Why did everyone stop listening to System of a Down?

Why did everyone stop listening to System of a Down?

They stopped making music.

Probably because they haven't released an album in 11 fucking years.

They were the undeniable kings of the later years of numetal though, I remember even my normie gym teachers in high school was into them back in the day.

I hate this song with a passion.

>le unironic answer
they haven't put new music out in ages
>le ironic meme answer
because they're shite kek

It was literally comedy meme rock and the joke isn't funny anymore.

I never became a huge fan. I even saw them in 2005 with Mars Volta opening for them. I was more into Slayer and Turbonegro back then to care what was going on around me.

Old school.

>Turbonegro back then to care what was going on around me

but Turbonegro was an even bigger trendy meme band at the time

If they released a new album it would be hyped as fuck.

Turbonegro was popular?

these, you just don't come close to being relevant with zero material unless you're The Rolling Stones or something

That being said they still have a hugely devout cult following and a lot of people of a certain age remember them fondly

Not as popular but definitely more trendy, partly due to the fact that it was used for Bam Margera's show on MTV. And also because they had just regrouped at the time, and their albums around that time peaked at #1 in Norway.

>cringe Bush era-type lyrics
>pretty shitty riffs
Why listen to them?

Exactly, and a lot of those people still followed all the solo projects and other bands that the SOAD members ended up doing since then.

>every song is about how the system is corrupt
>band is with some of the biggest labels

This is a criticism levied at RATM too. If you want to deliver some message, however juvenile or not, you won't do it by signing to an underground label and playing to crowds who already know all that you have to say.

DUDE REPUBLICANS LMAO

pic related, it's not like they were signed to a record label that were Armenian genocide-deniers, which is what actually most of their songs were about.

A lot of their songs were also dumb meme songs, specially shit on Steal This Record and memetize/hipnotize.

Exactly this. The only time that criticism holds any weight is when a real punk band jumps ship to a major record label. Being part of the punk pigeonhole you basically have to limit yourself to being as DIY and independent as possible since that's what being punk is about. The best example of that is Anti-Flag who had an album called underground network and was all about rejecting the mass media and doing their own thing to fight the system - and then one album later they were signed to Sony Records.

If you're don't dick around wit the punk scene and you're just some political metal or rock band, it's fair game to "sell out" straight away.

Imagine all the shitty political music that could happen if Trump won? Green Day might actually write the second political song of their career.

>Green Day might actually write the second political song of their career

I love this song with passion and I'm not even a SOAD fan

weakest criticism. when did they come out against big record labels? You can have big record labels without a corrupt system around them. that is possible.

because of what their songs consisted of: politics. when it comes to music i like things that are both timeless and nod to the past.

soad sounds like it's stuck in the early 00's.
you could argue something about being part of a time and helping represent it or something, but as mentioned above, i like it timeless.

steal this album and beyond were kinda lame honestly, a few good songs here and there but as a whole it was bland, they sounded too professional that lacked the distinct raw energy they had and was too "polished"

Hollywood.

washed up

does tony danza actually cut in line?

Because they realized the Turks did nothing wrong

They were huge here in Norway and I think also in the rest of Scandinavia + Germany.

Hell, I still sometimes see people with Turbojugend patches on the street.
Because they realized the eternal armenian is a liar and a scoundrel and should not be trusted

>implications that that comic is somehow wrong in any way

I still listen to them, listening now. Mezmerize and Hypnotize are fantastic

Math is the hardest drug.

Bollywood?

god-tier

They're shit