Why do they even make manuals any more after they invented automatic transmissions?

why do they even make manuals any more after they invented automatic transmissions?

>ITT: OP can't drive standard
If you knew you would understand

so people can pretend to be a big shot race car driver when actually they're shitters

Better fuel consumption and maneuver.

I've heard excuse after excuse but in every case messing with a shifter takes your hands off the wheel doing so causes distractions and thus limiting possible driving.

Because Automatics are designed to numb the sensation of driving for soccer moms and old folk who see cars simply as a way of getting from A to B.

My automatic get better mileage then the Manuel version.

>shifter

Kek'd at your cluelessness

So... Because mania transmission is "manly" ? Is that what you're saying?

I get better mileage, better acceleration, better reliability, more control in the snow, it's even easier on the engine because I can control the rpms at all times for any given situation.
It's also second nature, to me it is how you drive a car, automatics feel like shit, feels like there is a nanny that doesn't know what she is doing between me and the car, because there is.

who the fuck is Manuel?
Get your illegals out of here

Never knew a bunch of moving metal could have a gender association.

Less brake wear because of better engine braking.

Better feel for speed because speed is always proportional to RPM (and engine tone).

Faster throttle response.

That's bullshit, I don't care what make and model.

ITT: Fags who can't drive manual, Fags that think manual is superior when they both do the job, nerds that don't understand that
> two wheels is better than 4

well until recently there were some substanial advantages, but now theres really none

thats the way most people look at it. driving is fucking boring unless you are racing or something. living in the bay area ive sat through enough traffic, if i could afford it i would pay someone to drive me so i can dick around on my phone or read a book. its a shame public transportation takes so long and is so limited

That's what they are you fucking faggot.
>MUH HORSEPOWER
Grease monkeys make me sick.

Manual transmitions are for people who enjoy the sensation of driving, plenty women enjoy driving too so nothing to do with being 'manly'.

Automatics are good cruisers for people who prefer a relaxing, less involved experience and are perhaps too clumsy to drive a normal car. Both have their merits.

Hahaha! You are seriously uniformed. Just leave

Try telling that to an f1 driver, those are shiftable autos fag.

Because they are cheaper to manufacture than automatics.

There was a time where automatic transmissions weren't advanced enough to outshift a driver that knew what they were doing; but at this point the tech has advanced to a level where computers can handle shifting as well as people can......although that being said those sort of automatic transmissions are going to be much more expensive than a good 6 speed manual.

Also a manual transmission can be fun, if you know how to use it.

Because some faggots like to drive manual so they can have delusions of superiority over their peers in a desperate attempt to feel good about themselves.

That just means you fucking fail at shifting correctly.

Standard masterrace

>more interesting to drive
>better functionality and cheaper to maintain when used properly
>cost significantly less than automatic in initial signing
>actually feeling and controlling shifts
>pulling a heel-toe for the first time

Kek

idiot, it says "who see cars simply as a way of getting from A to B"
That doesn't specify any gender.

to make you angry.

it's also great because only roughly 10% of people can drive it. I hate other faggots driving my car.

This is very true I'll give you that one.

I suppose it may also depend on the country. America is dull, straight lines, long roads and nothing interesting.

If you live in a country or area with nice, winding roads and interesting routes then you really have to own a manual unless you are completely without love for driving.

Not really the same as a regular actual automatic dude... Those are paddle sequential shifters, you still need to do the shifting, you are still in control.

Because a standard will last forever. The transmission is easy to work on, and the clutch is simple to replace

Triggered

And you're retarded.

Manuals use to be much more refined that automatic shifters. Manual shifting cars are beginning to die out since we have transmissions that shift much faster and are much more efficient than manual shifters. I like manual shifters but since we can buy dual clutch automatic transmission cars for relatively cheap it's becoming to be such an outdated piece of tech (i.e., manual shifters). However, manual shifters are more fun for some people, which I could agree with for certain cars. NIGGERS.

Until you get killed or go veggie mode ;)

>only 10% of people can drive a standard transmission

What backwards country do you live in?

They most certainly are and you can control your shifts in most new autos too.
>Tiptronic

Just give up and leave. . .

Most likely America, I'm American and that number sounds about right, probably only 5% who can drive a manual well though.

America probably.

>manual shifting cars are beginning to die out

[citation needed]

see
This, its all personal preference.
10% of the market still buys MT cars
automakers are just looking to get their share of the 10%, I bought my first manual car this year, and im already looking to buy something sportier than my 60 WHP honda civic. More engaging than an auto car IMO.

Jesus that's bad. I hope you're just b8ing.

A "normal" car is manual? How old are you?

Dude, I've played with those before, it's nothing like driving a real manual, it's closer but still nowhere near the same.

Because there are people that want them, that's how business works

What are you, fucking gay?

i feel like those in favor of manual are the ones who always get butthurt the most.

>stop driving the way I don't like

That's me, but the fantasy doesn't go very far with a 2001 Honda Civic. On the personal side, the manual transmissions in my life had caused few problems. Also, better mileage.

Some of us find the manual to be a more engaging and fun driving experience. It's more of a connection to the machine, and control

hefty lol

That's also true, no clutch. But still better then an uncontrollable mess that is a straight PRNDL

Over 18, I assume you live in the united states of shit drivers?

Heard of other places like Europe for example?

ITT : Americans

Lazy and fat, even at the wheel.

They're also fairly expensive, especially if you want one that doesn't feel sloppy

Do you have to drive? Buy an automatic.
Do you WANT to drive? Buy a manual.

Simple as that, no right or wrong.

Post this in the auto board faggot

Because we know the rest of you are doing it wrong, most of you won't even try it out. Imagine if you knew someone that refused to try chocolate, pretty sure that would drive you crazy no?

like it.

Because men still exist

American checking in
In the 19 years I have been driving, I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission

There are a variety of reasons to prefer a manual transmission to an automatic transmission.

There is better fuel efficiency from a manual transmission. In a manual transmission when the clutch is engaged the entire drivetrain is linked together. An automatic transmission uses a torque converter which is a fluid coupling which tends to have between 5-10% slippage. There are locking torque converters but they do not always locked, particularly during stop and go city driving.

Manual transmissions are lighter, cheaper, and less expensive to repair. If the clutch goes on a manual transmission you're only going to spend a few hundred replacing it. If the clutch packs go on an automatic transmission you could be spending thousands.

That all being said automatics can still be capable for performance driving. Automatics have torque multiplication with torque converters which means more power at launch. Automatics are consistent which is good for bracket racing. Automatics have faster shift speeds which is important because in a manual when you're shifting the clutch is disengaged and you're putting zero power down. A misshift can also cost you valuable seconds, in a technical course with a lot of downshifting and upshifting those can add up.

>If you want one that doesn't feel sloppy

Holy fucking shit Chevy Chevy Chevy sloppiest garbage to ever disgrace the roads I'd rather drive a CVT. (Okay maybe a lie there)

driving would just be a completely dull task if there wasn't gear shifting.
I live in the UK, 21, driving for 4 years on an old car with no power steering, drum brakes etc
Driving even a modern Manual seems to require next to no effort as oppose to that. If there wasn't even gear shifting you would literally just sit there and switch off, automatics literally take all of the fun out of driving

Speaking for western europe: Until a few years ago automatics where mainly used by people that are partly handicapped to still be able to drive, but recently i've seen em popping up in adds a lot more frequently so I assume it's slowly coming here as well.
Personally I love driving and couldn't imagine driving an automatic every day, but I understand that most people see driving as a way to get from A to B and prefer doing their make up and driving up a tree than having control over their driving

America.

Older folks (60+) can all do it, but younger than that, it's probably like 5% that have the skill.

Only 6% of new cars sold have manual gearboxes.

I prefer a manual when driving a car, but for trucks I choose auto.

pic related: my fuck-around car

>seriously uniformed.

now I'm wondering what 'seriously uniformed' looks like.

I know what you mean. No hydraulic clutch and no power steering is a workout, but it gives you something to do rather than sit there with your thumb up your ass as you drive to the store.

I drive a Chevy Cruze auto yes it's fucking sloppy, but it can be fun.

trucks and heavy SUVs do kind of suck with autos, with the exception of dedicated off roaders

If you REALLY want to 'drive" for the kinesthetic experience, you ride a motorcycle.

Compared to motorcycles at the same price point, cars are boring as a box van.

WITHOUT autos. typo.

That's just plain weird. I would never willingly choose to drive an auto over a manual but then again, in the UK those percentages are pretty much reversed. Autos are driven by long distance businessmen who wish they had a chauffer.

I got you fam

because manual is better

Automatic transmissions have improved to the point that they get the same fuel economy, and shift just as good as manual. Manual is more for people who enjoy it or want to feel cool. What used to be advantages are now negligible differences.

My last car I had for five years was like that, it was good fun. My current car (98 civic) has the hydraulic clutch and power steering, I don't mind a hydraulic clutch, still not use to power steering though.

i just realized something.
you're all full of shit.
my opinion is right, so fuck you all.

Yes letting some wetback named Manuel drive your car would definitely reduce gas mileage

Not an option where there's a lot of rain/snow

It's cheaper.

More economical.

Better control on the snow (easier to get out if you're stuck.)

Increase awareness of the road (proven that you are more alert when you know what the fuck is going on with your car).

More fun.

Americans like automatics so they can eat and drive.

this guy gets it.
I agree I could use an easier clutch but power steering is God-awful

Agreed there but try fitting three friends and luggage on the back of a bike, life is all about compromise. Bikes are pure fun, sporty cars are the sensible compromise and automatics are for boring people who wish they could teleport where they needed to be.

/thread

This pretty much.

Electric steering is far superior to power. I've never driven Armstrong so I can't comment.

To make Europeans feel useful, since Americans fuck them up in every other way.

This is bang on. I recondition autoboxes for a living and our average bill is £3k. Manuals are around

+1

>trucks and heavy SUVs do kind of suck with autos, with the exception of dedicated off roaders

Modify the auto if no likee.

Trucks with autos properly set up have extremely low crawl ratios if you want that, are outstanding for towing (and if you bought adequate brakes you don't need compression braking), and you don't risk frying a clutch if you are abusing the truck in wrecker duty or similar. Even big rigs are gradually going to modern automatic tranmissions.

You can make an auto do anything.

I've had 3 cars in my life.
2 automatics i had from ages 16-22
1 manual from 22-now
am 23 now, and I honestly like the manual better
I live in LA, but only commute about 20 miles roundtrip a day to get to work, so I dont deal with traffic. tl;dr manual is for those that enjoy taming the beast of a machine, and doing it well.
My current bitch is a:
Mazdaspeed3 263 HP while stock but mine has
-stage 2 clutch
-1400 cc injectors
-headers
-fuel pump
-catless downpipe
-not too crazy exhaust
-niggatuned
making about 320 to the wheels
which is very, very fun

THIS

No need to bicker over which is better, it's enjoyability v cruising, two different things.

It was marketed as a luxury item in the 60s when they first started to become prevalent. Basically every American built car was sold with an auto gearbox from that point on, except for stripper models, some sports cars, and stripper model pickups. Even in muscle cars,motorsports, and drag racing, everyone is all about Turbo 400s and their derivatives.

It was also heavily marketed towards women. I'd say that probably 0.1% of women under the age of 50 can drive a stickshift in the US. My mom and my grandmother can both drive stick like a boss.

It seems to be turning around a bit though, mostly with muscle cars and sports cars. If you buy a sports car with an auto gearbox you will never hear the end of it. Most muscle cars sold in the 70s and 80s were autos.

I would take the belt off to bypass it, but I am sharing my car with my fiancee, she got early onset arthritis in her thumbs so it has to stay.