Who's your favorite German avant-garde group from back in the ol' 70s

We're talkin' like Neu!, Can, Faust etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pVGcwy8B-UY
youtube.com/watch?v=zpj7Sv28ZSo
youtube.com/watch?v=E2pZAaejhUo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

can because theyre funky as shit, faust was the most sonically daring and then neu was okay but it feels like you have to be on ketamine or something to really dig them and early kraftwerk. Amon duul ii and ash ra tempel peaked really early but put out some of the best stuff in the genre. A. R. & machines and most schulze and schnitzler projects are also top tier

Damo Suzuki's probably killed like 3 people

Too many to name desu.

wait, what?

Harmonia. It's some of Mobius and Roedelius's (and Eno's in terms of collabs) best work. In fact, I'd really place Cluster itself there too. Horribly underrated.

It just...takes you away, man.

Can, Faust, and Neu are great but my favorite is La Dusseldorf.
youtube.com/watch?v=pVGcwy8B-UY

Can, Faust, Neu! the list goes on.

Gila
youtube.com/watch?v=zpj7Sv28ZSo

Ash Ra Tempel is new age/ambient

not their first 2

I don't care, he's a good musician

pink years Tangerine Dream. Zeit is my all-time favourite album and their live output in '72-'73 is a whole new level of free-form music.

CAN by a long shot. even the sound collages on tago mago like peking o and aumgn are 10/10 for me. tago mago and future days i would both easily put within the top 20 albums of all time. beautiful music. faust is probably my second favorite, their self titled is great. they're far from my favorite but out of focus is also wonderful.

Tangerine Dream definitely

Can is my favourite, but I wouldn't describe them as avant garde, they just made really amazing jams. Neu!, user Duul II, and Popol Vuh are the same, though they have varying degrees of accessibility. Faust is the only avant garde one listed by OP (arguably).

I can't really get into Zeit, I much prefer Phaedra and Rubycon. Am I a pleb? Should I revisit Zeit?

SCORPIONS

Probably Faust because I still remember the first time I listened to Faust IV and being blown away at the sound of it. And then I got into their debut and the other 2 albums that came after them

Manfred Eicher desu

i guess it all really comes down to taste. i like phaedra quite a bit too, i just really enjoy Zeit because it kind of flips the concept of radical music around.

a lot of experimental music looked to be radical through abstract and loud experimentation, which TD also did before, but Zeit is just an ominous pit of nothingness, eerie and unrecognisable melodies floating around each other with no sense of structure. i guess i like to revel in its subdued surrealism. i like to listen to it while travelling in the dark, if that helps.

youtube.com/watch?v=E2pZAaejhUo

My favorite rock album of all time.

Thanks, I really want to love it so I'll hi back with that in mind