Why would anyone with half a brain call this a shoegaze album...

Why would anyone with half a brain call this a shoegaze album? Still to this day I see people on this board call it shoegaze. It's most definitely a noise rock/sludge metal album nothing more nothing less. A very good album, but it bothers me to see people make it out to be something it's not.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2INLBsRYVBs
youtube.com/watch?v=I9WvQ3eBlIE
silbermedia.com/qrd/archives/32goslings.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RYM literally lists it as shoegaze

>Grandeur of Hair
>Sludge
this is bait right?

>sludge metal
there's nothing sludge about that album.

that doesn't make it right?

How are these songs the same genre?
youtube.com/watch?v=2INLBsRYVBs

youtube.com/watch?v=I9WvQ3eBlIE

yeah, it's weird. i've read interviews w/ the dude from the goslings where he explicitly states that it's metal

It's a very sludgy drudging heavy album. You have heard the album, right?
I'm not surprised

sounds more like harsh noise to me, there isn't much going on behind the static. 3 minutes in.

I like the song Rubber by Yuck, not sure how I feel about this though.

shoegaze and noise share many similarities. this is pretty melodic as far as noise music goes so its not an absurd secondary genre tag

>It's a very sludgy drudging heavy album. You have heard the album, right?
sludge means doom + hardcore punk, not slow noise rock. it's a great album but noisy and slow is not always equivalent to sludge

>that doesn't make it right?
Popular opinion is what creates genre boundaries
>How are these songs the same genre?
They both have shoegaze esque guitar effects

>sounds more like harsh noise to me
Are you feeling okay? Harsh noise is usually music that's derived from electronic sampling and feedback without the use of traditional instruments. The Goslings are a noise rock/metal band that uses guitars, drums, and prominent vocals to create dirge-like songs that have clear melody, tempo, song structure, and rhythm. You obviously don't have the ear for noise music in general if you think they're harsh noise.
It's just ridiculous to me because The Goslings are so much more rooted in metal music than pop, which shoegaze is rooted in.

Here's a very ugly ancient webpage with an interview with Matt from the band where he says that the band is a metal group
silbermedia.com/qrd/archives/32goslings.html
>it's a great album but noisy and slow is not always equivalent to sludge
I don't know man, I think the evidence is right there. Many of the riffs are most certainly sludge metal riffs to me.
>They both have shoegaze esque guitar effects
You're giving me an aneurysm right now. What are shoegaze guitar effects? Distortion? Reverb? Delay? I guess every song that uses those effects are shoegaze songs then.

>shoegaze esque guitar effects

nigga distortion and reverb aren't unique to shoegaze, it's what's happening underneath that determines the genre

This is kinda relevant

>ambient outro
>ambient outro for reals
always gets me

>manages to create an incredibly heavy sound
>no bassist
fucking how

If you don't know what shoegaze is, why are you trying to state what bands are or are not showgaze?
Incorrect.

Because shoegaze isn't a fucking genre you retard, it's an umbrella term.

Shoegaze has no set sound and just refers you the use of an extensive number of pedals at the same time.

How are you this fucking stupid jesus christ.

>QRD – Do you do something to try to get your guitar more bass-y? Like an octave pedal or something?

>Max – No, there is actual bass guitar. Some songs don’t have any bass guitar and you can tell because it sounds “thinner” but I generally go back and overdub bass guitar on all the songs since we got the reel-to-reel – I wish I was a better bassist though all my bass lines pretty much just do what the guitar does and I bet a lot of the songs would’ve turned out better if I had a more interesting bass line.

rule of thumb: if there is no debate about the genre of a music, the music isn't any good

It's not about the fucking sound, it's the action of SHOE GAZE, I can play metal and call it shoegaze if I want to

Noise rock and shoegaze have a lot of overlap. There isn't some hard line between them.

>Why would anyone with half a brain listen to shoegaze?

Fixed, thanks.

>Many of the riffs are most certainly sludge metal riffs to me.
probably cause you don't listen to much sludge

Shoegaze is a fucking umbrella genre.

The Goslings are noise pop.

>Harsh noise is usually music that's derived from electronic sampling and feedback without the use of traditional instruments
What a retard.

The goslings are definitely not noise pop

>this triggers the shogazefag

I like this album, can we bump it up to Sup Forumscore please?

Also The Voidz - Tyranny

It has to do with the washed out vocals.

how about harsh noise pop?

>walls of noise
>pop structure
They are closer to noise pop rather than sludge metal or regular shugaze.

Shoegaze is psychedelic, has lots of distortion, obscured vocals
The Goslings are psychedelic, have lots of distortion, and obscured vocals
They are pretty far from indie pop unlike most shoegaze tho