? a 400? most music is barely a 1 to 3, the Beatles fall in here and so do most other popular music with very few exceptions that reach a 4, even a 5. Bartok string quartets would be a 6, 2 degrees of magnitude higher you have works by Brahms and other great masters. Then 9 and 10 are reserved for the highest achievements of human race like Beethoven's late string quartets or his Missa Solemnis or Mass in B minor by Bach or his Brandenburg Concertos.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60
youtube.com/watch?v=xEkB-VQviLI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The vast majority of classical music was a-melodic garbage and you know it.

>thinking music is objective
>thinking there is anything wrong with having what you enjoy most as your favorite

What a meme!

Prove to me why Beethoven's quartets are a 10 while Bartok's are a 6

not this pasta again

>falling for the subjectivity meme

Not an argument.

music was a mistake, it's nothing but noise

no, its not

How is it objective?

tldr u classical faggot cant write less cant u haha fuck you nigger metallica are way better than thise dead shits

Why cant' Bartok's quartets be 7 at least?

Jazz is the only kind of popular music taht reaches a 5

There's nothing wrong wiht listening to some garbage as long as 75%+ of what you listen to is the good stuff IE classical.

Yes, yes, well done, shitposter. Well done, shitposter. HOWEVER

youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60

debussy is the only classical composer worth caring about in 2016

Who's it gonna be in 2017?

stockhausen
after that classical will be dead

Cause op said it was

Can't wait for 2017.

All music is gay.

You mean the copypasta?

Classical is vastly overrated. The so called "best" symphonies out there are just extended pop songs made to stick in the heads of people to hum to, before going home and dying of polio at the age of 35. There are countless modern music albums I'd put over, say, Beethoven's 9th.

I'm afraid you're a mere plebeian. The best thing about modern music albums is high production value. MUSICALLY it is still dull pop music.
If you're comparing a modern studio album with a recording of an orchestra, I can see where you are coming from, but you need to go an actually listen to the music live to hear how superior classical is.

Haha spot on bro. Metal 4 life \m/

I've been to five concerts this year. Don't try to downtalk me. There's so much new shit now that it'd be unfair to compare it to classical. How do you compare a sound collage musician with Dvorak, or any other pop musician for that matter?

mate, classical has nothing on Romantic ya goose

This is the thing. Someone said earlier that Debussy is the only relevant classical musician. This is because he was an impressionist who started this "sound collage" thing, moving away from the classical western tradition based on the musical scales. I think classical music is superior *musically*, not necessarily "aurally".
Western art in general has moved away from rational principles towards subjective feelings. This is why it is hard to compare classical music with the modern pop music you describe. They are not even aiming at the same thing.

Yeah

Classical in this context encompasses more than just music from 17th-19th centuries. Classical invented sound collage

You might as well be asking how do we compare Michelangelo to Picasso or Duchamp. And the answer is, very carefully.

nah i said that because debussy is pretty good
its not deep bro classical is a meme

The fact that so many books still name the Beethoven as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” classical composer ever only tells you how far classical music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Rock critics rank the highly controversial Beatles over rock musicians who were highly popular in concerts around Europe. Classical critics are still blinded by commercial success. Beethoven sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, rock critics grow up listening to a lot of rock music of the past. Classical critics are often totally ignorant of the classical music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that Beethoven did anything worthy of being saved.

the highly controversial Beatles

this.

>Everyone in this thread jerking off, being jerked off on, or trying hard to use a spermatic truss.

MEANWHILE:

Hey, this is pretty good. I think I prefer Monteverdi though.

Monteverdi was probably the best composer up to that point tbqh

Are you fucking retarded?

if beethoven was alive today he'd probably be someone like Nils Frahm or Venetian Snares

>Beethoven quartets: 10
>Brandenburg Concertos: 10
>Bartok quartets: 6
dumb bogposters

this is actually true

>this meme
>true
srsly Sup Forums

if you like this go read scaruffi...

More choral song like that please

Ockeghem - missa prolationum

Moar!
Also, I'd like to train my voice to sing something like that. It just that, this genre kinda.. dying.
I'd prefer if I could sing non-religious Latin song.

What makes classical music special? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to it, studying it and playing it. I just don't get the sense of superiority that some classical listeners have about it relative to the other fundamental genres (traditional and popular). I just don't think it has any qualities that are inherently "better," other than the fact that we have centuries of music to curate, preserving the best pieces, and letting insignificant works fade into obscurity.

I personally think it comes from some kind of association bias. Classical composers and groups have depended on the patronage of the rich and powerful (i.e. royalty, religion, government, academia, etc.) and it's a natural connection to make towards "superiority" over other genres. You could argue those power-wielding groups are only supporting the objectively "best" musicians, but I think that's a silly reduction. I think the reasons are more difficult to pin down, and there are a lot of political motivations behind them, like reinforcing national identity (a big factor in 19th century classical) or destabilizing competing/older power structures (lots of 20th century classical).

I'm not claiming I'm right, but I always found this discussion interesting and often overlooked and wanted to hear the thread's thoughts.

>non-religious
Renaissance madrigals are the way to go! Listen to any of the madrigal books by Monteverdi but I think Book 5 and Book 8 are the most famous.
There's also Jacques Arcadelt, John Farmer (if you want to sing in English), and Carlo Gesualdo

The classical canon is a pretty good indicator of what's best. Of course, sometimes great things still slip through the cracks and get overlooked, while relatively uninteresting and unoriginal stuff gets excessive praise, for the reasons you describe, among others. This happens a lot less frequently than it does with popular and folk/traditional music, though, as, in the case of classical music, the selective pressures are generally more refined because of more educated selectors (and artists).

>sometimes great things still slip through the cracks and get overlooked, while relatively uninteresting and unoriginal stuff gets excessive praise
Like?

>Friend likes Bach over Beethoven
>I respectfully disagree but ask him why anyways
>"Baroque music is more logical and from the mind. Romantic is more about how the music moves you than the actual intricacies and tonal complexity"

Are Baroque fags this autistic?

you're a perceptive person.

Overlooked: Chausson, Raff, Janacek
Too much attention: Pachabel Canon, Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata

Janacek is very famous, but you're right about Raff.

>Too much attention: Pachabel Canon, Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata

true. i wish more people listened to the rest of beethoven's sonatas. probably the best set of music ever written.

Maybe it's just me. I only recently stumbled upon him

Thanks a bunch! Is there any secular choral song that in German, French and Italian you can suggest?

romantic>classical>baroque

A lot of Renaissance music is in Italian. Dunno about the other two

>Baroque music is more logical and from the mind
This meme is the worst.

lully operas make me incredibly horny am i the only one ??

bumlp

>romantic music isn't about tonal complexity
what did he mean by this

I would not consider it as horny, but it do really make me seeing stars

>romantic>classical

i know exactly what you mean and this connection makes me want to cry

youtube.com/watch?v=xEkB-VQviLI

this song is great

Please stop avatar-fagging.

>want to get into classical music
>listen to it
>get bored a few minutes in
>turn it off and lsiten to pop music instead

This happens with every classical music I've tried to listen to, even the "accessible ones" I just get bored with.

Yes, but the only baroque fans I know are also Hegelians, so I'm not sure if this is accurate.

Other way around friend.

try Dvorak 9

Modern > Renaissance > Romantic > Baroque > Classical > Medieval

Any good software that can almost mimic choral voices?
(All I could think of was East West Symphonic Choir, except it was expensive as fuck)

I think it's pretty simple. Back in the day when the masses were actually filthy illiterate peasants the elite and educated sought to distance themselves from them. One of the ways they did this was by raising up a more intellectual, higher quality/refined (not saying better) music culture. Basically that dichotomy of low/base people not being able to appreciate the finer, more sensitive/intellectual things has persisted until this day. It's just always been associated with being of a higher class.

Think about the difference in our societies perception of a wine and cheese party vs a block party. It has the same general basis.

>vivaldi
>classical
Nice shitpost

I'm sure you think you're being clever but educate yourself
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music

tope

Classical > Baroque > Modern > Romantic > Contemporary

>educate yourself
>wikipedia
Nice shitpost

Hi Richard.

>6 KB
>119 KB

>CLiTposting

>classical music

Please don't post pictures of yourself. No one cares what you look like.

What is the greatest piece of classical music of all time?

Bach's Art Of Fugue, or Terry Riley's A Rainbow In Curved Air

Mozart's 17th piano concerto.

>Bach's Art Of Fugue

This. Pure absolute music.

beethoven's string quartets are the pinnacle of music

>Classical music is so evidently superior to all other kinds of music

Then why it died?

If it died, then why are people still performing it constantly?

what instrument do you prefer it on?

I have heard it on organ, harpischord/cello, acoustic guitar and even saxophone quartet. I think I liked the organ version the most.

Listen to it on a piano.

>implying if people play it at music schools it means isn't dead

I've loved it the most on the Harpsichord, although I don't really like Leonhardt's performance due to his extensive usage of ritardando.
I'm also particularly fond of the Glenn Gould's incomplete performance on piano. His contrapunctus XI and XIV are 10/10 to me.

But people compose it still too

Not that guy but classical music has never been mainstream in the first place.
Also music is nowadays associated with specific businesses such as pubs and clubs, wich really don't mix well with what music has to offer.
People really don't want to get extremely drunk, sit down and listen to music in silence for 2 hours. Their plans only include getting fucked up and trying to have sex with women.

it wasn't made by the culture industry

Just take LSD and listen to Mahler's ninth or Beethoven's fifth.
Bach is also great on drugs, especially Glenn Gould stuff. If you're high on anything you will just get mindblown by his Art of Fugue for piano.

absolute patrician