Sup Sup Forums I just started my first office job and it makes life feel pointless, what am I working for...

Sup Sup Forums I just started my first office job and it makes life feel pointless, what am I working for? At least when I was in school I had summer break to look forward to, but now I have nothing to look forward to.

How have you guys come to terms that for the next 40 years you have nothing but work.

I can't. Only way to keep hope alive is to keep looking for better job opportunities. Better the job, better the pay. Better the pay, sooner you can quit. That or monetize a hobby of yours if that's possible.

Simple, enjoy your life when you're not working.

I imagine quality gf must make it a lot easier

A paycheck to start. A means to enjoy the things in life. My precious 4 weeks of vaca pay I get a year. And I mostly like my job... Being a boss has its advantages

It does, but not really. It has it's benefits, but you have to focus on not bringing her down with your depression, which is a battle within itself.

Pro-tip. You don't have to work for 40 years in order to retire. Learn to be happy with less.

For every experience that you want to have, you can have an experience that is 90% as good for 10% of the cost. Google mrmoneymoustache for more info.

Or find more fulfilling work I guess.

Oh, you're depressed? Dude get into therapy. For real. Figure out what combination of drugs/exercises/meditation/talking out your problems that you need in order to feel better.

Trust me, you'll be so much happier.

I can't see myself getting into therapy, if I really need to talk to someone, I feel like it should be someone close to me such as gf or family, not some stranger that I'm paying to listen. It's not so much that I'm depressed,I'm just never really happy. Did smoke weed for 5-6+ years, every single day, pretty much quit cold turkey a couple months ago in hopes that might help, but if anything it's done the opposite, so I'm back to smoking on weekends. My job is too physically demanding to stay in the gym more than a few weeks at a time, it's just not possible. I think if I could get to a more comfortable position in life it would help tremendously, but the job I got right now is the best I can get, and I'm obligated to stick it out at least a couple more years.

Have come to terms, feels like shit. No social life, money or hobbies. Wish i never fucked up highschool.

Get a monkey. They're fun to come home to, after a while you'll look forward to the end of every day when you go home to your monkey.

>It's not so much that I'm depressed,I'm just never really happy.

That's not normal. I really think you should try talking to someone. The fact that things got worse since you stopped smoking indicates that you maybe had a mental problem that you were self-medicating.

I understand that you might not be comfortable with the idea of a therapist, but consider this; A therapist has experience. They listen to people with problems for a living. They can offer insight that family members cannot. And yes, they're paid to listen to you. They are a person who you can go to and who will listen to what you have to say, unconditionally (you mentioned that you're afraid of burdening your gf with your depression, you don't have such a burden with a therapist).

Lastly, the won't get tired of your bullshit. Your loved ones love you, but despite their best efforts, they will get tired of your bullshit. Trust me, I've been there.

I understand what your saying, I don't bother people close to me for exactly that reason, I know they will get sick of my shit, it would be good to not keep everything to myself, but at the same time I know that time, energy, and money could be spent on doing something to actually make me happy, rather than trying to find why I'm not happy with a therapist. I know I'm not happy because of where I'm at in life, compared to where I want to be, and theres not much anyone can really say to change that, I just have to DO something about it.

I use to work at Walmart. I slowly got fed up with my job and after being passed over for a promotion, my cars engine dying and being stuck in bum fuck South Carolina, relying on my friend for rides to work and back. My friend finally talked me into going on a trip to sort of find myself and escape this trap of a state. I quit my job and took a bus to Portland, Oregon. Spent a week or so there and went to Seattle. One day after that, I got a job on a ship. It was tough work, but I met Hella cool people. About 2 months and 3 weeks of work and I came off the ship with 7k or so. Best decision I ever made. You work a few months them get like 2-3 months off. Sometimes, you have to leap into the unknown.

You got an office job now right? You got insurance? It's not that expensive. Try it out. If you don't like it, try another therapist. If you still don't like it, at least you tried.

Log on to Sup Forums and talk about your problems regularly at the very least. You should have some outlet for this stuff. People will call you a faggot, but fuck em.

Same guy, just wanted to say something else. I was Hella depressed after being betrayed by my brother, my aunt dying and my car shitting itself. Taking that journey helped a lot. Now I have a car and am trying to go to college. Unless I get bored or fed up and want to go back to the ship with like minded people.

get a hobby, pursue a passion on your free time

It's the way of the world. Bitching about it won't help. Find a way to git gud and make monies, or follow the status quo.

Fucking this. I recently quit my job of 4yrs, worked with cool people, it was good. Then the routine finally caught up with me, 4yrs is a good stretch for one job, I need to do something else. Right now, I haven't found it yet. I'm grateful I can pay my bills/rent for the next two months without work, until then, I'm looking for something similar to OP's success story

Do what I did. Go to Seattle and look for ship work. Trust me.

err.. just stop being a jerkwad and get a better job..

No, I do manual labor about 50 hours a week, and thanks to Obamacare I have to pay like $120 a month and my insurance covers NOTHING. The only time it would be even slightly useful was if I were to accumulate a hospital bill of 20 thousand plus. I'll think about it though, I'll most likely just get on here and vent to strangers occasionally though lol.

Would like to do something like this, but I'm obligated to stay at my job a while longer, or at least until they get a replacement. I would drop that shit with the quickness if I wasn't helping a family member out by working there.

Fish Processing Vessel. That's what I was on. You work every day for a few months. 12 hour shifts normally and 16 when there's a lot of fish. But your only worries are how much of the free food you want and getting use to the sleep change. Our ship did have WiFi though. I've been wanting to go back. But I had to think long term. If I can't get financial aid, I'll go back on Jan 18th though.