ITT: Directed at people who have listened to <1000 albums or those who remember such a time

ITT: Directed at people who have listened to

If I was able to hear only 1001 album before I die
I'd choose european free jazz albums exclusively t b h

>Pick a genre I feel like listening to
>If I haven't listened to that genre, listen to the most acclaimed albums
>If I'm familiar with it, I listen to recommendations and dig into discographies from artists I like from the genre

>listen to music
>hey i like this
>what is similar to this
>listen to more music that's similar to the music you liked

And occasionally
>see sharethread
>well this sounds interesting
>download
>listen
>like it
>what is similar to this
>listen to more music that's similar to the music you liked

I've never followed any sort of lists for music desu.

I find it hard to do this. I wake up every day in a totally different mood. Like one day I want some new IDM, next day I want some new Prog Rock. Etc, etc.

I just enjoy jumping around from genre to genre.

I used that book, tried to find albums that were the hardest to imagine because of ignorance ten filled in the blanks.
Also used pic related, that's what albums I have left to hear.
Of course I need to revisit a lot of those, I struggle with artist discographies can't get through multiple albums of one artist

I listened to what I enjoyed, apparently I love music enough to enjoy a lottt.

That's what sharethreads are for. Sometimes i just randomly download something i've never heard of to see if i like it.

>he hasn't listened to Ken yet

get a load of this faggot

>Started off my album listening on pink floyd and marilyn manson
>Find fantano
>Find Sup Forums
>Holy shit that's a lot of charts
>Already liked black metal and death grips by the point I found them so no need to stockholm syndrome myself into genres
>Explore by chart, random, and discography

Only problem is listening to albums more than once, but I found I way to manage what I've listened to
I enjoy very much what I've found

Kek

First you should realize that you never will losten to most of recorded music in your lifetime.
Then you have to know what you want,develope a taste,I guess; and go from there.
Listening to a great album 10 times doesn`t equal listening to 10 different shit ones.But you still got to explore.

>stockholm syndrome myself into genres

I think it's about finding a balance between forcing yourself to like a genre and hearing a genre once and completely shutting yourself off from it because it didn't instantly gratify you.

It's fine to try albums/genres a few more times to see if they grow on you. But I think when you're a music buff (or whatever you wanna call what we are), then the most important thing is being as honest as possible with how you feel about an album.

i'm at around 400 right now, just REALLY started getting into music about a year and 2-3 months ago. i try to listen to at least 1-2 albums a day without interruptions.
>How do/did you confront the enormity of the amount of albums you still want to listen to?
i just listen to them one at a time.
>What method do/did you use to listen to more and more albums?
i talk to people to get recommendations, and pick up weird shit at bargain bins at record stores, thrift shops, anywhere.
>Do/did you travel through artist's discographies?
the only full discographies i've listened to are from artists i consider to be REALLY great. can, modest mouse, a few others.
>Do/did you travel through the seminal albums of a genre?
yes.
>Do/did you just travel through all the most acclaimed albums in the recent history of music (e.g. things like the Rolling Stones 500 greatest albums list, or 1001 Albums YMHBYD, or the RYM top albums)?
well, when i was first starting out with music all i did was take recs from Sup Forums and eventually i started branching out and listening to everything i could find from rollingstone's top 500 to my spotify recommendations.
>Do/did you stick to modern music coming out in the current year?
nah, i try to listen to as much as i can regardless of time period.

>How do/did you confront the enormity of the amount of albums you still want to listen to? What method do/did you use to listen to more and more albums?
I decide what I want to listen to most, which usually means exploring genres I'm interested in in depth rather than listening to a few albums in each genre to get a surface level understanding of each. A big way I get recommendations is through artists I like mentioning their influences in interviews etc.

Most of the time. I usually have a few discographies going simultaneously. Basically I'll either go chronologically or listen to an artists most acclaimed album (if there is an obvious choice) and then go chronologically. If I listen to a few albums by an artist that I love, of course going through the rest is going to be a priority and not just listening to the albums "approved" by Sup Forums or whatever source. But that can be very time consuming.

Out of curiosity, I've tried seminal albums from a lot of genres, but there are only a handful of genres where I can say I've listened to every single seminal release. At a certain point I realized trying to listen to everything just meant that I was appreciating nothing. I seem to connect with stuff more when I go through it naturally and logically.

I think this year I've been to more live shows than I have listened to new albums, and I have a much better filter as to which new releases will be worth my time. I used to just listen to any hyped new release so I could keep up with discussions or whatever.

I don't know, I might be seen as close-minded, especially because these days (and especially here) everyone is obsessed with coming off as eclectic.

Also one more thing, you shouldn't set yourself a goal "i want to listen to xxx amount of albums by this and that date". That just kills the fun of actually discovering new music and makes it seem more like a chore. I tried doing this with movies for a while and it got really tiresome after a while, then i just went fuck this i'm gna watch what i want when i want and started enjoying the shit out of it again.

Luckily with music i never felt like taking that route, so now after ~8-9 years of actively listening to a lot of music i've got 2850 albums in my library, which i discovered all organically without forcing myself to listen to stuff.

It seems like the opposite.

People seem to get ridiculed for being eclectic on Sup Forums and called out for being fakers and lying to impress, and not having a real "taste"

Personally I don't want to come across as anything, I just enjoy jumping around genres.

You meant to write >1000 (more than), not How do/did you confront the enormity of the amount of albums you still want to listen to?
I keep a text file of every intriguing artist/band I've come across. I'll write down their first widely-regard good album. I don't use it as aggressively as I did two years ago.

>What method do/did you use to listen to more and more albums?
Anything I listen to I have a digital copy of. This allows me to track my progress in my music player and transfer music to my phone for on-the-go listening.

Yes. Almost always chronologically.

Yes. Currently trying to get to 70s rock music, but I'm still working through the psychedelic age of the late 60s. There are exceptions of course.

>Do/did you just travel through all the most acclaimed albums in the recent history of music (e.g. things like the Rolling Stones 500 greatest albums list, or 1001 Albums YMHBYD, or the RYM top albums)?
Hmm, no. Not really. I used to use these resources more when I didn't have a good idea of where to find music. RYM is really helpful for finding good albums in a specific genre, especially more esoteric ones.

Definitely not. Last year I hardly listened to anything new but I'm enjoying a lot of this year's output.

>Or is your method of picking music just random?
It's not. I put weight into what music people have enjoyed, or new releases in a genre that I'm very fond of.

Hope this was helpful!

No, I meant less than. The question was directed at people who haven't listened to many albums. Or people who remember a time when they hadn't listened to many albums.

But yeah, thanks for the input.

Go and listen to Built to spill - perfect from now on right now you fucking pleb shit

It's a decent book, I think one thing people forget that it's not a list of the "1,001" GREATEST albums but instead some of the best AND some of the most culturally relevant.

Though it does go to shit around the late 90's.

Whatever you do, please be careful not to listen to the wrong album