Q: Do any of you fags play guitar?

Q: Do any of you fags play guitar?
If so, how do you develop calluses faster?
Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10369574
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Play a lot, fag.

Been playing about 12-13 years. Here's how.
Get a steel string acoustic and just practice scales/chords.
All.
Fucking.
Day.

If your shit bleeds, keep playing. It's gonna take time, bro, no matter what. But learning an instrument requires patience and discipline anyways.

If you can at least stick with it, you'll have rock hard calluses before you know it.

bumping

Yup. Every free moment you get, pick up that axe and walk up and down a few scales. Pentatonic, Major, Minor, Blues, whatever. Just play as much as you can, as often as you can.

Play every day.

It doesn't have to be an absuuurrd amount of time every day but make it at least 15-20min.
If you're up for/can handle more just make sure you don't get too much pain going, it's not actually a good thing.

The hugest mistake I see in newer guitarists is to play until you bleed 1 day a week instead of the above..

Play for hours a day, use thicker gauge strings if you're using 9's

Rubbing alcohol toughens the skin, and keep playing.

just keep playing man, until your fingers bleed

This is a bad idea lol.. Bleeding makes the process far longer... Acoustic guitars are a good idea though.. I'd go with Nylon for a new player though.

Just keep playing man. I've been playing for three years and I can barely develop callouses. They're there, but because of my exema they peel off every few months and I have to build them back up, just be lucky you don't have to deal with that shit.

play acoustic guitars that aren't forgiveable/harder to press down. it will build finger strength and calluses

I play the cello, but similar concept.
Even if you're not playing, you can just rub your fingers on the fingerboard like if you were doing vibrato to toughen them up.

Oh yeah, this too, my first guitar had a really high action, so it was harder to push down on the frets, but it paid off in the end when I built up a little callous and switched to a guitar with lower action. Felt like a god all of a sudden haha, I still mostly play guitars with slightly higher action to this day for that reason.

OP
practice, practice and lets not forget practice.
Scales and chords.

My favorite finger exercise is literally playing the chromatic scale four notes at a time. Play four notes, again on the next string and so on until the last, then move up one fret and start over. Even as a decent player it's still a massive workout to do the chromatic scale for twelve frets - that being said my endurance isn't where it should be.

play a lot. i used to play for 3 - 4 hours a day

If you just started it will take you week or two. Also, dont press strings too hard.

Have you tried chicken gristle? The friction and essential oils of the gristle make my hands silky and robust.

I picked up the guitar maybe 3 years ago...
After a while it stops hurting and you realize that not only do they callus, but they lose feeling.
can't feel my middle 3 finger tips. play until you can;t from the pain...do that like 4 or 5 times. never feel those fingers

You don't. Like everything else in life, it takes time. Just practice every day and it'll eventually stop hurting. Don't expect rock hard calluses either, it's subtle.

I've been playing for 10+ years, practice constantly, personally I watch tv while playing to enable multitasking. The calluses will come. I heard that soaking your fingertips in acetone like nail polish remover can help speed up the process.

You're welcome, faggot.

Just fucking play the thing and stop worrying about dumb shit. Callouses will happen when they happen. Just play until your hands feel a bit raw and then hang it up for the day. In like 2 weeks, you'll be fine. Don't play til you bleed like that one retard said.

I used to touch a lighter flame to my fingertips, and press them on the table.
Not for long, 2-5 seconds. Don't hurt yourself. it helps prevents blistering.
Bassist for 29 years

play, and play through the pain.

lost, again

OP here, Ive been playing for four years now.

Played guitar and bass for 20+ years now. There are no shortcuts for callouses, only ways to make it take longer.

DO:
* PLAY SOME EVERY DAY - doesn't have to be for hours, but at least 15-20 mins every day. Basically enough to make your fingertips sore.
* Use an acoustic - not that there's something magical about acoustics, but the action (string height above fretboard) tends to be higher than electrics. This means you have to press further (eg harder) to get a good string tone; this extra bit of force will toughen your fingers faster.

DON'T:
* Play until your fingers bleed - as has already been said, this will actually make it harder/take longer to develop callouses since you'll have to wait on your fingers to heal. The resulting scar tissue (if you *really* fuck it up bad) might possibly maybe make for a "stronger" callous, but I frankly think that's bullshit
* Pick or peel at your fingertips. Just, duh.

Heavier gauge strings don't make a material difference if you're truly new to the instrument and have no callouses at all.

Extra thoughts:
Work on making good standard strum patterns natural.
Work on cleanly fretting various chords (including barre chords!)
Above all: work on *listening* to the sounds of the chords and esp of the individual notes that each string is contributing. Develop your ear to hear the fractional off-pitch beats.

i rock at guitar
i got 630k on ttfaf 5* expert beat it faggots

I play four years a day

play everyday even for a few minutes
use an acoustic guitar
and go try rock climbing or those indoor climbing gyms

they just sorta happen one day. you gotta put in some work everyday for about a month or 2. practice big POWER CHORDS and SLIDE the hand up and down a lot, playing the chords. you'll only be able to do so for 10-15 mins, eventually you'll notice you can do it longer.

Electric guitar is more encouraging to start on.. can actually play for a bit without it hurting. where as acoustic pretty much hurts from the start.

Also maybe switch to bass haha. i play both

play until it hurts. and go beyond that.
i play guitar for 8 years.
practice, practice practice.
never give up, only then you'll become a decent guitarist.

don't go immediately into difficult stuff. learn chords and scales.

learning an instrument asks a lot of discipline and patience, and HARD FUCKING WORK.

good luck, OP

just use superglue ya dumb

Totally agree: electric is far more fun much sooner ...but you won't build the solid foundation you need to be a truly decent (and maybe even good) guitarist if you don't start with all the "boring" fundamentals.

eat your fingertips

thanks Sup Forumsro

no problem. what guitar do you rock?

i'm a poorfag, and bought the Epiphone SG-400 when i was 15.
worked hard for it, started when i was 13 lol.

i gave my first guitar away to a beginner, for the promise if he gives the guitar away for free to another beginner.

Whenever you're sitting around doing nothing and killing time (waiting in line, in a waiting room, etc), take your driver's license or a credit/debit card, hold it in your hand and press your fingertips into it like a guitar string. Other than actually playing the guitar, thats the only thing I can think of.

stop being a faggot

strawpoll.me/10369574

choose

Just play like fuck. You'll get there eventually. Use copper or steel strings, though.

On top of building calluses you should really take the time and learn a little bit of music theory while you're still early into it. Trust me it will help out a fuckton later when you're not shit anymore. Don't start learnimg chord names and the physical notes after 10 years like my retarded self did. Now I have to think about things twice when learning a song.

Have fun.

Krazy glue on fingertips makes a nice artificial callous

Can't believe it's 50/50. That old hag is damaged goods.

Got a Fender acoustic, new Squire and old Ibanez gio. costs less than 500$ all together

play more faggot

If you've been playing for four years and your calluses haven't developed, you're doing something wrong.

I am familiar with like 20 chords and can go through scales, I don't know how to read music though...

play more, you fag

ill try that kek

I can play guitar, chords and tab

play on a steel string acoustic, it will shred your baby virgin fingers faster than shit and you will feel as strong as the hulk when you go back to playing your electric

not consistently playing, i started going at it again for a year

Just play for like two days and they'll be ready faggot

op here, Should i use crazy glue or rubber cement?

Do small cuts with sharp knife, then put your fingers in salt.

A lot of people suggest this and it's a profoundly bad idea. It doesn't work, and the way that superglue works is by sucking moisture out of whatever it's touching to dry--meaning that what's close to your fingers might dry a lot faster than what's sitting on dry superglue. Meaning you might get superglue all over the fingerboard.

If you really love playing guitar, you'll play often enough that you won't really mind the pain until you have callouses. If you love it enough, you'll get the callouses. If you don't love it, then you bother playing.

Neither, for fuck's sake. It's a really bad idea.

>Ibanez
You mean I been had

/thread.

Theres no real way to develop callouses quicker, they just happen on there own. Well, thats kind of a lie, mine really sprung up when I started playing lead guitar and sliding/bending strings, but if you are a beginner dont bother with that till you got the basic open chord shit down.

Just keep playing mazn, before you know it youll be able to extinguish cigarettes on your finger tips without feeling a thing.

I admire the way you start by saying the thread is closed but then try to contribute more.

Thats how I roll nigga. But what that user i quoted said is basically true.

no

I've been playing for 6 years now and have have
solid fingertips. Done this by starting on metal string acoustic
and electric. Nylon will not do anything. Play scales/chords on the electric mostly until you feel that you are ready for acoustic
as acoustic takes time to get used to

>If so, how do you develop calluses faster?

playing guitar regularly...you'll have them soon enough. I got mine faster by fingering your mum every night for like two weeks straight, m8.

You sure showed him, user

got 'em even faster from fingering your mum too, m8.

>not getting 5 gold star left handed when you are a right handed guitarest
faggot

kill youtrself and hope to die dundadanna

>how do you develop calluses faster?
Find the roughest set of guitar strings you can, and rub your fingers as hard as you can along the fretboard, preferably over the thickest strings. Basically just try to cause as much chaffing and soreness to your finger pads as possible in any way you can.

Or you can just play with flatwound or nylon strings to completely negate the need for calluses in the first place

Now usually I'd say
>DO IT FAGGET
but I'm gunna be nice and say
>MAN THE FUCK UP AND GET USED TO IT

guitar god user here, this is all u need to know

- play lots but dont get blisters or bleed, that slows ur progress and disincentives playing.
- make sure youre playing with a VERTICAL angle to the string when ur playing (make a 90 degree by tucking ur thumb round the back of the guitar. people usually get butthurt about this technique but look up buckethead, this is how you get fasssttt
- u will develop calluses after a few months but if its painful without, youre playing too hard, loosen up bro

rinse n repeat step 2 for large success
guitar god out

you dont
your fingers will hurt for the eternity

Don't start with nylon. Sounds like shit imo.

Start with acoustic.

Play everyday. Buy 10 gauge strings for your acoustic. Check out Opeth. TABS BRO, tabs tabs and more tabs. Learn tunes you like.

Good luck.

Acoustic for sure, it's not like you're going to sound good for the first 3 months anyways.

This

I play with them more than playing them if that makes sense. I only know a handful of songs

m8 I started getting calluses within 3 months of solid playing everyday for a 1 hour back in 2011. Do you play on occasion instead of playing everyday like you're suppose to?

nice dude.

SG models are recommended btw

If your fingers hurt press the strings lighter. Calluses take about a week to form if you play daily.

been playing 20+ years and have toured internationally.

just keep playing and it happens naturally.
dont be a bitch and power through. if it hurts too much spend the recuperation time studying theory.

dont be a bitch.

>ibanez gio
>fender sticker

wat?

Just play more. Songs with lots of slides and bends could help.