Sup Sup Forums, I wanna be an engineer. I am having trouble deciding between mechanical and electrical...

Sup Sup Forums, I wanna be an engineer. I am having trouble deciding between mechanical and electrical. I have significant interest in both, but I suppose I'll focus on whichever is more likely to lead to an interesting career. Any advice?

bump

Don't be a fag. Major in physics so you understand both.

Plus if you even have somewhat decent social skills you will be the most popular guy in the dept.

My Uni graduates like a thousand engineers a year and like 20 physics majors. Fuck engineers

Doesn't really matter. You won't find a job in that field anyway.

Mechanical if you prefer to visualise problems.

Electrical if you like random lines with fuck loads of weird math

Source. 4th year electrical

Mechanical will provide you with a broader range of jobs, but is also the lowest average salary of engineers. Electrical engineering pays more and still has a good range of opportunities. But majoring in physics sets you up for both fields as the other user said. Or choose chemical engineering and make a fuck ton of money. That's what I would do. Most them engineering majors become doctors, so if you majored in chemical engineering and DIDNT become a doctor, you will be in somewhat higher demand.

>electrical if you like random lines with fuck loads of weird math

As someone who recently gave up on EE, fucking this all day long. Civil ftw, it's the "lowest" of the engineerings but you know what? It also has the most jobs in the largest variety of places.

This. 3rd year mechanical, but I have to dabble in electrical occasionally.

Why.

Buy a train first and drive it around a little before you decide.
Plus, see how you look in an engineer's hat in the mirror--it may not be 'you'.

why not mechatronic?
robots going around. try for the big shot and go to JPL.
you'll start as junior whatever anyway, at elast you'd have some fun during the studies.

Meh, physics seems a little too conceptual for me. I want to be able to design/build real world solutions.

I think I am leaning mechanical, it just seems like electrical is in a better position for growth by the time I would graduate.

Sounds cool, not offered at my plebeian public uni though.

kek

See >

Suit yourself man. Look up how many engineers entering the workforce every year. You gotta compete with every one of those fuckers.

Plus the physics degree shows you can do math. Math with your fucking brain! Not type it into autocad

move to yurop :D
germany is free, norway is free.
france/italy have very low taxes and better food than the first two
if you don't fuck it up it would be the time of your life

Not OP but I am thinking of taking a couple senior level physics courses next summer in Germany. Am I fucked if I don't speak a word of German? Do the chicks there of college age like American guys??

And you'll end up jobless.

As an EEE grad, I can safely tell you that the physicists were far smarter than us in terms of doing physics. But engineering and physics aren't the same, engineering isn't JUST an easy version of physics other wise there wouldn't be any point in it even existing! As an engineer, you're concerned with applying what physicists have already done to make shit easier. I'd say physics is much more interesting than engineering but a physicist can't do what I do in the same way I can't do what a physicist does.

Though the physicist is smarter than me, most employers would be more interested in me because my course is based upon coming up with solutions to real problems, presenting ideas and considering real life constraints. Physicists are concerned with pushing the boundaries of science, not making money.

In terms of mech vs elec, elec is definitely going to be 'the future' of engineering due to ever expanding uses of internet/computers/energy etc. That said, you can't go wrong with either, both will always be in demand.

Expats also attend college for free? Seems too good to be true.

Or you could not be a pussy and do biomedical engineering

as far as I know, 99% of germans speak a good level of english. plus the funny accent, you'll feel like an "inglorious basterd" on a mission. you might even play some jokes on that but be careful, nazi propaganda is still banned in germany. and police don't treat that lightly

here in germany i think the chance to get a first job is slightly better for electrical engineers... in the moment where you get your first leading position (most likely projectleader) the differences between mechanical and electrical enigneers are getting blurry and in higher positions your course of study is not important anymore. in that moment your history of successful projects is way more important and you cant differentiate between mechanical and electrical engineers anymore. career in research is another thing.

dude it's europe. taxpayers.
they even fix you up for free at the ER. in my experience, no queues at all.

I don't know what that machine is but I want it!
That shit deserves an NEA grant.

Both will always be in demand OP. Mechanical, especially paired with other degrees later down the road, will yield to a FAR more diverse field of jobs. I graduated a year ago and have been working at a hydraulic and electric tool company for the past 8 months. The experience has been amazing and I've also gotten to dabble into the electrical side of things just from working.

Nobody I know who graduated in bmed has a salary job.

one funny thing about european school system is, with the obvious excellence exceptions, that people who o to private schools need to pay the teacher because they can't grind it in the public school.

Have you considered that only 35 people graduate with Physics degrees a year because less people major in it?

I think I will go mechanical, but I also don't want to attend grad school for the time being. Will a bachelors cut it? That sounds like exactly what I'd like to do, what's the company?

Ok good to know thx. I am an outspoken racist prick over here in the states but I know better than to behave like that away from home. I have German roots and look just like those beady eyed bastards so I hope to fit in.

Dentists are doctors who flunk out of med school

Engineers are physicists who can't do math without a calculator.

THe careers are basically similar it depends what you wanna go for. You can go into magnetic induced stuff through currents or build pretty basic stuff. Like you're not innovating much in either cause it's just work. Electrical gives more into computer stuff too, like you might learn about computer architecture, and how signals communicate and issues with East vs west on power stuff, and maybe controls theory - pic related

I like to think that mechanical is practical and electrical is the philosophy and chemical is insane and civil is sand castle + maybe kansai airport, that's about all civil has for them

Of course.

*tips fedora*

Economists claim that between 2015 and 2025 three areas of industry that will see the most growth are the medical field, energy, and technology. You can major in either mechE or elecE and be able to apply your knowledge in any of these three fields. As far as "interesting" goes, figure out what you're most interested in..

Even as a German I sometimes have trouble reading scientifically written reports. German can be a very complex language, especially when it comes to science. Consider taking some language courses before coming here. But come visit us anyway, we're pretty nice guys in western Germany

Go with mechanical.

Sweden had fre uni for the whole world until a few years ago. Now it's just free for EU citizens. Not unthinkable that some countries still offer free uni.

I thought the fedora thing was about atheism and white knighting and shit??

Newfag here

willkommen in Deutschland

I think electrical engineering has more interesting subject matter, but my degree is in physics, so my advice might be a little biased.

When you graduate most of the jobs you'll be looking for will be tagged with entry-level. Any employer hiring entry-level will just about never expect a masters degree. A lot of companies will also pay for a masters degree for you if it's something that can be applicable within the company. They also may have a retainment policy with one that you can't leave for something like 2 years or the degree will be out of your pocket.

The tool company I'm at is a subsidiary of Emerson Electric. You can probably find it from that. They make a shit ton of stuff but some of the cooler shit is high force hydraulic tools used by service-field dudes as well as tools for residential plumbing and heating, etc.

What do you do for work and how hard was finding a job?

Good advice thank you I plan to take a beginner German class in the spring.

I had a German exchange student roommate for a semester last year. Cool as fuck (even though he never laughed like not even once). He had a fucking super hot German gf with him who thought I was just cool as fuck with my guns and fuck colored people attitude. Hoping there are more like her there

any economic support like, lower fees for non-exchange students who have all on teir shoulders? they do in france if i remember ok

Electrical engineering is great but the job field is harder to get into. You could major in mechanical and minor in electrical, which is what I am currently doing.

My cousin just graduated in civil engineering. Literally got a job at a pretty pristegious civil department a week later. Although his work is just 2 blocks down the street from his dad's lawyer firm, so that might have something to do with it...

Electrical sucks balls. Mechanical leaves options

Not just that, also for when someone is being autistic in general.

going to sleep mates, just one last thing:
first polite thread in Sup Forums I see
not even usa-eu fighting
I feel so much love

How much does that cost? Just curious

I recommend posting sinks instead

World has too many engineers. Get a real major, like Gender Studies.

>Gender Studies / Literary Criticism double major here
>I'll be making 10s of dollars when I graduate

Hey OP. I'm an industrial engineer. I program motion controls, engineer control systems, as well as manufacture the lines. (Tube & Pipe Mills is my primary focus).

So it's kinda in-between. It's pretty dope, since the industry is relatively hidden. And I make a ton of money on the side, with servicing all the local factories around here when they have a drive go bad, or need legacy programming done.

ah, spoke fast and devil faster. :)
good night!

Yeah I kinda skirted over industrial, but I'll keep it on my radar. Sounds like a pretty nice setup, was this an entry level thing or what?

rolling in the pennies

Ok thanks. Autism isn't real but I get the idea.

I am looking at about 10K for everything. Tuition, plane tickets, board. My university has little a deal with a German college that we trade students and since nobody majors in physics it is easy to get grant money for stuff like this.

My advisor has told me to just am have a couple grand for my own expenses and she will get the 10k for me.

Another reason I say go for physics. I am poor and old but they throw money at me. Just got $2k yesterday cuz I am taking a math class this summer.

>Math with your fucking brain! Not type it into autocad

Almost all of the math you need to use in the real world needs be handled by software. Only with very trivial things you can do with a back-of-the-envelope calculation.

I never got that cliché with Germans lacking humor. I'm laughing my ass off all the time.

Just be carefully with anti-foreigner attitude. The most people have similar views but this is nothing to brag about in public.
And prepare for shop-closed-Sundays! It really surprises me how many foreigners are complaining about this.

Mechanical here btw

Yeah I've heard a lot of companies offer to pay for a masters, how does someone balance high level engineering coursework while also working full time though?

P. Eng here also oldest fag 38. I went mechanical and specialized in metallurgy. Now I sit on my ass and sell premade weld procedures and answer stupid little questions. I have shit piles of cash and usually nap all afternoon or just drink beer and game/ watch TV / music around. Specialize bitch or be just be like everyone else.

An ex of mine had her masters in gender studies and like an undergrad in religious history or some shit.

I had an associates on computer networking.

She made less than half what I did.

My two years of community college was way more profitable than her 6 at a private school

Choose your major wisely.

Basically half of all liberal arts degrees are either become a professor or be poor situations.

Engineer detected

He really was so serious but we could always tell he was having fun. I spoke wrong though cuz one time we ate some shrooms together and this fucker did laugh until he puked.

Germans are high on my good people list. Not sure what they are thinking with inviting all those terrorists in but I will be in a safe area I hope.

>094 ▶
> (You)
I've only been out of school a year. I don't have a masters. Everyone in engineering fields I know (cousin's fiance is in the Oil industry, coworkers, etc) who have gotten masters have absolutely no trouble with it at all. The work itself may be more challenging with a masters but you're also putting all of your focus on it. If you're managing with work your days might suck but the reward can be heavily worth it at the end. You don't have a bunch of other classes and random shit going on like you do in undergrad.

Yeah I'm sure they owe his dad a few favors

I do envy them sometimes. My buddy dropped physics our first semester and switched to art. Saw him on campus finals week and he looked five years younger and happy as a pig in shit. I was a bit jelly.

Plus his classes are all fucking hot art chicks. My physics classes are skinny pale bedwetters

Think about that when you're flipping a coin in his burger king cup five years from now

Yup, associates degree here as well. My girlfriend has a masters in psychology. She makes a little over half of what I make. (Electronics drafter)

Yea it would be nice just to fuck around and get your dick sucked for 4 years, but at that you're only getting the lesser half of the college experience. I am a little worried of being alienated by autists in the field, but a lot of people here seem cool enough.

Lol he has rich parents. You have to have rich parents when you are dumb enough to be a physics major with an art minor and think that is marketable.

I.T. engineering student here.

I'd say EE's most job opportunities are in I.T. so if you're to go in that, you better go all in geeky and go I.T./Software engineering.

Mech is offers less in terms of salary and jobs, so if you're intelligent enough for I.T., you better chose this last one to my p.o.v.

I find that gif to be odly arousing

Ugh, yeah I have a few friends like that. Literally have daddy's credit card in their wallets. I envy them cuz my dad is dead

Lol ..... speak for yourself ..
Electrical-mechanics engineer here. Believe me , there's plenty of work.

there's a major that i'm in the process of obtaining called "mechatronics" explained simply, its a combination of both electrical and mechanical engineering with also a mix of computer science i think you'll be quite interested in

Did you also share this on a faceobok group?

Someone posted this earlier in the thread, my school doesn't offer it.

You make a compelling argument for someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

If I were a retard you would've fooled me

>Physicists
>Understanding mechanical OR electrical engineering
Sure ya do

Story on the GIF please?

You won't find a job in engineering?

This is a false flag, right? I'm guessing you studied something like women's studies or history of marijuana, and now you're bitter about your debt and unemployment?

Im mechanical. Love it. Pays good. Electrical pays less. Consider Megatronics engineering.

Satellite earth segment design engineer here. Unappreciated by the public at large but still very rewarding when it comes right. Mostly structural/mechanical/some electrical but moving more towards electromechanical and a large slab of RFand propogation which is physicist stuff, proper fucking witchcraft.

Please nobody listen to this loser.

Working for Philips medical making good mons

Shit
We fucked up

Mechanical engineer here.
You should have a look at the roles that each discipline take on in different areas of their respective fields. If something stands out to you, investigate farther.
If you want to be an engineer, that means you should already possess at least the minimum skill set required to determine what would make the following possible:
The best thing you can do is get yourself started on a career path with not just a JOB but with a JOB+PASSION.
Sounds corny as fuck, but you won't dread work. You'll be a viable asset. That means good pay and great quality of life. You'll want to be better, and eventually you will be.

Don't be like Sitting on your ass all day and getting paid isn't what progresses yourself, let alone society. You may have a fancy skill set but if you're not utilizing it then you're just as good as never having achieved it. You are the 'everyone else'.

Mining engineering here. Nearly went mechanical or chemical but didn't want to end up designing cupboard hinges or some shit my whole life. Now I blow shit up every day and make as much as a chemical plus a mechanical. It's what you make it but don't expect to do amazing unless you're very bright or prepared to work your fucking ass off. There are just too many mediocre engineers around.

40. Oldest fag in the house unless anyone else knows better.
Oh yeah, if you want to know the difference between a physicist and an engineer watch each of them trying to actually repair something. Seeing what a physicist I know did to his cars exhaust pipe; hory shet.

AS an electrical engineer graduated 2014, so from experience electrical is harder, but worth it. there is no doubt mechanical engineers will be needed forever but they are abundant. electrical is more specialized but more broad in the sense you can do more things and change between more things. mechanical you will likely always be using cad and designing some sort of box for most likely electrical design to fit in. from PCB design to IC design you can make anything in-between,you can do anything theoretical, everything around you involves electrical these days and it is more interesting. depending on the job you get you can be very divers or very specialized. either way you will get a good job in EE and it is in greater demand from Power distribution to medical, aerospace, defense, micro the possibilities are endless. and it makes more money. me and my girlfriend make a combined $140000 a year...
2 years out of college 1 year for her.

IE here. If you are into a shit ton amount of money, try bachelor's in ME THEN a masters in Industrial/ Systems engg. Technical plus operations and business equals cash. Masters in IE is the ideal leverage for someone who wants to climb up the managerial position in a smaller amount of time, more desireable than a MBA holder

are you in Absurdistan OP?

This has to do with Manufacturing Engineering or Machinist by trade.

>Neither of OPs subjects

FM = fucking magic

RF is god damn black magic i tell you

How about physic engineering?

mostly this
unless you speak habib or chinkenese

>engineer here

Test